6/01/2006

Something to post, something to post.

Nothing to really post about... which I guess is as relevant as 99% of the other blogs out here. I've been keeping myself busy, which is why I haven't encoded any more videos, mostly with writing. And procrastinating on the writing, I prefer telling stories rather than writing them down.

I've also been trying to settle on the main two characters names. That mostly consists of finding a cool name, definitely Japanese because of the style of the animation this time around, and then googling it to see what other animators have used it and what their characters are like. The last thing I want is to appear to be ripping-off some long standing successful character and have that characters personality eclipse my characters.

So, having decided upon the names I need to ask some of my Japanese friends what they think of the innate characteristics of the name, you know, some names have connotations all of their own. Look at the name Richard, 95% of characters named Richard in film tend to be sleaze-ball-baddies, the other 5% are Richard the Lion Heart. That may seem silly, the characters are who they are based on the actors and the direction, but who wants to make a romantic film and then have the Japanese audience be like 'I didn't like that cause all blah-blah's tend to be sleazy not romantic'.

So, that's pretty much where I at; playing, playing, little work, playing. Oh, and for some unknown reason someone wanted me to post something 'personal' (as if my films aren't personal enough) sooooo, I don't have milk in my coffee! Shhhhh, keep it to yourselves.

Take: 13

Blogger concerned citizen mused...

Sooo rich drinks his coffee black. that's interesting.

I really hope you will post your new film?

Thu Jun 01, 10:51:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

l>t, yes I do, no it's not.

Probably not any time soon. These things have their own life and will decide when they're ready to be made public through the web.

Thu Jun 01, 11:52:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Akiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaa

Teeeeeeeeeetssssssssuooooooooo

Akiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaa

Teeeeeeeeeetssssssssuooooooooo

Akiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaa

Teeeeeeeeeetssssssssuooooooooo

15 mins later...

Akiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaa

Teeeeeeeeeetssssssssuooooooooo

20 mins later...

Whew, don't know what that was about but what a cool film!
It's almost worth doing the same scene with Yoshi and the Mario Bros.

Thu Jun 01, 02:42:00 pm

 
Blogger SafeTinspector mused...

Can't go bad with Ryu. Lots of heros and ninjas named Ryu.
Although Akira and Tetsuo are nice, too.

Thu Jun 01, 08:39:00 pm

 
Blogger concerned citizen mused...

Yeah, I think I understand that. painting is like that in a sense.They never interpret on canvas the same way as the initial blueprint on paper. At some point you have to let go & let it flow. I would like to try your medium but, could never put the energy in it that it would require, I don't think.

Fri Jun 02, 07:35:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

SafeT, Ryu is an awesome name and who could go wrong with naming a character after a ninja. Ninjas have a whole level of unspeakable cool (kinda like pirates).

I've actually already chosen the names, they've not been overused and the protagonists name has an added significance to the plot. The girls name was harder though, it's scary how many names have been used for anime of questionable values. Which I like, but not in relation to this story.

Fri Jun 02, 08:52:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Hahaha, my medium, hahaha, it's not as hard as painting. Once you've finished an animation it's out there, there's no going back without considerable time/expense/problems so you learn to live with your mistakes very quickly.

Whereas, painting is immediate. You can change the whole feeling of a painting with a brush stroke. The painting has to imbue a feeling at a glance. I have ages to set up the emotions, explain why things are happening, you don't have that luxury. Paintings are definately harder, and you can never even be sure if you're finished or not.

Fri Jun 02, 09:00:00 am

 
Blogger concerned citizen mused...

'Imbueing the feeling at a glance.'
That is the goal of painting abstract, alright! & when you do it it feels awesome.

I definately know when a painting is done. because until then, there is always this urge to keep going back.
The trick is to not to over do in the initial stages. Save the finishing touches for last. This is a common mistake that people make.
All good creative expression is a balance of spontenaity & disipline, isn't it?

So, do you set it ALL up first & then lay it out, so to speak?

Fri Jun 02, 09:44:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

I can't pretend to be a painter but those I do know have paintings that they've been working for two years or more. It's never taken me that long to 'finish' an animation.

I totally agree that it is a balance between spontaneity and discipline but with film the spontaneity lasts for the first '5 mins' then the rest is discipline. Because film is a 'group' endeavour, yes, everything is set-up first and then it's laid out. The only time there's a change is when the actors have a spontaneous moment of brillance, which I believe is really just the artist relaxing enough to allow the culmination of their experiences and hard work to flow. It's all about working hard on your art, and loving every moment of it.

Fri Jun 02, 10:10:00 am

 
Blogger SafeTinspector mused...

Show us some frames!

Sat Jun 03, 01:43:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Yes, yes it does!!!!

Mon Jun 05, 11:26:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Frames? Of Akira or my latest film?

If, as I suspect, you mean my latest film, I can't just yet. I've been using a character model that I don't own and I'm in the process of finishing some documents that will hopefully allow me to use it.

Mon Jun 05, 11:28:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Hi! Just want to say what a nice site. Bye, see you soon.
»

Tue Jul 18, 10:17:00 pm

 

<< Home