2/25/2009

Encapsulate: Through the void

So, here is an updated, coloured, version of one of the cities, the Pollen Factory (apparently it makes good food), that our young hero passes on his way through the void. I'm not particularly keen on this colour-job but that can be changed and it certainly gives people a better idea what it would be like to live and work within a haven of the void; an industrialised haven at that. I certainly like the more organic versions of the AirFish (maybe not pink) shown here with one wild and one captured. Although the one that's captured isn't wearing its riding harness.



And of course, what would be a journey through the void without our young hero. Shown here with his god given 'barrier' still in place, like everyone else who lives within the void.



How long will he keep it? Well, wouldn't be much of a story if he didn't have some sort calamity beset him.

Take: 28

Blogger Shelley Noble mused...

Love the sketch. So detailed and fantasy yet logical.

Thu Feb 26, 05:53:00 am

 
Blogger Ruela mused...

Lovely, that reminds me Antoni Gaudí.

Thu Feb 26, 06:04:00 am

 
Blogger laughingwolf mused...

gooders, now what about a soundtrack? ;)

Thu Feb 26, 06:22:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

you have
an awesome
imagination, man

/t.

Thu Feb 26, 09:51:00 am

 
Blogger Ces Adorio mused...

I like this very much. The illustrations are so gentle. I don't know if that makes sense but it has a retrospective look to it, sort of nostalgic, it reminds me of something that I can't specify but it's a good feeling.

Thu Feb 26, 03:26:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Hey Shel, I think that's the fun of doing a story in a world completely of ones own creation, however fantastical you make something the people whose story you're telling live and work there and impose their own sense of logic upon the landscape. If it was a world inhabited by spiders they wouldn't need the staircases because they could run up the wall... if you know what I mean?!

Fri Feb 27, 10:24:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Ruela, Antoni Gaudí lived in a bubble?

Fri Feb 27, 10:24:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Chuckl'n Pup... the soundtrack, already? Sheesh!

There's several stages to production and yes, with animation one of the first stages after development, scripting, pre-preproduction, and pre-production is to record all the voices and break it down on a timing sheet for the animators to work with. Then there's the hard yards of animating. And after that there's sound post-production where they add foley (sound effects, etc) and then finally, after the final cut of the movie has been locked, you add music.

Having said all that... I'm thinking something orchestral. Anyone have a spare Orchestra out there?

Fri Feb 27, 10:29:00 am

 
Blogger Ruela mused...

haha

no!
is houses ;)

Fri Feb 27, 10:30:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Looking at your drawing I immediately thought of this.

I think the similarity is rather interesting, seeing that the images are worlds apart.

Hmmm...life (courtesy of trapped hornets) encapsulated in 2 liter plastic disposable bottles bobbing under the surface of a vast oceanic expanse,. Navigation of the murky deep by headless air fish equipped with tinny second hand bells.

What is not to love?

Give us more!

Fri Feb 27, 10:30:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

you have
a broken
return key, man

Just jokes. I appreciate the comment. An awesome imagination is one thing, getting a story made with all the correct emotional nuances you want is a completely different matter. We can't live in our imaginations.

Fri Feb 27, 10:31:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

gentle. retrospective. nostalgic.

Ah Ces, that's very kind. It's certainly what I am hoping to imbue through the project. I mean, really it's a story about how people can only live there lives within the context of their own understanding; about the barriers people put up around them, both beneficial and detrimental, and whether they're aware of them or not.

But I think it needs to defy allegory to a certain extent by being in it's own self contained world that is gentle, and retrospective, and nostalgic (as far as people barriers will allow).

Fri Feb 27, 10:37:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Haha Ruela, I knew what you meant. His houses are beautiful. Mine are a little less organic... at least at this stage of development.

Fri Feb 27, 10:40:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

That's a fantastic reference Rita. Maybe we need an 'inlet' for the wasp at the top, so that it's been trapped out of the void but then nurtured and allowed to thrive so these people can make a living.

Nah, for such a small part that this city plays in the final short film I don't think I need to adapt this model further. But I still really love the notion... something for the production notes.

Fri Feb 27, 10:45:00 am

 
Blogger The Phosgene Kid mused...

Great drawings, but you may want to check the dosage on the meds you're taking... Too much of a good thing, don't you know.

Fri Feb 27, 10:52:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Now, now, Phos, the dosage is juuuust fine. It's the fact I was them down with a mixture of bleach and scotch that's the problem.

I guess it's a compliment. If you think it's looking medication inspired then maybe I'm on the right track.

Fri Feb 27, 11:26:00 am

 
Blogger T S Munty mused...

I love a good void, especially one with ladders in it. I hope you're wearing your harness today and feeling wild. I know I am.

Fri Feb 27, 01:47:00 pm

 
Blogger Bimbimbie mused...

I like worlds within worlds where any thing can, is, possible*!* The sound that came to my mind was something similar to the distorted noise you get at an indoor swimming pool.

Funny you mention spiders - they are visiting me at the moment*!*

Fri Feb 27, 01:58:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

what i have
is a funky bouncy
button on my mouse -- sorry

you're right, of course, that it takes more than imagination, but don't discount it because any idiot can learn technicalities and without imagination is just another mechanic -- i like your stuff

/t.

Sat Feb 28, 04:24:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

I try not to a void walking under ladders TS. Paint spills are what gave me this delightful hair do.

Unfortunately I have no harness, but I do have an adult diaper. To the wilds of void, and away!

Sat Feb 28, 10:58:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Me too Bimbimbie, I think one of the hardest things with these types of fantasy-style worlds is that they're so broad people and their ideas get lost within them. I guess if one uses logic and drives all the encountered parts of the worlds from the story then it will make much more sense.

I'm not sure what that sound is attached too? The sound of working within the Pollen Factory? I guess it kind of would be. Maybe that's why the factory is so far outside of the dome itself. To alleviate noise and direct it into the void. Cool, I like that!

What are the Spiders names?

Sat Feb 28, 11:07:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

I wouldn't
apologise for using
my own style... Ever!

Oh, I don't discount it. Everything man made around of was once only a dream born in the imagination. Everything!

But I must also employ that imagination to create decent writing, better direction, and as (I'm going to be traditionally animating this piece) vast amounts of concentration and technical skill. It's going to be fun!

Sat Feb 28, 11:12:00 am

 
Blogger Ces Adorio mused...

I want to live in my own capsule then where I don't have to put up with retards, idiots and rude people who walk in the middle of the street! Also in my world I don't want any stupid person walking around like a stupid moron with his pants barely covering his foul ass and then holding his pants because it's about to fall. Stupid monkeys pretending to be humans. Actually, it's an insult to the monkeys that I call thse humans monkeys. Can you sense that I am pissed off today?

Sat Feb 28, 11:44:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Ces, Fine! You do that. Off to the pod with you and damn those moronic-sub-human not-worthy-to-be-called-monkey probably-reality-tv-watching losers!

Well, you're always welcome to blow off steam here. Just don't run them down. No-one needs that hassle.

Sat Feb 28, 03:26:00 pm

 
Blogger Bimbimbie mused...

Aww poor Ces ... just read her comment, I think she sounds like an angry wasp, pity she wasn't one she could have stung the ass who's been messing up her day. Nicely saved about the insult to monkeys Ces lol

Questions and wonderings pop into my head each time I take another look at your pollen factory world Rich ... all good*!*

... the spiders are called Teardrops

Sun Mar 01, 08:59:00 am

 
Blogger Ticharu mused...

I like the airfish trial and it's good that you took my advice and started working on this :)

I've been busy too, just nothing to show for it at the the minute, soon though, a cheese and onion pie of multi-dimentional exquisite design and complexity!

Mon Mar 02, 12:05:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Bimbimbie, Teardrop Spiders sounds very poetic... maybe that's what was setting Ces off, she was crying spiders. I know I'd be crabby if that were the case.

Good wonderings are the best type of pops... beside lollipops that is!

Mon Mar 02, 03:33:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

I'm not sure that's true Tich. Taking your advice can be detrimental ;)

Busy is good, usually. I hope your business is of the good variety and your cheese and onion pie doesn't cool to long on the windowsill.

Mon Mar 02, 03:35:00 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home