5/09/2006

1. Filmmaking 101

I've been around a lot of filmmakers for a lot of years. I'm sure I've picked up some pretty valuable insights along the way, maybe, so seeing as we're all about encouraging creativity here at G3tfilms I'll share a few tid-bits with you.

Lot's of filmmakers are paranoid about their ideas being stolen, and on that subject:

"Leave your scripts on park benches in the hope they're stolen" - Billy Marshall-Stoneking

I'm not sure if Billy suggested it because if someone stole your idea you'd at least know it was a half decent script, or if it was because it's easier to sue someone for stealing your ideas than realising your vision on the big-screen, but I do know that after following Billy around Sydney for a while in the hope of picking up a good script he doesn't leave his writing laying around.

Shame, he's a pretty good writer, but a much better if not tongue-in-cheek public speaker.

Yeah, OK, I just wanted to update and between work, a friends post-engagement pre-wedding party, another friends 36th birthday, and subsequent recovery time I hadn't really looked at the film thing last week. Although I did get to work out the 'hair' issue and introduce myself to the weird and magical world of HDR photography (which may or may not play a part in my film depending on if I can work out how to do it).

Take: 2

Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Leave it on a park bench!

Well, maybe not, but there are three things to be aware of...

1. You own the intellectual property without even writing a word. If someone steals the idea they'll have to pay you. But how to prove it... mmmmm.

2. Join a writers guild. The Aussie one allows you to email your drafts to them and they keep it on file and issue you with a reciept.

3. Tell me the idea, I'll steal it and turn your book into a broadway musical/flea circus starring Paris Hilton finely diced into a glass barrel. Wait, no, I mean, you could just write it down in a thing called a 'book' instead of boring people by only talking about what a good book idea is.

Wed May 10, 10:51:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

No?! What are you talking about? You can't expect me to remember everything.

Are you ever going to email me a couple of chapters??

Thu May 11, 01:07:00 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home