7/17/2006

Your time is up!

Put your glass down and step away from the computer.



With about 24hrs left til deadline and two (long) scenes containing loads of character interaction yet to be completed, I was faced with the choice of either pushing on and finishing The Mill or saying 'screw it' and going to bed.

So what did I do? Well, visually The Mill looked good but did need a few colour corrections here and there, if (a big if) I could get through those final two scenes, I could probably have gotten away with the visuals. Aurally, it was Rough, capital R. Not even with the fabulous music from Ticharu proping up one scene could I cover up how sloppy I had been with the folley where it existed at all. So, I pulled out my work book and started writing everything I would change about the completed scenes if I had another week to work on the film and then watched the film again. I went to bed.

The Mill really has the potential to be an awesome little film if given the right treatment, there are other festivals. I didn't achieve what I set out to do in the given time (although I don't mind telling you that the 9 seconds of completed animation I produced each day is a pretty impressive workrate), but I don't think outlaying the thirty dollar entrance fee was wasted considering the film it's going to finally produce.


Now, if only the festival organisers didn't ring me this morning asking how much extra time I would like to get the film in. Damn! Too late, I'm going to make the film I want to see.

Take: 21

Anonymous Anonymous mused...

you have to be happy with it before you can call it "done". Congrats on how far you've come!

Mon Jul 17, 01:45:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Thanks Anonypus.

Well, there's done and then there's done. There's scrappy just got it in for the festival now give me a prize done, or there's hey this film is beautifully produced piece of art done.

Most of my films fit into the former catagory. I just didn't want this film to be one of them. It's why I held off making this story for two years, until I was adept enough to give it the treatment the story deserved.

If I'd had another week I would have considered putting in the scrappy (in my eyes) version. Tens of thousands of dollars in cash and scholarships tend to be fairly persuasive, especially when I know that no-one else in the festival will have a film that looks like mine or will tell a story quite the way I do.

Mon Jul 17, 03:51:00 pm

 
Blogger Wendy mused...

so close...you'll get em next time champ. And, with the film you want.

Mon Jul 17, 04:52:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Wendygirl! Hope you're well.

Unfortunately the film I really want would involve you, me, 3 arces of sliced deli meat and 400 gallons of ice-cream with the flavour of your choosing. It'd be like a surreal wild-life doco.

Yeah, OK, maybe not!

In the end, I'll have a film to show at festivals, so I'm not really that concerned.

Mon Jul 17, 05:32:00 pm

 
Blogger Gyrobo mused...

Sometimes when you're having fun making something, you forget how much time you've spent on it. Like this story I was just writing with Roboshrub... it was supposed to be short, concise, to the point... ended up being ten pages and taking almost a week.

Tue Jul 18, 05:13:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Ahh yes, Squidward, but you did achieve your goal.

Although my guess would be that you wrote about 80% of a book with 15% filler that needs to be slashed and replaced with further character development and an ending. An ending Squid! Remember that! An Ending! I love your book, it'd be nice to know how it all turned out.

My chin is definately up, the film does look freak'n cool (not that I'm biased, much). And, I'm not much of a tommorrow type of person, although I haven't started a new job, moved and renovated a house.

Tue Jul 18, 09:01:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Gyrobo! Stop that! You made sense!

But yeah, it's awesome when you barely notice something in a piece of work that allows it to evolve into something grander. Like this short film I'm doing at the moment, it started off as a ten second piece about a mechanical badger who spontaneously explodes for no reason and ended up becoming a exploration into the true nature of blue-collar sacrifice in an attempt to highlight the unfair impositions of current Industrial Relations reforms in Australia.

Shit, I wish that was a joke! Who the hell wants to watch a film based on that theme. I think I'll delete it from my hard-drive and do the badger story!

Tue Jul 18, 09:18:00 am

 
Blogger concerned citizen mused...

i don't care about all that shit.
i just want you & your rude self back where i can get at you.

Tue Jul 18, 10:16:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

All that shit? All what shit?

l>t, are you implying that my film is shit. Who told you? Damn!

Well, it's not very nice to say anyway, with that attitude I'm not sure I'd put myself in a position where you could get me. Actually without the attitude I'm not sure I'd put myself in a position where you could get me. And you think I'm a freak!

Tue Jul 18, 11:08:00 am

 
Blogger Calzone mused...

I thought you just did that stuff to get poon.

Tue Jul 18, 11:40:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Wealthy poon Calzone, wealthy poon!

A boy has to support his Imodium addiction somehow.

Tue Jul 18, 12:08:00 pm

 
Blogger concerned citizen mused...

Calm down bucko. jeez, I wasn't critisizing(?)your film. I am just glad to see you back.

wriggling like a pup.

Tue Jul 18, 04:02:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Squid,

I didn't know you were planning on being unemployed or torturing your wife this November?! Oh well, if it works for you.

Tue Jul 18, 05:25:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Ha ha ha!

I'm totally calm l>t, I was just jazz'n ya.

You just keep doin what comes natural.

Tue Jul 18, 05:28:00 pm

 
Blogger concerned citizen mused...

Are you maybe going to let us see a little of this film, sometime in the future?

Tue Jul 18, 05:48:00 pm

 
Blogger Gyrobo mused...

I would very much like to see an exploding mechanical badger.

Wed Jul 19, 01:03:00 am

 
Blogger Ticharu mused...

I want to see an exploding mechanical badger explode mechanically (naked) with a funky soundtrack and Gyrobo playing the part of the proud badger engineer with a pocket protector and an eyeglass!

Wed Jul 19, 07:14:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

l>t,

Yeah, I'll probably show a part or all of The Mill at some stage. There's a couple of festivals down this end of the world with the entry requirement that it's the films premiere. I haven't decided which festival/s to enter the finished film into yet, so until I'm sure I wont be showing the film anywhere.

I will continue to put up some of the production stills. Even if they're like the beer one above that is missing two major digital story-based elements.

Wed Jul 19, 01:56:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Gyrobo / Tich

Bastards, I soooo want to do that Badger now! That would be fun. Maybe once I've finished this thing I'm doing at the moment I'll spend a couple of days throwing it together.

Wed Jul 19, 02:01:00 pm

 
Blogger SafeTinspector mused...

So... no Mill yet. Ah, well. At least I showed up in time to see the exploding badger.

Sun Jul 30, 01:07:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

The Mill is there, it's in the first shot of the film, it's the rest of the film that's taking some time/

Mon Jul 31, 12:22:00 pm

 

<< Home