3/04/2009

S-kool!

I have a pitching session coming up in a couple of days at school. Basically, I get to stand up in front of a large group of people and try to convince them that I can Direct one of the scripts that was written at the school last year. There's a lot of problems in film schools where if a Director is also the Writer their 'ownership' of the piece can cause all sorts of tensions with other crew because they 'know' their work better than anyone. Our school kicks that problem to the curb by saying in the first year you can't Direct your own script (shhh... I've found a loop hole).

Anyway, so I have to pitch for a script not of my own creating. Gosh, what is wrong with the youth of today. The scripts are; Sociopath, Anorexic, Nonsensical Lying Delusional who eats a chilli meal that somehow burst his appendix (unfortunately not a comedy), A smiling homicidal maniac who cuts up grannies & kiddies.

Nothing profound.

Nothing inspirational.

Nothing moving.

Not even a wry smile.

I'm going to pitch the Sociopath script as it's part of a clear genre, Thriller, from which to draw plenty of reference.

Not to mention, Anorexics sicken me, seriously if I never had to see another one I'd be completely happy.

Nonsensical Lying Delusional is, well, nonsensical and the script was full of spelling mistakes and ill researched ideas, ie."He makes a C sharp with his finger" *cough* I think you mean Bass Clef ya numbat.

And the Homicidal Manic script uses every moment to explore all pervading fear and, not only do I get enough of that from public speaking, it really has little character exposition. Oh, and the twist at the end... it's called a twist because you're not meant to see it coming *sigh*. B is for Boring.

So, if I start getting like a single white female who dresses like his dead mother in the attic in order to boil your bunny, please forgive. It's just that the youth of today don't realise you can write inspiring works as well as dark and nasty.


Take: 16

Blogger Bimbimbie mused...

Smiling, oh a little tough Rich, I think you could credit the nonsensical lying delusional numbat with inspiration for making a C sharp with his finger. Sounds like you are going to be in for a creative challenge in more ways than one ... just leave the bunny alone Norman, he's got a tight delivery schedule to keep to ;)

Wed Mar 04, 03:44:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

I know! Every time I imagine the guy making a C Sharp with his fingers as a big dramatic gesture I can't help but snort laughter. I really hope the script writer makes it in the industry so that can be on their record as the first script. Chuckles!

Don't even get me started on how they're making us shoot a short on Easter Monday. They're offending my God by working us that day, that's right, they are offending my Choclicious God of the Order of the Hollow Egg.

Wed Mar 04, 04:31:00 pm

 
Blogger Diana Crabtree mused...

Amateurs! Children! They should be sauteed with shallots and olive oil until al dante but browned! Either that or they should take the advice of more experienced film-makers. Where would they find one though?

Wed Mar 04, 04:38:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Hey Diana,

No & only just no & really? Browned? That's gotta hurt.

Even a more experienced film-maker can't tell someone what they should write about only whether what they're writing is furthering the story/character/idea they've chosen or if it's obsolete.

I don't even know if writing about inspiring subjects is a matter of maturity because looking at the majority of films out there they pretty much cover the same subjects that these students are covering.

I'm going to guess that it's just a hard thing to write about with out it seeming cloying. A good challenge if you ask me.

Wed Mar 04, 04:53:00 pm

 
Blogger Bimbimbie mused...

Your teacher must have quite a sense of humour ... resurrection and all, lets hope it's talent and not the chocieggs being brought up *!*

Wed Mar 04, 05:47:00 pm

 
Blogger Ruela mused...

nice house!!!

Wed Mar 04, 11:58:00 pm

 
Blogger Ticharu mused...

Someone needs a hug :)

Relax man, take a deep breath, it's only film school!

Thu Mar 05, 12:34:00 am

 
Blogger Diana Crabtree mused...

I guess I just think of young people thinking that, to be artistic, you have to be shocking or (that word I HATE) "Edgy." I have nothing against shocking or edgy, but shocking or edgy for the sake of being shocking or edgy is annoying. I suppose that also fits the movies and books in popular culture too.

So I say grill 'em

Thu Mar 05, 05:20:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

well,
agree with diana above

nothing wrong with looking at
all sides -- light, dark, other -- nothing to fear, but sensational wears thin kind of quick

many artists try too hard, imo, to avoid being 'pretty', especially when starting out

art isn't about being pretty or sensational, although at times it might be(!)

actually, film school sounds like it could be fun

/t.

Thu Mar 05, 07:42:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Hopefully, Bimbimbie, it wont end up like an empty tomb. I think the school Admin, who has english as a second language, who was explaining the scheduling missed what I was trying to say. I think she thought I wanted Easter eggs on the shoot.

Thu Mar 05, 10:14:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

It is a nice house, Ruela. It belongs to my mother. She's sleeping upstairs at the moment. But you can have room number one at the hotel below.

Thu Mar 05, 10:16:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Haha! No Tich. You can save the hugs. It's just easier for me to do my job if the scripts are saying something real, are exploring something of value. Know what I mean?!

Thu Mar 05, 10:17:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

That's it exactly Diana. Shocking or edgy are fantastic. But they have to come from an internal process of the character. Not enforced on the character to make up the story. It's the difference between someone crying because they're sad rather than because that's what is expected of them.

Thu Mar 05, 10:20:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

/t. Film school is a huge amount of fun. Even with all the hard work that goes into it ;)

All parts of human existence should be explored through art. But I do wonder what 18-22 year olds whose parents pay for them come to a film school in a beautiful city like Sydney really know about the darker side of life... Maybe they do but if not, it could be why the scripts seem formulated rather than a exploration of a truth within humanity.

Thu Mar 05, 10:26:00 am

 
Blogger Ces Adorio mused...

My Dear Rich,

you should not have any problem finding someone to play the lead role. You might even let her play herself! I love the boiled bunny image. That was such a shocker when I saw that on fatal attraction. I thought, this woman is sick she will not stop until she gets what she wants or someone gets her!

Good luck with the directing job!

Fri Mar 06, 12:19:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

I do think it's kinda ironic that we're asking an actor to play someone who is obviously sick because they want to be someone else :)

That was exactly the way I felt about the bunny boiler too. Strange to think that people all over the world sit down to rabbit stew every day and it doesn't make them a sociopath in the slightest.

Fri Mar 06, 01:49:00 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home