10/29/2007

What time is it? I have no idea. Really!

So, a couple of weeks ago I was walking through the film studio part of the school when I noticed one of our young female directors diligently working on a wonderful little 1:6 scale set. Of course this means one of two things, she cant find a location to suit her film and decided to do a miniature instead, or her film was entirely 1:6 scale. As the set was of a pretty typical looking Australian backyard I figured it wasn't a location issue, no, this set had the definite smell of, well, paint and glue actually, but speaking metaphorically it smelt of one of my favourite things ever... that's right...



I nonchalantly stopped and started chatting... yes, this was indeed a set for a Stop Motion film. Excitement! Great to know that type of project was being endorsed by the School. As we discussed the medium, history of stop motion, her story, etc, it came to light that she was having a little trouble with the guys making her puppets. They weren't making them. In fact, her production didn't seem to have any progressed further than having some photos of what the puppets should kinda look like. Although, she did have some of the most beautifully crafted armatures, the metal moveable skeletons inside a Stop Motion Puppet, I have ever seen. I mean, I've used wire armatures myself but these things were machined metal with alan key adjustments on the individual ball joints. Um, these things are what the pro's use... in a student film... um... "I've done a little sculpting, mould making, casting ... in essence I make puppets!" Of course... not quite this sophisticated before. "oh, you need them on set in a few days... um... let me think... I'm Directing a documentary... a lot of work, I have to write an essay... a lot of work. I have a day job... a lot of work. No, I absolutely cannot... say no to working on this level with puppets."

So that's where I am at the moment. Every spare moment. Until at least 2am. Sculpting under a magnifying glass. Embedding finished models in clay. Pouring difficult undercut multi-medium multiple part moulds. Making sure armatures are properly prepared and in working order. Shopping for chemicals that when mixed together properly create flexible foams. Running tests on every single part of the process to make sure I know how to use those chemicals. Basically, planning for every possible thing that could go possibly go wrong in the final casting because I only have a few days to make these puppets before they're due on set.

I'm obviously crazy, well, maybe not... After shopping for chemicals the other day I stopped in on a mates place for a BBQ (Their place is close to the shop I went too and they were offering us dinner, perfect!) and as I was saying see-ya-laters I mentioned to some other friends why I had to take off early. Well apparently their son runs this place. I'll set up a meeting with him when he's back from a major make-up job in Bollywood to have a look at his studio... Bonus!

Well I hope you're all not as busy as me but I hope you're having fun out there.

Take: 28

Blogger Diana Crabtree mused...

FIRST!

(What's the point of writing first? Just wondering)

If it inspires you, it is totally worth it to get involved in an extra project. Just stop sleeping.

Those puppets in the link are cool!

Mon Oct 29, 12:23:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

I don't think there is a point to writing first Diana. Just as long as you comment, I'm happy.

Yeah, that was kinda my thinking too. When will be the next chance of working on a project like this... probably never, better take the chance. And yes, I have stopped sleeping. Although yesterday I did have to stop, my sixth day in a row of 2am or later and I just couldn't function anymore. I didn't start work yesterday until about 3pm and I went to bed at 12:30am. It was bliiiiiiiiiiiiiissssssssssssss!

Yeah, I'd love to work... nah, volunteer with that business. We'll see what happens.

Mon Oct 29, 01:19:00 pm

 
Blogger Diana Crabtree mused...

THIRD!

Oh boy, now you are going to volunteer with that business too? Whew! OK, that worries me a little. But like you said, when the opportunity presents itself, you don't want to miss it. I will only condone you volunteering with the company if you promise to make a puppet in the shape of the new Rich charachter in all your posts.

Mon Oct 29, 03:22:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

I dont think I'd offer any of my time until AFTER semester closes... mind you... I have to get my head operated on in there somewhere too.

When I have some time I'll definitely make a 'Rich' character for you. I'll even send it States side if you promise to put on a puppet show for us :)

Mon Oct 29, 03:37:00 pm

 
Blogger Diana Crabtree mused...

I'm writing the script now. (tell me, will he be anatomically correct?)

Tue Oct 30, 05:16:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Ummm... can be, if you REALLY want him to be?!

Wed Oct 31, 12:45:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

You're not crazy, man. Crazy, would be trying to do it all in clay!

(see also: me)

Wed Oct 31, 09:43:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Hey Pram, welcome to GetFilms! Oh, I am crazy, any of the regulars here will confirm it... but it's good crazy... sorta...

The set for this production is really quite elaborate and the Director is pursuing a very realistic style so I'm not sure that an all-clay character would really fit in. Thankfully! I don't think an animator with limited sculpting abilities would make it through the shoot meaning I'd have to be on set 24/7 to re-sculpt between moves... and then I may as well be animating it myself. Yeah, I much prefer the idea of dropping off the puppets and getting back on track with my own project.

Thu Nov 01, 09:02:00 am

 
Blogger Rita mused...

Hi! it's just me L>T.
I am reviving this old blog so I can be myself, again (whatever that means)
I would love to have nothing to do but play...in the clay...all day...

Thu Nov 01, 07:09:00 pm

 
Blogger Is it sync'd yet? mused...

freaking awesome. How much fun is messing with that kind of stuff.


By the way my love for the one word cartoons goes on. I think you have created your own cartoon medium here. Single word, let picture do the talking. Once you looks at the puppet picture you realize the significance of the multiple mirror view of the puppet. So much to do and it just keeps going on and on...

Anyway...the cartoons kill me. I am going to have to make one of my own in the very near future. I am inspired. Maybe I will make it out of glass....hum...

Gnat.
.

Fri Nov 02, 02:49:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Hey Rich, I agree about the clay thing. I absolutely hate resculpting every frame. Not a day goes by that I'm not experimenting with different materials and hoping to get the look of clay without all of the maintenance.

One day...

I don't give up easily.

Fri Nov 02, 02:58:00 am

 
Blogger Scarlet Hip mused...

Are you going to be famous soon? I need to know when to start seriously kissing your ass.

Fri Nov 02, 11:33:00 am

 
Blogger Diana Crabtree mused...

Yes, I would like it if you would make the puppet anatomically correct, because I have already started the script.

...while you are at it, could you please also make an anatomically correct llama and robot?

Thanks

Sat Nov 03, 02:38:00 pm

 
Blogger Flower mused...

Hi Rich :)
I hope that yer sculpting is coming along just fine! That site is great too..

I have been thinking of putting in a request for you to sculpt me a little something..but I went out and bought one today...say no more!

Hope you are well me dear!
Blessings
Melanie
xo

Mon Nov 05, 10:40:00 am

 
Blogger Mad Munkey mused...

So, are you going to show us the freakin' puppets or what?

Mon Nov 05, 02:33:00 pm

 
Blogger Ticharu mused...

I'm a puppet...

Mon Nov 05, 11:18:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Hey L>t,

Nice rhyme, I only wish this was really was play. Seems like a lot of hard work right about now.

Thu Nov 08, 11:52:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Gnat, It is a lot of fun... I guess... I have to keep reminding myself of that.

Yeah, I like the one worders too. There's bound to be plenty of others that do it better than me though.

Thu Nov 08, 11:54:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Hey Pram. I'm sure there's stuff you can do with silicons. The great thing about them is that they're fairly easy to use and they take on the sheen on whatever their mould medium is. Hmmm, I wonder if using a push mould made of something like frozen plasticine using an air drying silicon skin with foam core would give the look of plasticine... maybe... maybe not... Mind you, I hate the air dry silicon I use. I mix it with d-limonene and silicon tints for painting silicon, and can say that not only is it a pain to work with but the d-limonene is the absolute most vile thing you will ever smell. I don't think it's carcinogenic (it's used in food preperation??) but I always use a full respirator.

Playing with materials like that, it's good that you don't give up easily.

Thu Nov 08, 12:04:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Hey Ms Hip! Um, if my plans work out I'll never be famous. Just working on things I love.

Thu Nov 08, 12:05:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Now, now, Diana, settle. I've looked into shipping costs... they're too large to do anatomically correct puppets.

Thu Nov 08, 12:06:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

The sculpting is going Mel... well, I guess. I can certainly sculpt you something, there's a back log until 2020 at the moment. Hope you don't mind the delay.

Thu Nov 08, 12:08:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Your Madness of Monkey! Hope you're doing well there. I haven't been to your bloggness in ages.

I'm a little disappointed in the final product myself but I'm handing him over the Director and Costumer today. I'll see if the Madam Director minds me posting a pic.

Thu Nov 08, 12:10:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Wow, I didn't even see your lips move when you said that Tichers. You know what that means... you're a crappy puppet. I hear taking a corporate job and wearing a suit helps that though.

Thu Nov 08, 12:11:00 pm

 
Blogger Ticharu mused...

sock puppets don't have lips! :)

Thu Nov 08, 11:36:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Sorry, I must of been thinking of shadow puppets... wait...

Fri Nov 09, 11:50:00 am

 
Blogger Murp! mused...

Puppets on a small scale? Isn't that like, finger puppets? No, wait, that was my high school girl friend...

Fri Nov 09, 03:47:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Ha! Bless ya Murp!

Yeah, everything I do seems to be getting smaller and smaller... before too long I shall be animating atoms and then you'll ALL be in trouble!

Fri Nov 09, 03:55:00 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home