2/18/2009

Encapsulate - Air Fish Trial

Okay, after the last picture being universally welcomed (which I appreciate greatly BTW), Shel over at Halfland wanted me to animate it...



This is the best I can do in 24 hours (yeah, OK, it took maybe 4hrs). I also have a story now. I don't think it's too bad. I'm calling it Encapsulate as a working title. Oh, and that strange soundtrack is actually a beautiful Brass counter bell I bought from an artist in Melbourne overlapped with a couple of notes 'stolen' from Ticharu with atmosphere supplied by Possum (our Budgie) slowed down to 65% of his normal speed. Cool, huh!

PS. I started school again today. They've bought a 'pre-loved' 35mm film animation machine and are offering it as an elective. So good to be back.

Take: 32

Blogger Shelley Noble mused...

Super uber coolness! Fantastic! What's outrageous and something you'd appeciate.. while I clicked play and watched it your soundtrack overlapped with a live npr interview stream I had on that was muted. The result was a heavily accented man talking about French project funding along with the bell, etc. AND IT TOTALLY WORKED!!! HA!

I thought to myself, wow, Rich is a sophisticated genius! hee.

Great work, more!

Thu Feb 19, 07:16:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

That's very Dada of you Shel. Subverting my chosen soundtrack with... French project funding? ? ? I'm really glad it worked but... but... what were you doing listening to French project funding for? Hehehe

Yes, *french accent* I am a genius, but of course, I knew you'd be playing that track which is why I chose that particular tone of bell.

More? I have a story premise now, we'll see if a plot materialises.

Thu Feb 19, 09:20:00 am

 
Blogger T S Munty mused...

Ooh ooh I like. Your mind is like a biscuit barrel with a kite flying inside it carried by a meat pie that is walking in a dream the kite is having.

Thu Feb 19, 09:58:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Munty, no it's not!


...


...


...


Oh wait, maybe it is...

Thu Feb 19, 11:06:00 am

 
Blogger T S Munty mused...

... if it's got 65% budgie speed it might be. But not 64%.

Thu Feb 19, 02:26:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

I went back to the original sound files TS, and changed the speed to 64% Budgerigar speed. Surprisingly the biscuit-barrelly-kite-meatpie-dreaminess had a much more choc-chip bikky quality rather than its original high quality butter shortcut shortbread nature.

I'm not going to make judgments on which the kite would prefer but I can say that one day, far in the future, I may perform a test going as low as 61%.

Thu Feb 19, 07:24:00 pm

 
Blogger Rita mused...

I also enjoyed it. It was the first thing I watched when I woke up this morning....I felt I was back in dream land for a moment.

Fri Feb 20, 02:25:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

definite
'steamboat willie'
quality going on here :)

v.cool

/t.

Fri Feb 20, 03:04:00 am

 
Blogger Ruela mused...

v. cool
I like it!



Maybe one day we could do some
animation work together...something
with zombies and punks,
only with beautiful people ;)

Fri Feb 20, 06:15:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

That's excellent Rita. Thanks. I think dream land is a good jumping off point for a world like this.

Fri Feb 20, 09:35:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

'Steamboat willie' Ha! Oh lord... it's black and white with a figure moving organically? Yeah, OK, I'll take that as a compliment.

*musing* Now, if only I could be as evil as that Mouse...

Fri Feb 20, 09:38:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Glad you liked it Ruela. It's only a bit of play really.

Beautiful Punk Zombies. I think I see a Hollywood broiler in the make! :D We'll make millions and waste it all on Themed Parties and Hookers, yeehaa!

Seriously though, I can't quite see how our two different animation styles would merge. But your character designs in a live action like this would be kinda awesome.

Fri Feb 20, 09:46:00 am

 
Blogger Ruela mused...

HAHAHA

LOL to Hollywood ;)

Your comment echoes my thoughts exactly about the animation,
go work on that one, it's very cool.

P.s. It's the book cover of Luciano’s Fraga poetry release at Brazil.
Illustrations & covers for myself.

Fri Feb 20, 10:06:00 am

 
Blogger Ruela mused...

* by myself ;)

Fri Feb 20, 10:13:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Oh, OK. Good cover! If I could only read the language I'd probably hunt down a copy.

I've got a few other things I need to finish before doing this animation. But I might be able to play with it a bit more if I do the animation elective at the film school.

Fri Feb 20, 10:28:00 am

 
Blogger Ruela mused...

yes
it's portugese...



Ok, good work!

Fri Feb 20, 10:44:00 am

 
Blogger Ces Adorio mused...

Aw! This is a brilliant little teaser! I love the counter bell. I want more.

Fri Feb 20, 11:25:00 am

 
Blogger T S Munty mused...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Fri Feb 20, 02:26:00 pm

 
Blogger T S Munty mused...

61% would be an exciting departure from 64% and interesting too. My controls only have 'faster' and 'slower' but they don't control biscuits, not any kind.

Fri Feb 20, 02:27:00 pm

 
Blogger Bimbimbie mused...

Ohh Very cool ... I like the bell counter and possum tweet too*!* reminds me of the old whalers and ships that would strike notes in heavy fog. Now I'm wondering who is being trawled here.

No stopping that brain of yours now you are back at school ... yipee for you and us ;)

Fri Feb 20, 04:49:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

You're the second Portuguese Artist I've met online Ruela. There are few languages that retain in their sound a natural poetry. Portuguese is certainly one. You're lucky to play in a language whose words and meaning are so easily twined together to create a poetic sound.

Sat Feb 21, 12:51:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Awww, shucks, thanks Ces. That means a lot.

The counter bell is a recreation of one that sat in a very posh historic hotel in Melbourne. It's sound, which is to be used in another production, is something that is a true reflection of the effort and craft of the artist who created it.

Sat Feb 21, 12:54:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Munty, aaaaah, I like that. But I'd still like to control the biscuits as best my rudimentary skill will allow.

Sat Feb 21, 12:55:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Bimbimie! Well! Remarkable insight!

Indeed the Airfish are trawled. They're, once tamed by the people manning the balloon rig in the middle of the picture below, become the main mode of transport between the different worlds. They're also, by accident, the catalyst of the main story premise for the entire film. Well spotted!

PS. Yeah, the institution of school will make me complete projects I've happily let simmer. It's a great thing to have a deadline.

Sat Feb 21, 01:00:00 am

 
Blogger laughingwolf mused...

animation's pretty neat, but i really LOVE that soundtrack :)

Sat Feb 21, 08:42:00 am

 
Blogger Ruela mused...

Thanks ;)



Job donne ;)

Sun Feb 22, 12:48:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

It is again dreamland that I woke up from this morning. The undulating image was once again trapped in my head (could it be the bells) & I just figured something out while reading the latest posts on this site & this site. I pondered what is the appeal of a headless fish body slowing making it's way through the fog of my mind? How does it relate to sharks in dangerous waters & folks resigned to death in marriage?

It is the balm, the salve, the decapitated shark, the benign death.

Sun Feb 22, 04:52:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Hey Chuckl'nPup. Thanks.

The spareness of the soundtrack works well within a foggy void.

Sun Feb 22, 11:41:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Donne! :D

Sun Feb 22, 11:42:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Well, Rita. Aren't we poetical this morning :)

What you're saying sounds truly intriguing. Hopefully I'll get a chance to read those sites shortly.

Sun Feb 22, 11:44:00 am

 
Blogger laughingwolf mused...

really wanna see the completed work, please?

Mon Feb 23, 06:47:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Me too! Now, if only I had a spare year or two.

Mon Feb 23, 09:12:00 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home