12/29/2008

Secret squirrel business

Mooncar (the Monster) and I wrotes a book for my young Niece as a Xmas present... Okay, it's only seven pages long but Iz drews the piktures too. See!





It's a story about the friends a young girl meets on the way to show her mate Pete a frog she befriends.





The book is made with different textured papers; smooth Japanese printed paper cover with a silk with metal inclusions title label; inside cover is embossed pink; illustrations are done on cartridge that were individually glued back to back with the story pages which are made of a delicate soft paper impregnated with silk fibres. The silk pages are hand torn to size to give the pages a fluffy silk edge. Basically, the point being, if I was kid (not just mentally I mean) and came across a book made that way I wouldn't be able to help myself but to pick it up.





The illustrations are pencil drawings scanned and coloured digitally in my 'secret squirrel' 'had an fine arts major complimenting my abilities with water colours' style. The silk page illustrations are done using a similar technique and are colour meditations on the people involved in the story. They where my Niece, my Sister in-law, Myself, Mooncar, my Bro and the Frog of course... the last one being purely imagination. I don't really know any frogs that well.





The font has been done in colours which help elicit particular emotional responses at various parts of the story. The fonts are formatted on the page in a very particular 'secret squirrel' style which I hope to use in the future as a way of helping adults learn to read to their children with the intended intonations meant within the sentence. I don't think everyone needs that help but it's nice for children of those who do... and it's a great marketing idea... um... I think I could work on these ideas a little more. They do work really well within this book though.





And the whole package is beautifully bound in an ornamental Japanese style by a guy who is well known for his leather hand bound volumes and work with large American film productions such as the Matrix and Mission Impossible part deuce. This binding style was admittedly a little bit of research and development for his company... of course meaning that at one stage it didn't go exactly to plan. The covers warped due to the multiple paper layers absorbing glue at different rates. That made me *sigh* *kick* *grumble* *a lot* but as you can see everything turned out great in the end. *smile*



Anyway, that's the end of my tale of what's been keeping me so busy. I hope you all had a Merry Xmas and you're planning a blinding... um, safe and happy New year.

THE END

Take: 35

Blogger T S Munty mused...

What a marvellous munty thing indeed. Happy New Year to everything.

Tue Dec 30, 09:52:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

And a gooseberry new year to you too Munty Mogg.

Tue Dec 30, 10:26:00 pm

 
Blogger Ruela mused...

Fine work of art.




Happy 2009 R!



Best wishes from Prince of Portugal

;)

Wed Dec 31, 12:31:00 pm

 
Blogger Shelley Noble mused...

What could be better than a hand-painted original story book made for you!? Crazy amazing, Rich and Mooncar.

Wed Dec 31, 01:54:00 pm

 
Blogger Scarlet Hip mused...

I'll take 25 copies please. By Friday.

Thank you and happy new year!

Wed Dec 31, 02:44:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Thanks Ruela, definitely one I enjoyed making.

Happy 2009 and best wishes to you too from the Ass of Australia.

Wed Dec 31, 03:00:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

That was our thinking too Shel, well, that and an episode of an British comedy called Black Books in which they write a childrens story in a single night and then burn it in a drunk haze so as to avoid the inevitable fame. Unfortunately we didn't get drunk enough to burn it.

If you can't tell from the final product it really was a lot of fun to make.

Wed Dec 31, 03:04:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Sure Scarlet... waaaaait, we managed to write, illustrate, colour, print, hand glue the pages, press the pages, tear each page for the fluffy edges, and have them professionally bound in nine days. So you should be able to get 25 of them in, um, 56 and a quarter days - plus shipping. And to think, it'll only cost you... well, you don't want to know.

But I'd love to see it distributed more widely. We'll have to see :)

You have a great new year too.

Wed Dec 31, 03:11:00 pm

 
Blogger Ruela mused...

"the Ass of Australia."



HAHAHAHAHAHA

Thu Jan 01, 01:57:00 am

 
Blogger Gyrobo mused...

Now is the time for auld lang syne!

Fri Jan 02, 11:53:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

What a beautiful book. The words & illustrations seem to float from the soft pages.

Very nice!

Fri Jan 02, 01:36:00 pm

 
Blogger The Phosgene Kid mused...

What an incredible gift to give. That is a beautiful book. Beyond some of the frustration with the glue it must have been fun to put together, the hand made paper is so cool!! I've always wanted to try my hand at making paper, but Mrs. Phos took my electric blender away after the shrimp paste incident, and I was going to use it for separating the fibers in old paper.

Sun Jan 04, 06:22:00 am

 
Blogger Ticharu mused...

Write the theme tune, sing the theme tune :)

Mon Jan 05, 03:06:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Well Ruela, I was going to say Adjunct of Australia but really, Ass had a better ring to it.

Mon Jan 05, 03:12:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Gyrobo, I never quite understood how we're supposed to remember an auld acquaintance if they're never brought to mind.

Mon Jan 05, 03:17:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Thankfully that seems to be the general consensus Rita. Could you imagine if I'd gone to all that trouble and everyone had said, 'WHAT RUBBISH!' :D

Mon Jan 05, 03:19:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Yeah, it was a lot of fun to put together Phos. I'm sure she'll appreciate it more the older she gets.

I dread to think what the shrimp paste incident was... I once did a 3D poster for a bar using hot beer bottles to impress the pattern on the bottom into perspex. I rested a hot bottle on our rug and to this day we have a bottle imprint melted into it. Mooncar wasn't that happy... when she discovered it... 4 months later. Anyway, no more sculpture in the loungeroom.

Mon Jan 05, 03:26:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

I tried Tich, people bled from the ears.

Happy New Year!

Mon Jan 05, 03:29:00 pm

 
Blogger Ticharu mused...

I remember...

Mon Jan 05, 08:17:00 pm

 
Blogger T S Munty mused...

What is the secret squirrel?

Wed Jan 07, 12:04:00 pm

 
Blogger The Phosgene Kid mused...

Wives can be no fun. How was I supposed to know making tupperwear sculptures in the microwave would burn it out???

Sun Jan 11, 11:09:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

I refuse to remember.

Mon Jan 12, 01:22:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Secret Squirrel is a squirrel. But that is a secret.

Mon Jan 12, 01:22:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Phos... Tupperware sculptures... coool! I think you should post some photos (if they exist) with a how-to explanation. That would be cool

Mon Jan 12, 03:00:00 pm

 
Blogger Ces Adorio mused...

Oh my gosh! That is the best present! I want a signed copy please!

Tue Jan 13, 11:37:00 pm

 
Blogger Ces Adorio mused...

And you are a great illustrator!!!!

Tue Jan 13, 11:38:00 pm

 
Blogger T S Munty mused...

The Secret Squirrel is a secret, I should have seen the clue.

Wed Jan 14, 08:28:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Hey Ces, Thanks so very, very much.

Unfortunately there are only four copies in existence. The cost of producing them were, let's say, prohibitive. I may do another run in the future. We I do, I'll let you know.

Wed Jan 14, 11:19:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Ah... but TS, the clue was cleverly disguised by that bacon rasher and vase of flowers.

Wed Jan 14, 11:20:00 am

 
Blogger Southernspeak4 mused...

Warning: To you and/or your friends… “ online fight club” of internet assholes whose hobby is bullying people off Blogger?


1. I will be blogging again in about two months.

2.The blog will be monitored by the IT administrator at my work, who is also a former police officer…and his current police officer friends will be about as well.

3.You fuck with me, it’s the same as fucking with them and the company I work for.


So upon my return, should you choose to continue with the hysterical witch hunt/smear campaign, realize you are dealing with people that know how to pull the same stunts you did.

If you choose to contact my commenters again, etc., to validate yourselves, that’s fine; but good luck convincing anyone in my real life they know better.

Last time, you took advantage of the fact that I wouldn’t stoop to the same level and pull the same IT tricks/virus-hack jobs and bully you off Blogger the same way, just defend myself and consult an attorney.

This time, I can’t be responsible for what those who will be monitoring my blog will do…but they know how to do it.

I tried very hard to give you all chances and understand why you were doing this...what I’d done to you that was so horrible that I deserved that nonstop bullshit...

...and despite your bogus claims that I wouldn’t even listen to your sides, the truth is, if I even showed up once to ask who was attacking me/hacking my shit and why, someone started screaming “stalker” and threatening to shut their blogs down.

The only semi-successful time was my last day blogging in March, and the one who lied the most managed to actually answer questions without screaming stalker/threatening to shut down her blogs....but was still lying her ass off and still refusing to take responsibility for her own choices, blaming it on being influenced by others.

There’s a reason she and others started this…because there’s a few of you that I was a confidenate for that have a lot to hide and you were afraid I’d tell …and I never would have, had you not attacked me and continued to attack/bully/harass/cyberstalk/hack me, my friends and my accounts.

I have a right to blog like everyone else, so how about this?

I won’t say a word about you, if you leave me and my commenters the fuck alone. Deal?

I won’t be back for the answer.

You’ve been warned.

Chrystal/Southernspeak4

Fri Jan 16, 11:49:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Who the hell do you think you're talking too? I have no idea what you're rambling about.

Get over yourself. I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in what you do.

"I have been warned" Pffffft! Sheeeeet, now I really fucking scared. I really do hope you wont be back.

Fri Jan 16, 02:05:00 pm

 
Blogger Bimbimbie mused...

Every niece needs an uncle like you Rich, what a gorgeously enchanting little rainbow of a book, sure to get her imagination and artistic path up and running after her talented uncs*!*

Mon Jan 19, 02:23:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Thanks Bimbimbie! Even if you did just call me an Unc ;)

If in the least it inspires a love of frogs then it will be all cool. I've had feedback from one of the parents in that the little guy who I gave one of these books too, although not his favourite book, regularly picks it up off the shelf and ask for it to be read.

I never even considered that the kids might pick it for themselves, it's very humbling.

Mon Jan 19, 04:52:00 pm

 
Blogger Bimbimbie mused...

That's probably a rave review you then from the little guy*!* They don't hold back if something is not to their liking, books get dumped pretty quickly out of little chubby hands ... perhaps a Dragon book next?

I thought a little frivolity was needed Unc coming in as I did after the previous lengthy comment ;)

Mon Jan 19, 07:16:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Hmmmm, dragons could be cool, Bimbimbie. Maybe Dragon flies? Oh wait, Philip Pullman uses dragon flies in one of his books.

As for that previous commenter. *shrugs* I don't take it too seriously. Normally I just delete them but I couldn't be bothered this time as it's years since she started leaving strange comments. It's old news. I really don't know what she's talking about. She appears to have her own reality. Luckily she's not in this country.

Mon Jan 19, 11:32:00 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home