6/05/2006

Typing

Making films is loads of fun. In fact telling stories is just an unavoidable part of me, it's what I do. Recently a friend during an introduction said that I write fantastic scripts, do I? Do I really? The simple answer is No, capital n.

Writing scripts is somewhat of a bother. Let me tell you a story and I can move you. I've made people laugh, or more illustratively, I've told people stories that have left them blinking tears from their eyes. But when it comes to writing or should I say typing I tend to falter, I procrastinate, I am right now in fact.

It should be easy, it is after all just taking dictation from my own mind of a story I've told myself probably hundreds of times. I know what the characters say, I know what they do, I know how they hold their bodies or the way they play with their hair or look at their hands. But it's just a struggle to get it down on the computer in a recognised form. I was telling a friend that I believed it was the way I interact with technology or it's lack of interaction with me, but I think it might actually be the way my mind works. When I'm telling a story I don't think about it, I barely even hear the words, it just flows. When I'm typing I have to think about it. I add a detail, then skip forward or backward to allow a change that results from that addition. I'll add a screen direction or think of the camera angle, that's really distracting as it has nothing to do with the story. Basically, I think in several directions at once as you can see from the following page... don't bother trying to read it, I can't.



Well, it's either that, or I listen too much to my little friend Jape.



Yes, that's probably the problem. Jape turns up everywhere.

Take: 7

Blogger concerned citizen mused...

i know this dosen't really compare but when I am working on a painting i do some writting about what i'm thinking of pertaining to the concept & do some drawings of diff. compositions. thots on what i'm really doing, stuff like that. ( people always want to know what I was thinking when did the painting hA hA)
some times when I read it all back to myself it just sounds like crazy talk or silly. but, i contribute that to not being able to put down in words what's in my head. & I don't have to stick to a script. writting out the concept of a painting is just a way to get ideas to flow.

So how much do you have to stick to the script?

Mon Jun 05, 02:31:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

I think you should post some of your meanderings along with your paintings. That would be interesting to see.

As much or as little as I think is appropriate, I apply my discretion based on what the actor is doing. Sometimes I give them their head because it's going in an interesting direction and other times I hold them back because where they're going will distract from the flow of the story. But you do need a script to begin with, and for that... type, type, type...

Mon Jun 05, 03:10:00 pm

 
Blogger Marc Deckter mused...

Hi Rich - thanks for commenting on my blog!

I checked out some of the multimedia/animation you've got up here at G3T films - cool stuff! The Chocolate Easter Bunny is really fun, and that "Knowing Strangers" piece is really interesting too! I was trying to watch "Whirligig" but its not streaming right on my computer - too bad because the content seems really interesting!

Anyways, keep up the good work - I'll check back again!

Mon Jun 05, 03:28:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Hey Marc. No, thank you.

Your CastleBERDskillz is fantastic. I keep drifting back over there to play with all your interactive rooms. It's a lot of fun, or I'm bored, no, no, I pretty sure it's fun.

Stay Cool

Mon Jun 05, 03:48:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Or I could just type... ;)

Murp-eeeeee!!!! You can tell Murp, "Fidelity". He won't know what I mean but at least he rocks!

Tue Jun 06, 08:45:00 am

 
Blogger SafeTinspector mused...

DRINK IT ALL, YOU FOOOOL!!!!

Tue Jun 06, 08:42:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

I DID!

Fri Jun 09, 03:44:00 pm

 

<< Home