5/11/2006

Beast Adrift

free video hosting
Free Video Hosting


That's probably my least favourite film. Mostly because I never really wanted to make it. It shows in lack of key frames and absolutely no development in the story, which would have been easy to produce with a couple of extra little scenes to show the passage of time.

Why did I make it? Well, last year I attended a film event called RoughCut that was being run by Tropfest and Sony. RoughCut's a pretty good event for networking. At the end of the event they announced that any filmmaker who had attended RoughCut could win a $10,000 High-Definition digital film camera and all they had to do was put a film into Tropfest. It didn't matter how good or, in my case, bad the film. From what I could tell there was about 30 or 40 filmmakers there planning to put films into Tropfest. I liked the odds. I didn't win the camera but at least I made a crappy film. I should have just had sock puppets dancing on the screen for 10 seconds, would have been easier.

As usual though, I did learn a lot from the process of making the film and the way I made it is going to come in very handy for this next project. I did like some of the modelling on the ship, the smoke and the lion. At least, this time, I have a story I believe in. To give you an idea of how I made the characters in 'Beast Adrift' here's a photo of the original Lion 'puppet' taking a ride on the back of my mouse.

Take: 19

Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Dude, when they got to the beach you could have had them say, "LET'S DANCE!"

You'd have totally won. As far as the film goes, it totally kicks the holy living crapp out ofany movie I've ever made. It sure was a lot better than the following movies:
Life Aquatic
Pulp Fiction
Cellular

I could go on and on with crappy movies, but this one of yours wouldn't be on it.

Fri May 12, 09:06:00 am

 
Blogger Gyrobo mused...

Dance! Bailamos! Costa Rica!

Fri May 12, 12:12:00 pm

 
Blogger concerned citizen mused...

Why did you have to go & say that!! I loved it. The umbrella was a nice touch.

Of course i am a unsophisticated hick that knows nothing about 'film-making' <---see how that sounds?
Don't ever diss yourself in life. believe me there are plenty of people around to do it for you. :)

I'm going to check out the rest of your blog, now.
Chow!!

Sun May 14, 01:47:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Dang Squid! Why didn't I think of that! That would have been awesome. Next time, next time...

Thanks, I'm really glad you liked it. For me, a film should express your 'unique' point of view or take you on an emotional or imagined physical journey. I never really felt this one did it for me, it could have, but I was a little lazy with it because I was only making it to serve one purpose... to enter a lottery.

If I had animated it better, with more key frames, or added a few short scenes showing the passage of time while the antelope was up on the umbrella handle I'd feel differently about it. Tis no big thing, every film-making-type-person is allowed to be dissatisfied with their work at least once or twice.

Mon May 15, 09:26:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Gyrobo! RecepciĆ³n!

Bailamos? GuƔrdese de los zapatos rojos! Odense, Denmark!

Mon May 15, 09:35:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Hey l>t, That's one the things I love about filmmaking, whatever your tastes, you can find it out there to watch. Which can be a scary sometimes, depending on your tastes. The umbrella was the signature item, which has to be in every Tropfest film, for that year. But yeah, I thought it was a cute way to use it.

As for the dissing, self deprecation is part of the Aussie way. A lot of American producers I've chatted to don't understand it either but as I've said to them 'Don't take it so seriously it's just a cultural difference'.

And Hey, anyone who loses their ability to self critique should work in Hollywood, um, whoops, I mean, should be worried about their future in the film business.

Thanks for dropping bye, I haven't made it past that funky weird little fella Gyrobo's site yet but I drop by your blog soon.

Mon May 15, 09:55:00 am

 
Blogger Gyrobo mused...

It's times like these I wish I knew how to speak Fish.

Mon May 15, 12:38:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Your wish is my HTML tag!

Mon May 15, 01:17:00 pm

 
Blogger Ticharu mused...

I watched all of your movies and I'm a huge fan! What your films lack in star power you make up for with emotional substance. This film had me on the edge of my seat, I laughed, I cried, I heaved! (sea sick)
My daughter was not so impressed. She said, "I wanted to pass out so I wouldn't have to listen to it anymore"
I threw her outside and told her to think about her big mistake!

Mon May 15, 10:29:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Well after listening to 6 or so pieces on the Plum Flower Dripping site I have to say I'm a fan of what you're doing as well. And thanks for the compliment, I don't think I ever made anyone throw up before!

You should let your daughter back inside, if she feels that strongly about it, it's cool. Although can I suggest tying her to a chair and making her watch it over, and over, and over, and over, and...

at least until she also throws up.

Tue May 16, 09:16:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Oh, and just because I was thinking about it; star-power. The two main voice artists I use, Monica Cooper and Banjo Fitzsimmon are both huge stars, to me.

Monica is easily one of the best voice artists I've ever worked with, her voice is gorgeous and she isn't afraid to take direction and run with it. Banjo is equally awesome. As a performer he was quite celebrated for his role in Orange Love Story and as a director (who I've worked with as DOP) is one of those guys you'll go to any length to 'get that shot'. Talented and amazing people, man, that's what it's all about.

With animation I guess it doesn't really matter, most people wouldn't know the 'stars' from the Japanese language versions of the Studio Ghibli films but they're easily some of the best voice artists in animation today.

Tue May 16, 09:59:00 am

 
Blogger SafeTinspector mused...

It was cute! I like how they stayed friends, even though the lion's original interest in his antellope friend was purely culinary in nature.

This reminds me of many real-life situations when I've been pre-judged on the basis of what a nice meal I'd make.

Tue May 16, 10:29:00 pm

 
Blogger Ticharu mused...

Actually, I just like to razz people, the truth of it is that the film technique on Knowing Strangers is dead cool. I can see why you'd get an award for it.
And hey, listening to 6 Plum Flower tracks is a huge compliment just by itself!
If you ever want to do a music video for the net keep me in mind! Something freaky like Knowing Strangers would be the bomb with a bizarre soundtrack.

Tue May 16, 11:26:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

SafeT, it's your bizarre habit of using jelly doughnuts as a makeshift aftershave that gives people the 'tasty' impression. If you switch to vegemite I don't think you'll have that problem.

And between you and me, nobody really got along with Antelope on set, he was a bit of a princess.

Wed May 17, 09:57:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Ticharu, if you'd seen my old blog you'd understand just how much I like a razzing.

And yeah, there's some good stuff on your site. I really liked 'Strappado M' and 'Smoke and Oil'. I'll listen to more as time goes by.

I always look around for cool music for my films, has to suit the film of course, so as I get closer to developing the timing and pace of my current project I may come with hat in hand asking to use something.

Wed May 17, 10:09:00 am

 
Blogger SafeTinspector mused...

I don't think I can get vegemite or marmite or any other yeast spread in the states.
I think I've decided the closest cultural equivalent would be Ranch dressing. I've some of that!

Thu May 18, 01:06:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Oh why don't you just post a huge 'Eat Me' sign on your head SafeT! I can just see the hoards following you around drooling like Zombies in 'Shaun of the Dead'.

Thu May 18, 02:24:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

This fim makes me think of one of my favorite books, "Life of Pi"

You are a rockstar

Tue Jun 27, 04:08:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

I'd like to welcome the person from Sony Australia who is currently checking out the site.

I use Sony cameras for all my filmmaking, keep up the good work! The new HD range is great.

Now, you can send the cheque to... just jokes, feel free to check out the other films listed on the right of the page.

PS. Roughcut keeps getting better, keep doing it.

:)

Thu Nov 02, 10:27:00 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home