5/18/2006

Background

It's probably time to put up another film, but I'm waiting on something. So this'll have to do in the meantime.

When I was a boy... OK, not that sort of background. The other type. I love using multiple medias in my films because I like the richness it gives to the look of my animations. It's also a lot faster and cheaper (hey, I wish it wasn't but for me it's a consideration) to use something like a photo for a background than having a matte or 3D artist create something for me. I've recently discovered HDR photography which when done correctly makes for some stunning photos and when done incorrectly or is overworked HDR has the uncanny knack of turning a normal photo into something that looks like it's been painted. Bingo! Exactly what I've been looking for in terms of my next production. Of course, backgrounds and environments in animations move and unless you're Harry Potter, photos don't. I can change that, the window in Knowing Strangers is a prime example of taking a still (of a closed window) and with a little movie magic making it move. So this is my first attempt at using HDR (nothing exciting, just my dining room, excuse the mess);

One of the originals


The final


Not great yet, but I know where it's going.

Oh yeah, and when I was a boy my parents gave me a bible I thought it was the coolest thing because it had heaps of pages and I could turn it into one of those flick animation books. I got into a lot of trouble, but it was totally worth it to see the swordfight that ended with one of the knights losing his head and then being chased away (headless) by a dog. Animation Rocks!

Take: 16

Blogger SafeTinspector mused...

Wait, there's a mess there?!?

Thu May 18, 01:05:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Yeah SafeT, can't you see someone did a Dali in the corner!

Thu May 18, 01:35:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

They're totally cool. I used to do them in nearly every book I owned, but the bible one was the coolest because it had so many pages. I'd love to digitise a few and post them but since I started to win the occasional award my mum won't let me get near them.

Oh the outlets, yeah, flow on effect from the Dali. Twisted everything in the room! Well, I am in another country, we do things a little differently, I've been told it's actually the US ones that are 'messed up'.

Thu May 18, 01:41:00 pm

 
Blogger Ticharu mused...

It would have been funny if the swordsman had burned in hell at the end of the book! A future project maybe...

Thu May 18, 11:08:00 pm

 
Blogger concerned citizen mused...

Many of us started our drawing careers in church. i used to sit & draw in Church all the time. My brother & I would play all kinds of games on paper. One of our favorites was picture words.
The picture of an egg + the picture of an ear of corn =?

We also invented a family called the ding-dongs after my brother was circumsized at 5yrs. old.
My mother had a fit when she found the ding-dong money we had so carefully drawn on lined paper, cut out in dollar sized shapes, w/drawings of circumsized penises on them.
She threw them in the woodstove, & we watched our little ding dongs burn up.

Fri May 19, 01:07:00 am

 
Blogger JLee mused...

nice blog! I think you'll appreciate the music video I posted today...

Fri May 19, 08:01:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Eeeerrrpppp, I've been playing too much to be here. But seeing as I've stopped playing...

Tich, Oh the irony of it all... dang, yes, next time I'll become a swordsman and burn in hell for drawing in a bible.

l>t Nooooooooooo, not the ding-dongs!!!! Nobody should burn ding-dongs. Damnable religous purges. Now that could be a future project, if it works for the Simpsons then why not the Ding-dongs. Oh, and the egg plus the corn would be an emaciated chicken, an egg's going to need more than a ear of corn to grow up to be strong and healthy.

jlee, nice spam!

Mon May 22, 10:29:00 am

 
Blogger SafeTinspector mused...

RIch, there's a Dali in both the top and bottom pictures...I'm not sure what I'm looking for.
Have I ever told you I'm not very good with visual stuff?

Mon May 22, 11:37:00 am

 
Blogger SafeTinspector mused...

The lighting seems different between the two, I figured it was time-of-day or some such?

Mon May 22, 11:38:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Sorry SafeT, I was just using the word Dali in place of another four letter word. There is no mess, it's just something that is usually said by my girl even though the house is completely spotless. All our guests are like ????.

The difference between the two is that the bottom is a High Dynamic Range photo. You take a few (in this case 5) seperate photos of the same shot using different light stops and then combine all the photo's digitally to get the best light from all of them. Which is why in the second photo you can see outside, something that can't readily be done with a single exposure. I like the way HDR gives a photo a more 'painted' feel.

My stuff is rubbish at the moment, but this is only my first experiment with the technique. Some people are much, much better.

Mon May 22, 12:54:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

...waiting for new video to be encoded...

Mon May 22, 01:30:00 pm

 
Blogger JLee mused...

That did sound like spam, didn't it! haha Of course, by the time you looked, I probably posted another video, but it's "Go to Sleep" by Radiohead. Very cool animation.

Tue May 23, 12:38:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Is that a huge pyrex dildo on top of the bookcase?

Thu Jun 08, 12:15:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

OMG! Athena!

Are you Jealous of me and my huge pyrex dildo? Cause you should be! I love it! Wait! That's a Galileo thermometer! You goose.

Fri Jun 09, 03:33:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»

Tue Jul 18, 10:17:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Super color scheme, I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
»

Fri Jul 21, 06:32:00 am

 

<< Home