10/25/2006

Busy

As it's my glorious day off to sleep in, play with different projects and generally make a nuisance of myself, and as I didn't sleep in I'm attempting to make another little film for this place. Unfortunately there's a couple of location shots (the heady panorama that is my backyard) and the storm clouds are rolling in (not that that's a bad thing - Sydney needs water) so I may not get it done. I think I've cracked how to make films with some of my blog friends from other continents, that's right, all we need is a big ship to tow the countries closer and then I can walk over, OK, maybe not, but if you've seen me scouring you archives it's only because I'm raiding your pictures. Ha!

Anyway, we're burning daylight here. Action! I mean, hopefully I'll have something for you all soon.

Take: 29

Blogger Bathroom Hippo mused...


Take your time =)

Wed Oct 25, 09:48:00 am

 
Blogger JLee mused...

gotta give Arthbard a run for his money, eh? ;)

Wed Oct 25, 12:24:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

B-Hip,

No. If I don't g3t it done today then it'll have to wait until the weekend. Luckily it's being encoded as I type.

Wed Oct 25, 05:28:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Ha! JLee, Noooooooo!

I love Arthbards film. It's undoubtably better than what I just produced. But luckily I'm not into the whole competition thing. I just like producing things when I have the chance.

Wed Oct 25, 05:31:00 pm

 
Blogger JC mused...

I'm already looking forward to watching it. Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing some storm clouds in it. That'd make a nice atmosphere. There's a certain awe in the unleashed forces of nature. :)

Wed Oct 25, 08:01:00 pm

 
Blogger concerned citizen mused...

I can't wait. I'm loving everyones films. It's such an awesome vent for creativity.

Thu Oct 26, 03:03:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

JC,

Drat, I didn't include any storm clouds. I briefly had access to the backyard between the showers, thunder and lightening to film some outdoor stuff but didn't point the camera up.

Thu Oct 26, 08:45:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Hey l>t

I can't wait either. The bleeding thing is still waiting to be encoded. I don't understand how it takes over 15hrs for 3 minutes worth of video but hey, it has to happen eventually.

As for creativity... um... I think this film was more a vent for my stupidity.

Thu Oct 26, 08:47:00 am

 
Blogger Arcturus mused...

Although they are just JPEG images, you are welcome to any of mine.

Which way does the weather usually come from in Sydney? Off the ocean? From the south? The north? I still get very confused when I see Southern Hemisphere weather maps.

And, no, water does not go down a drain or toilet "the other way" in the Southern Hemisphere. Such a scale is faaaaaaaar too small for any Coriolis force to enter the picture.

Thu Oct 26, 09:19:00 am

 
Blogger Gyrobo mused...

And if wishes were horses, I'd be on fire. Logic doesn't work very well, now does it?!

Thu Oct 26, 10:01:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Hey Arcturus, I try not to use images of real people, just a preference of mine. But I'll keep it in mind - cheers.

Ahhh, the weather in Sydney... well, on the beaches it comes from the South East (ocean) but once you're inland by a couple of km/miles like me it tends to come from the South West (Blue Mountains). But then there's always the old switcheroo if the wind starts coming in from the North West, you know you're in for one hell of a terrible storm. Yesterdays rain was pathetic, hours of stop adn start rain and only .6mm. It still stopped me from filming as my main character is paper.

Well, there you go, I honestly thought that it did twirl in the opposite direction. FOr the sake of experiment I think ours flows Anti-clockwise, yours?

Thu Oct 26, 10:28:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Gyrobo!

Well, I thought it did... I'm so very confused, why would a wish transform into a pyromaniac horse... guh?

Thu Oct 26, 10:32:00 am

 
Blogger Arcturus mused...

Without going into a big, huge, sleep-inducing discussion, here it is ...

The Coriolis force together with the pole-to-equator temperature gradient drives the planet's middle latitudes and polar (i.e. extratropical) weather. It is called "geostrophic" balance. It explains the motion of air around low and high pressure systems in the two hemispheres. It governs the synoptic scale, which in turn affects the mesoscale ... tornadoes generally spin the way low pressures do (cc'w in the NH) because they are coming out of a larger environment spinning that way (at the level of air molecules, it is called vorticity).

By contrast, dust devils spin either way with equal frequency.

In order to get a cyclonic flow, there has to be a significant change in latitude -- i.e. for the air parcel to "feel" the differential rotation rate of the Earth as it moves across many degrees of latitude.

That does not exist in a toilet bowl or sink. Or if it does in some weird sense, it is orders of magnitude too small.

Rather, in that case, the pressure gradient force is in balance with the sharp radial (centripetal) acceleration. This is called "cyclostrophic" flow.

And the direction of spin will most likely be determined by the direction of the little water jets in the toilet or the 'topography' of the sink.

Now it is true, if you suspended a cylinder of water from a motionless wire (a pendulum not in motion) and left it alone for days and then pulled a centrally-placed drain plug out of the bottom, you would get a cyclonic spin, but only because all other forces have been so thoroughly negated.

Thu Oct 26, 11:05:00 am

 
Blogger jin mused...

Ohhh.....I LOVE sleeping in! It's one of my favourite hobbies!

*jin considers deleting that as it makes her sound rather dull.....*

I should be in the kitchen right now rolling out cookies, but I think I just saw a storm front pass over...I'd best wait awhile until it clears.....

Thu Oct 26, 01:37:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Arcturus, I had to ask didn't I?! Wait, I didn't...

Thu Oct 26, 02:16:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Squid!

I am not a Perv, your wife just so happens to have fantastic boobs! I have all those posts in my favourites... just in case I feel like licking the screen.

Seriously though, After I see if I can make this next film we'll have to see if Murp! is up to the task of following Direction.

Thu Oct 26, 02:19:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Jin, don't deletem, I'm with you. Unfortunately our current rental gets too much light in the mornings so by 7am I'm already awake. It's not pleasant.

How does a storm front affect your cookies?

Thu Oct 26, 02:20:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Oh yeah, FUCKING VIDILIFE AREN'T PROCESSING MY FUCKING VIDEO! Bunch of useless fucking bastards.

Who knows a good video host that isn't YouTube?

Thu Oct 26, 02:36:00 pm

 
Blogger jin mused...

Heeheeee......

"How does a storm front affect your cookies?"

Dunno...just thought it sounded like a DAMN GOOD excuse to stay on the net for another hour!!!!!!!!
;-)
:-D

Thu Oct 26, 02:49:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Gawd Jin, Here I was imagining you testing the amount of moisture in the air and saying, "No, it's still a little high. I won't get the perfect cookie browning if I bake in with the barometric pressure this low".

Mind you I imagine cooking to be like running a nuclear power station so I would believe anything.

Thu Oct 26, 02:55:00 pm

 
Blogger Bathroom Hippo mused...


Youtube is currently down right now...that's probably why. They've been having probs the last few days.

Thu Oct 26, 04:22:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

B-Hip

Dude! I don't use YouTube, I use this crappy little service called Vidilife. I think I've decided to go with google video. It seems a little odd considering that YouTube are now owned by Google but they appear to be the same type of service as YouTube but have limited rights on the dissemination of privately produced work.

Maybe.

Ah, I don't care anymore I just want my video.

Thu Oct 26, 04:29:00 pm

 
Blogger Monkey mused...

We want video!

Wishing you lots of rain to keep the fires at bay this summer.

(My brain is bleeding. This is a four day weekend from the schools and my house is filled with screaming, jumping, singing children. Help.)

Fri Oct 27, 04:04:00 am

 
Blogger Arcturus mused...

Sorry, I thought you did either here or over at L>T's blog. I got confused.

Fri Oct 27, 09:00:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Monkey! It's up! It's up! I finally slayed the Vidilife beast. Yayyyyyyyyyy! Runs around like a 7 year old on red cordial...

Oooops, sorry! I feel for you, I'll send bananas :)

Fri Oct 27, 09:11:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Arcturus, Hehehe, Don't worry about it Bro. I definitely found it interesting but I couldn't help teasing you :) You just keep doing what comes natural. I do.

Fri Oct 27, 09:12:00 am

 
Blogger SafeTinspector mused...

First, that's teh most beautiful toilette--I mean dump.
Second, my favorite moment in the whole bit was when the wee truck got stuck at teh top of the wee ramp. "Give us a push?"

Croc was fun, too.
We call it a fridge in Detroit as well, though we call toilettes "shitters".

Fri Oct 27, 09:20:00 pm

 
Blogger SafeTinspector mused...

....which is strange, because a toilette is more of a shittee than a shitter.

Fri Oct 27, 09:20:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

SafeT! What are you doing back here?

Yeah, the dunny's kinda nice in this place. It has the most perfect flush, ahhh, the simple things in life.

See, I was wondering about the fridge thing. I've had American friends that have been like, Fridge? What's a fridge? I couldn't quite reconcile that Aussies were the only ones to contract the word. Hey! We have a cultural connection with detroit, woo hoo!

Shitter! Classy! Shittee, yup, it makes sense. I'm calling it a shittee from now on. In a detriot accent no less.

Sat Oct 28, 11:58:00 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home