8/09/2006

The Sprites

There's probably a bajillion things I could say about this little foray into childrens programming but I've been a little pre-occupied with real life stuff over the last few days so I've forgotten half of what I was going to talk about. I did get a little nostalgic when preparing this one for the web though, these critters are so cute (not that I'm biased). I still hold out hope that I'll get to produce this one as five minute TV fillers for kids under the age of three. Maybe I should just produce six 'episodes' at this production quality and sell direct to the public. Any producers out there can stop laughing now, ever heard of Baby Einstein? Yeah, knew that would quiet you down!

Um, what else, this type of video is a good example of the type of thing I would take along to a funding meeting when looking to produce a pilot. It's not as important as the script or the budget but it certainly improves your chances of inspiring the sometimes surprising lack luster imagination of a funding committee. Seriously, it's not a criticism, they're not paid to be overly imaginative, they're paid to skim the script for anything undesirable, scour the budget mercilessly and smack the pinata of expected revenue until they're sure there's candy inside. The sooner a person understands that the easier it will be to produce the type of documentation which inspires those types of committees to part with their highly under-resourced budgets. What else, oh, if you're interested in producing early childhood material always attach an early childhood professional as a consultant (I'm sure everyone has at least one friend who is a teacher or something) to review your scripts and so forth, it goes down really well. All that is good stuff to know but it's not as much fun as actually making a show like this. The payoff is seeing kids enjoy themselves while they're developing their amazing little brains.

Hmmmm, I got nothing, watch the Vid!

free video hosting
Free Video Hosting

Take: 46

Blogger concerned citizen mused...

well they are cute. I like the way they pop into sprites.
Did you write the music, too? (I didn't stick around for the credits, sorry)

BTW, Where's the purple one with the purse?

Wed Aug 09, 11:37:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Actually there are no credits on this piece l>t so you haven't missed anything. And yeah, I wrote the music. If the programme had gone any further I was lucky enough to have a a couple of Muso's contacts who would have helped me produce it properly.

BTW, he's on another show. I can fully understand how you got confused between cute little sprites flying around and big fat colourful retards with TV's instead of bowels. Common mistake.

Wed Aug 09, 11:57:00 am

 
Blogger SafeTinspector mused...

They're very cute, if a bit wooden. And the music was fun--a good match!
What sort of adventures would they have?

Wed Aug 09, 12:13:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Hey SafeT,

I totally agree, the animation is pretty piss poor. It may sound a little mercenary, which is definitely not my nature, but there's not much point in putting huge amounts of work into a commercial project until you get paid for it. A wonderful friend of mine did a little 3-D modelling of these critters (his term) which would have really brought them to life.

As to their adventures... ohhh, that would be telling. It had a very set format that I'm quite proud of in it's ability to teach and entertain. Hopefully I can send you a DVD one day :)

Wed Aug 09, 12:28:00 pm

 
Blogger Ticharu mused...

You weren't going for twisted, deranged and frightening then? My inner child is still crying, hiding behind my spleen, but I enjoyed it!

Wed Aug 09, 12:34:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

What... I... well... errr...

*climbs behind Ticheru's spleen and cries silently with his inner child*

thanks!

Wed Aug 09, 12:37:00 pm

 
Blogger concerned citizen mused...

"big fat colourful retards with TV's instead of bowels."<----ha ha ha!

Wed Aug 09, 01:10:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

*blush* yeah, OK, I actually like the teletubbies. Particuarly the gay purple one :)

Wed Aug 09, 02:09:00 pm

 
Blogger concerned citizen mused...

I just love the way they prance around going La La La! & Yell, "DO IT AGAIN!"

Wed Aug 09, 02:20:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

I believe they say "play it again". "DO it again" sounds plain rude.

Wed Aug 09, 02:27:00 pm

 
Blogger concerned citizen mused...

What?! No, I swear that's what's they say, "DO IT AGAIN!!" & they flap their arms & run around.

Wed Aug 09, 03:01:00 pm

 
Blogger concerned citizen mused...

Maybe the Australian version is censored?

Wed Aug 09, 03:04:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

That's just plain wrong... we still have all the 'group' activities.

Wed Aug 09, 03:18:00 pm

 
Blogger concerned citizen mused...

"group activities?" what does that mean?

does group activities involve the guy with the big hose?

Wed Aug 09, 03:21:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

You know, all that group hugging while the poor innocent sun looks down on them from above and laughs nervously.

What guy with a big hose? I don't think that thing on his head is a hose

Wed Aug 09, 03:28:00 pm

 
Blogger concerned citizen mused...

oh yeah, the hugging thing.

I mean the vacum(?whatever) cleaner guy that runs around & sucks up things with his hose & makes them all giggle. Is that a little weird or what? is the idea that toddlers can relate to vacum cleaners?

Wed Aug 09, 03:36:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Yeah, I knew you meant the vacuum. I never really thought about what that means... I guess they can relate to something that runs around after them cleaning and tries to make them laugh (as opposed to crying all the time). Yes, that's it, the vacuum is some type of giant sucky mother figure!

Wed Aug 09, 03:40:00 pm

 
Blogger concerned citizen mused...

vacuum(?)cleaners are entertaining, for sure, if you are 1 to 3 years old or a dog. Giant sucky mother figures? that makes sense.
are you a parent?

Wed Aug 09, 03:54:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

I know the doulble U is irksome.

My dog was not entertained by vacuums he was thoroughly convinced it was possessed and only existed to taunt him.

Nooooooooo, not a parent, I've spent far too much of my life perfecting the art of thinking like a child to be responsible enough to raise children. I'm uncle though, those kids are the coolest. But I can hand them back. Sigh of relief!

Wed Aug 09, 04:03:00 pm

 
Blogger concerned citizen mused...

sorry I abruptly left last night, just laid down to close my eyes for a sec...

The first time I watched teletubbies with my grandson I was impressed with the simple concept of it.

Your sprites are also nice & simple, what kind of shenanigans would you have them do?

Thu Aug 10, 12:14:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

I also think it's a really good idea. I can understand why the characters annoy so many people. They dont exactly display the highest of intellects.

The Sprites are very active little scamps. That's probably as clear as I want to be.

Thu Aug 10, 09:59:00 am

 
Blogger Ticharu mused...

Hey, my inner child was just kidding after all, insisted we come back and play it again, maybe sing along this time!

Thu Aug 10, 12:07:00 pm

 
Blogger concerned citizen mused...

how about some toddler slap stick? Just running into trees & crying alot. Or poking themselves in their own eye.

Thu Aug 10, 12:16:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Oh NO! I wish you'd told me that earlier, I fed your inner child a poison cookie. If you feel a certain deadness inside when you're singing alone, um, sorry, would you like a cookie as a way of making amends?

Thu Aug 10, 12:59:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

L>t, Who told you my plot!

It's very educational don't you agree? Impaling on tree, bad! Impaling friend on tree, good!

Thu Aug 10, 01:01:00 pm

 
Blogger Ticharu mused...

No thanks Rich, I'm not feeling so well...

Thu Aug 10, 09:56:00 pm

 
Blogger concerned citizen mused...

Well, if you wanted to really make a difference... how about a show about what happens when you get to close to fire, or run out into traffic or pet strange dogs?
I can just imagine a cute little sprite landing on a hot burner or flying into the windshield of a car or being gobbled up by a German Shepard.
What an impression that would make on a toddler!

Fri Aug 11, 12:21:00 am

 
Blogger Gyrobo mused...

And when they get mad, they can grow fangs and spray poisonous vitriol from their gaping demonic maws!

Now that would be a good children's show.

Fri Aug 11, 08:33:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Well Tich, at times like that I tend to turn household items into friends and using them as puppets carry on conversations with my partner. 15 minutes later my inner child is jumping around like a 2 year old on a sugar high. Try it, you'll feel much better.

Fri Aug 11, 08:53:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Hey Squid,

Excellent point! I think I'd live in a tree.

Fri Aug 11, 08:55:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

l>t, this is sounding more and more like Happy Tree Friends. I love that show. But I'd prefer mine to be something sweet and happy.

Fri Aug 11, 08:56:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Gyrobo!

Sprites don't get mad. Oh, sometimes they bluster and carry on but usually it's just for jokes. Never to be taken seriously. It's when they go quiet or start studying the workings of chainsaws that you should be concerned.

What's the deal with your comments section? Hope everything's cool!

Fri Aug 11, 10:41:00 am

 
Blogger concerned citizen mused...

Happy Tree Friends? I'll have to check that out.
I swear aliens are stealing my original ideas.

Fri Aug 11, 11:01:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

No we're not... um... ignore that!

Fri Aug 11, 11:08:00 am

 
Blogger concerned citizen mused...

Hmmmm. I am curious about those probes, though...hmmm

Fri Aug 11, 12:09:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Why am I not surprised!

Fri Aug 11, 12:18:00 pm

 
Blogger concerned citizen mused...

Hey! Do you know something???

Don't believe the lies & rumors spread about me.(also the work of aliens)

Fri Aug 11, 12:36:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

You have illegal aliens spreading rumours and lies about you? Wow, way to annoy the minorities!

PS. I know the stories are true. I've read the letters, watched the film and bought the Tshirt.

Fri Aug 11, 01:06:00 pm

 
Blogger concerned citizen mused...

what are they saying exactly?

Fri Aug 11, 01:54:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

No hablo inglés

Fri Aug 11, 02:08:00 pm

 
Blogger concerned citizen mused...

Banamos el perro hoy?

Fri Aug 11, 02:49:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

What? "...the dog today?" What's Banamos?


I'm awfully confused... maybe I should put on my anti-mind control helmet.

Fri Aug 11, 03:38:00 pm

 
Blogger concerned citizen mused...

Banamos el perro hoy?

bathe the dog today.

Fri Aug 11, 03:55:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

báñese! It's báñese! Báñese l>t!










Provide photos!

Fri Aug 11, 04:02:00 pm

 
Blogger concerned citizen mused...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Fri Aug 11, 05:04:00 pm

 
Blogger concerned citizen mused...

well 'banamos' or 'banarse'.
same thing
where are you getting this 'banese' from?

Fri Aug 11, 10:43:00 pm

 

<< Home