9/04/2006

Bugger

The Crocodile Hunter
Steve Irwin


22 Feb 1962 - 4 Sept 2006

Before 2002 I always thought Steve Irwin was a bit of a drop-kick. Then, while working at Fox Studios, I briefly met him and realised that he wasn't putting on an act. What you saw on the Crocodile Hunter was actually him. It was really quite endearing that he was just a simple bloke that was incredibly passionate. Passionate about Australian wildlife to the point that every cent he ever earnt was spent on nature conservation, leaving only enough to get his next film/TV show off the ground and live an unassuming life.

What a damn shame! He's going to be missed.

Take: 24

Blogger concerned citizen mused...

huh? what happened to him?

Mon Sept 04, 04:35:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

He was filming part of his daughters new TV show at Batt Reef off the Low Isles in far North Qeensland when a stingray he was shooting barbed him. Stingray venom is apparently very painful but not usually fatal. Unfortunately it punctured his chest and injected the venom into his heart. He died of a heart attack shortly after.

Tue Sept 05, 10:38:00 am

 
Blogger Ticharu mused...

Yeah, what a drag, it was the first thing I read this morning. Next my daughter gets up and I had to tell her. She watched Animal Planet a LOT. She was kinda shocked as were we all. He was great guy.

Tue Sept 05, 11:41:00 am

 
Blogger Bathroom Hippo mused...


Amen to that.

I was a huge fan of his. No one can take his place.

Tue Sept 05, 11:48:00 am

 
Blogger concerned citizen mused...

Ah crikey! Life is so unfair.

Tue Sept 05, 11:54:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Hey Peoples,

I don't think anyone down here was really shocked. When you wrestle Crocs for a living somethings going to get you in the end.

We're a bit surprised that it was a stingray though, those things are usually pretty docile and harmless. I've accidently stood on one before and the thing just swam away. No sting, nuth'n.

He did make his money from invading the personal space of some of the worlds deadliest creatures. Maybe it was a Ninja Stingray that had been hired by a secret elite dangerous animal consortium to stop him from ruining their 'tough and scary' reputation.

The day before he died he was swimming with and handling sea-snakes for Animal Planet. Some of the worlds most posioness snakes, no probs, a crappy little stingray, dead... yeah, what a drag!

He WAS definitely one of a kind, well, don't tell anyone, but half the Queenslanders are that nuts... it's just that Steve outlasted most of the others.

Tue Sept 05, 01:40:00 pm

 
Blogger SafeTinspector mused...

Like the man says,

Live by the angry, dangerous animal, die by the angry, dangerous animal.

Tue Sept 05, 02:03:00 pm

 
Blogger SafeTinspector mused...

Oh, and I told you you'd be back, bitch.

Tue Sept 05, 02:07:00 pm

 
Blogger concerned citizen mused...

I remember when he first came on T.V. my husband & I thought he was so funny. We used to mock his accent all the time.

Well, the media will revive him periodically.

Tue Sept 05, 10:44:00 pm

 
Blogger JLee mused...

I was so bummed about this yesterday...my daughter had never seen Croc Hunter, and started watching a special episode yesterday(we didn't realize why it was on at the time) right after, we found out he died :( We both were so sad!! But I explained to her how dangerous his job was, and that he did what he loved despite the risk. Rest in Peace, Steve...

Wed Sept 06, 12:50:00 am

 
Blogger Wendy mused...

I didn't used to like him because of the dumb way he handles snakes by the tail. I have handled many a snake and it does them no harm to hold them by the business end where they can't bite you. I always thought he would go by a snake bite to the leg.

I was shocked to know he was killed by a stingray because they are so docile and non predatory. It was a fluke an accident ans it is a damn shame. I grew to really enjoy him and he did do so much for Australia.

I hope his wife takes your govts offer of a state funeral. I think that would be nice.

Wed Sept 06, 07:45:00 am

 
Blogger Gyrobo mused...

I'd say "crickey!" but that's been overdone.

Thu Sept 07, 03:48:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

I've had one of those round robin e-mails this morning suggesting everyone in Australia leaves their porch lights on on 8th. which is a nice idea.

lets all turn our front porch light or a light that can be seen, on friday night the 8th of September to show his loving wife Terry and his beautiful kids Bindi and Bob that we are all thinking of them.

Thu Sept 07, 05:28:00 pm

 
Blogger Lil Mizfit mused...

i am still stunned by the news. when i saw it on TV, i thought i mis-read. he will b missed world-over.

Thu Sept 07, 08:44:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

SafeT; Yes, yes, you're very smart. But I prefer, Live by the orgy, die by the orgy. It just seems, well, a lot nicer way to go.

l>t; It was a national past-time to mock Steve down this part of the world. He really was a muppet! I never liked his show much. But meeting him did make me appreciate his ethics.

JLee; It is pretty sad. There's a lot of Aussie kids who can't quite understand that the invincible Croc Hunter could get hurt. Hopefully it'll highlight their appreciation for the environment.

Hey Wendy; I've been around my fair share of snakes as well, I'm not sure I'd handle snakes the way he did either. He spoke on a Aussie show called Denton about why he does it that way. He was never bitten by a poisonous snake, I guess he knew what he was doing. Apparently they've turned down the state funeral stating that he was simple bloke who wouldn't go in for that type of thing. They might be naming a national park after him instead... Crikey National Park has a nice ring to it.

Squid; dude, I think those guys are dead! Steve feed them to the Crocs.

Gyrobo; yeah, well, not as overdone as the media coverage down here. Crikey!

Hey Pal; I don't think Terri and the kids can see my porch from QLD... It's a nice idea, achieves nothing but it's nice.

Hey Mizfit; I don't think he'll be missed as long as his conservation organisations keep on flourishing. They are his real legacy, the TV and film stuff were just a way for him to pay for it.

Fri Sept 08, 11:53:00 am

 
Blogger concerned citizen mused...

I didn't have any problem with the guy. I thought he was cute.
I mean it's just Television after all, I don't give a fuck what nationality you are.

Fri Sept 08, 12:17:00 pm

 
Blogger SafeTinspector mused...

I'm all for the orgy, too!
Shit, I hadn't even realized that was an option!

Fri Sept 08, 01:55:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

So basically l>t it's all about bonk-ability with you!

Fri Sept 08, 02:13:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Sorry SafeT,

There's a limit, you've missed out. You should have put your hand up earlier.

I still have room in 'death from above' and 'death in embarrassing positions' if you're interested.

Fri Sept 08, 02:15:00 pm

 
Blogger SafeTinspector mused...

I'm already pretty sure I'll die of an annuerism on the toilette considering the viciousness of my usual constipation.

Fri Sept 08, 08:03:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

HA! Yes, but it could always occur in a porta-potty at a major international event.

Sat Sept 09, 12:32:00 pm

 
Blogger concerned citizen mused...

bonk-ability??? Are you saying I'm shallow?

Sat Sept 09, 01:13:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Not at All l>t, I've read your blog.

I'm just saying it's a leading factor in your decision making ;)

Mon Sept 11, 11:57:00 am

 
Blogger Diana Crabtree mused...

I had a dream with Steve Irwin last night...

He was doing some sort of demonstration (totally non-crocodile related) and each of us got our turn to see/participate in the demonstration. He gave us some stupid parting gifts.

At the end of the demonstration he said "I bet I'm too fast for you" and held a ball he was going to throw at a person 3 feet away from him. I was like "oh yeah?" and started putting my bag down, but he had thrown the ball already.

I flew off the handle, and said "if your not even going to give me a chance then whats the point"

Good story, huh?

Sat Sept 16, 03:34:00 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home