12/13/2007

DONE!

Well, as much as a person can be done when making films.

But I'm certainly done watching the 65 films over the last two days of the festival. There is a sincere depth of talent at the school that resulted in some absolutely incredible films made this semester. It must be said they were not only the work of some wonderfully imaginative Directors, the films that really impressed were those whose entire crew pushed themselves (tirelessly) to bring the film to the screen. If you ever want to study film you could go to a more renowned learning institution but I don't think you'll find many places that allow film-makers the freedom and encouragement of ideas, or the understanding of the need for 'space' film-makers need to find those ideas as Sydney Film School. The school's faculty and board should be really proud of what they're doing in that little building in Waterloo.

Having said that, gawd there was some crap made there too. I made the point of watching all the films produced this semester... I felt like tearing out my eyes at some points. It's so hard when you're a student learning a craft and you go well beyond your means for producing or even fully understanding the ideas you have. But for all those people who fell into that trap I can say that I learnt more from watching those films than I did watching all the films that were beautifully resolved and produced.

So, how'd we do with THIS is Alan Chapman...


Red Door background by Lindsay Anne Black - I love web communities!!!!
Speaking of, a HUGE thank you to Ticharu as well for the use of his music.

Well, GREAT! The film was played on the opening night, a wonderful session for it to be included in as it has the biggest audience and most exposure along with the best crafted films the school can offer.

Now, I could focus on the fact that come awards night none of the judges had a single mention for 'THIS is Alan Chapman' but I fully expected that, a comedic documentary about a non-Australian subject that used a lot of devices normally reserved for Drama was certainly not going to compete with the beautifully turned out doco's which took a more traditional vent on 'serious' subjects. But I can say that 'THIS is Alan Chapman' achieved what it set out to do;

Firstly, to get Alan back up on stage, and didn't THAT work out a treat. After shooting in a Playhouse, Alan was offered an audition and now has his first stage role in 20 years playing Enobarbus in Shakespeare's 'Antony and Cleopatra'. He has since secured himself an agent and continues to be put up for more auditions. Having a real life effect with your film is one of the most fulfilling things I've ever experienced;

And secondly, to help people connect with a film's content by making them laugh. A full cinema audience pealing with laughter again and again is terribly humbling. It's a strange experience knowing you've made an audience come alive like that. I had to sink below the level of my seat to deal with the quiet warmth that creeps into your heart during such an experience. It certainly achieved that aim better than I could have hoped. In fact, it connected with the audience so well on that level it garnered the opening nights Audience Award for Best Documentary. Awww shucks, it appears if you make them laugh they will follow you anywhere!

What else... Oh, forehead slap! Of course, the PUPPET FILM! 'Water off a duck's back' was the first Stop Motion made at Sydney Film School. It only won BEST FILM in FESTIVAL! Pia (Director and Set Designer), Jesse (Animator), Pia's Dad (Armatures and Props) worked their asses off to make that film happen. The final film was brilliant and truly deserving of the award. It was certainly nice to be part of the team that helped bring it into existence. Well done Pia Dulu, I'm terribly proud of what she achieved!


So what's next, SLEEP! And then I'm going to try and get as much work done before my operation... oh yeah, can't forget that I've been doing all this while dealing with a tumour... pat on the back for me, can't believe I kept it all together... let's see how I do now I don't have any distractions.

Take: 12

Blogger Murp! mused...

Puppets! Puppets! Puppets! Puppets!

Thu Dec 13, 02:13:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Sorry. Murp! got here first...
Congratulations on completing the film! (Both of them!)

Thu Dec 13, 02:15:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

I have to say Murp! that although the puppets fell well into the realms of ugly and disturbing they ended up suit the film brilliantly.

Thu Dec 13, 02:22:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Murp! is always welcome... kinda...

It was a haul indeed. Now I'm suffering from withdrawal, I've been working at such a frenetic pace for so long I don't know what to do with myself now. Oh, and completing the Stop Motion was Pia's doing... that girl rocks! I'm just glad my ugly little puppets worked for her.

Thu Dec 13, 02:26:00 pm

 
Blogger Shelley Noble mused...

A hardy congratulations, Rich! On all the achievements, the festival, the film, the puppets, operating under harsh physical demands and pulling through all of it so well. You need some serious laurel leafing right about now.

Thu Dec 13, 04:24:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Hey Shelley!

Yeah, a rest is definitely in order.

I can definitely say that I personally wish the puppets had been better, but in reality their 'unique' (hehehe, what a euphamism for ugly!) construction ended up being complimentary to the production.

As for the doco, well, it would have been nice for the festival committee to recognise is some small way how the film was put together but, as always, the audience has the last word.

Happily doco's are modernising though, and those people who are desperately trying to cling to the doco traditions by ignoring the fact are going to continue to be marginalised by lack of audience attendance.

Not that all traditions are bad. Look at Stop Mo. Now there's a tradition we should be preserving!

Rich.

Thu Dec 13, 04:47:00 pm

 
Blogger Ticharu mused...

Cool! Glad to have helped!!! :) Did ya get the CD yet BTW???

Fri Dec 14, 03:52:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Hey Man, your help at such a late stage in the project was really appreciated. Unfortunately it's always that way with music and film. You kinda need a final cut of the film to put the music on which means composers and musician are always doing the last minute rush, particularly on 'no budget' films like the ones I'm producing at the moment.

Yeah, I got the CD and so-forth yesterday afternoon. There's a looooot of music on there. Should be fun listening!

Fri Dec 14, 08:36:00 am

 
Blogger Is it sync'd yet? mused...

You deserve the pat on the back. Good luck on the Op I am sure it will go very well.

I expect a cartoon in the line of "Sleep" or "Where's my tumor".


gNat.

Fri Dec 14, 10:05:00 am

 
Blogger JLee mused...

congratulations, Rich!! Now go take a well deserved nap :)

Fri Dec 14, 10:50:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Fingers crossed Gnat!

Oh yeah, it's been so long since I've been here I'd forgotten about my Cartoons. Um... I may get around to that!

Fri Dec 14, 12:41:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Thanks JLee.

I'm definitely looking forward to unplugging. I haven't really managed to do that yet. Far too many nights with only four hours sleep and far too many things still running through my head.

Fri Dec 14, 12:44:00 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home