9/27/2006

Pindar Cave - Part 2

After lunch we decided that we really needed to find the path. Sure, we could have actually just looked left and found it but instead we decided to ask the local spirits to guide us to the cave. Can't show you the spirit that turned up, for some reason he didn't show up on film, but I can show you his tracks. He was a weird little thing with a wombat's foot, a lyre birds claw, and a tail that left a swish in the soil surprisingly reminiscent of a King Brown snake.




He seemed more interested in showing us the local flora than taking us to the cave.



So we left him behind and just followed the path. The entrance didn't look like much from outside.



But there were some ancient letterboxes at the front door.



The inside was really large and could probably sleep about a hundred people.



Unfortunately there was nothing left of the culture of the people who had lived here. Unless you count the ancient writings on the walls that said things like, "Davo loves Shazza" or "Billy smokes cock".



That's it! The cave was a bit of a let down really. The walk was totally worth it though.

Take: 41

Blogger Bathroom Hippo mused...


In a thousand years the age old question will be answered when this cave is explored again. Did Davo really love Shazza? The answer will be earth shattering.

As for the letterboxes (or mailboxes as we yanks call them)...no wonder the freakin cost of stamps is increasing....THEY CANT EVEN FIT THE LETTERS IN THERE!

Wed Sept 27, 04:49:00 pm

 
Blogger Ticharu mused...

Cool digs! Davo & Shazza had it made in the shade! Eatin' bugs and livin' in a cave, yes sir, paradise on Earth.

Wed Sept 27, 10:22:00 pm

 
Blogger JLee mused...

I was thinking how gorgeous all the scenery was, then all of a sudden pictured "Billy smokes cock" written on the cave! Thanks for ruining the moment, man...

Wed Sept 27, 11:31:00 pm

 
Blogger axx mused...

Beautiful flowers. Hope they are still out by the time we get there :-)

Perhaps your little spirits are the Aussie equivalent of New Zealands Hobbits?

Thu Sept 28, 01:14:00 am

 
Blogger concerned citizen mused...

It's the flora that fascinates me. I would like to know the names of some of those plants. Some seem familiar. I'd like compare them to my native plants.

Really great pictures BTW.

Thu Sept 28, 01:20:00 am

 
Blogger Arcturus mused...

The picture looking out from the cave (the last one) reminds me a wee bit of some of the Capital Beltway overpasses in the DC area (the Beltway is what we call the highway that rings Washington) ...

Except I don't suppose, though, there are homeless people living up under the (rock) girders.

Thu Sept 28, 06:47:00 am

 
Blogger SafeTinspector mused...

Davo is such a fucking liar. Look in the back of the cave for the mortal remains of Shazza...

Thu Sept 28, 12:03:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

My understanding from other runes on the cave wall is that Shazza, who I assume was some sort of ancient fertility goddess, is a 'bit of a sex-pot'. I think we can safely say that Davo was only using Shazza for the vertical tribal dance of seduction.

The 'mailboxes' came in all sizes, there were some which would have been perfect for mailing a severed head... and others for mailing a pinky finger... all ancient communication was sent via body parts. I wouldn't have wanted to be around when one of those guys/girls wrote a thesis.

Thu Sept 28, 01:29:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Tich dude! Hope'n your cool!

Can I have a copy of that song when you release it?

Thu Sept 28, 01:30:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Hey! I didn't right it JLee! Well, I didn't endorse it anyway. Billy is illiterate and someone had to help Billy advertise his services.

The scenery more than made up for the graffiti.

Thu Sept 28, 01:32:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Axx, welcome to GetFilms.

There wont be too many flowers out by the time the Ashes roll around. But the walks are still worth it. There's a really good book that shows most of the one day walks that are accessible by train in the Sydney region. I'd have to ask my girl what it is though. I'll let you know.

PS. You Poms are sooooo going to lose the Ashes! :)

Thu Sept 28, 01:35:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

l>t, I'm surprised our flowers seem familiar! They're not exactly well known around the world.

The flowers are from left to right;

The purple one;
The white one;
Look at that weird one;
Awwww the little fluffy purple one is cute;
Gravillia;
That pink one whose name I always forget;
Some dead Gum Nut thing;
Another type of Gravillia;
A BottleBrush;
My favourite little pink one;
That weird one again but fully in flower;
Banksia.

Thu Sept 28, 01:41:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Arcturus, we have plenty of freeway overpasses in Sydney. But no homeless people living under them. We put them all in Caves out in the Bush.

Thu Sept 28, 01:43:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

SafeT, um.... yeah.... OK.... how did you know that? The police didn't release that detail to the media! Oh. My. God! You're Davo aren't you? Aren't you!

You filthy murdering crow. By gum, if I hadn't helped you bury her I'd turn you into the Australian Federal Police!

Thu Sept 28, 01:46:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Cricket, you little cutie you!

A cock is a male chicken. Which just so happens to be the corporate symbol for the local cigar factory. When Billy says he smokes cock, he's just telling people his preferred brand of tabacco product. But you are right, it would be painful. Cancer is never fun!

Thu Sept 28, 01:49:00 pm

 
Blogger kikazinha mused...

Hey there, you do have beautiful pictures of great places.

About my work, sorry you're wrong, children's illustrations is tender, my editorial one is the opposite.You should see my website for editorial.I am both at the same time hehehe :).C.

Thu Sept 28, 07:39:00 pm

 
Blogger Ticharu mused...

What song is that Rich, dare I ask?

Thu Sept 28, 10:54:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Now Carla, that's cute! Don't challenge me to define your work.

I meant the tenderness in your childrens illustrations speak volumes. I've seen your website, your editorial work is no less brilliant. Aesthetically, that keeps me interested.

I concur! I do serious work, occasionally, but the rediculous, the sublime, the ability to let go and create freely (when I can) is why I keep doing it.

How about you? :)

Glad you like Oz. It's only an hour from the city.

Fri Sept 29, 12:05:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Hey Tich!

I believe the song started;

Davo & Shazza had it made in the shade!

Eatin' bugs and livin' in a cave.

Yes sir, paradise on Earth


I've always loved what you type in ordinary conversation.

Fri Sept 29, 12:07:00 am

 
Blogger Gyrobo mused...

I know Davo and Shazza, and I believe this to be an oversimplification of their situation.

Fri Sept 29, 10:24:00 am

 
Blogger Ticharu mused...

You mean like about how I wax poetic even when I'm just trying to get a rise out of people? It's all song material. You never know when some blogger thread will end up in a Plum Flower song!

Fri Sept 29, 10:59:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Gyrobo!

As with most modern belief systems yours is just a product of the continuing desire of the patriarchal dominated majority to preserve it's own power base. The relationship was quite simple, Davo's a slut and would write anything in order to get into Shazza's pants. Not that it took anything more than a couple of Bundy and Cokes and the promise of a ride in his new ute.

Fri Sept 29, 11:23:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Man, whatever gives you the inspiration. I personally steal all my film ideas from homeless musicians outside central station.

Fri Sept 29, 11:24:00 am

 
Blogger SafeTinspector mused...

La Federales got nothing on me, senor.

Fri Sept 29, 11:26:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Actually the file on you is quite large SafeT. You officially have your own filing cabinet in my office now... um... I mean at the FBI's office... yeeeeaaahhh, not mine, I'm not a undercover fed trying to infiltrate and expose your evil blog empire.

Fri Sept 29, 11:41:00 am

 
Blogger Ticharu mused...

Run Safe-T RUN!!!

Fri Sept 29, 11:52:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Alright, listen up, people. Our fugitive has been on the run for ninety minutes. Average foot speed over uneven ground barring injuries is 4 miles-per-hour. That gives us a radius of six miles. What I want from each and every one of you is a hard-target search of every gas station, residence, warehouse, farmhouse, henhouse, outhouse and bloghouse in that area. Checkpoints go up at fifteen miles. Your fugitive's name is SafeT. Go get him.

Fri Sept 29, 12:01:00 pm

 
Blogger concerned citizen mused...

Well, he hasn't showed up at my blog for a while, which means he ain't there.

Fri Sept 29, 01:57:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

We were just informed by the U.S. Marshal's Office that SafeT is alive and well and living in the city of Chicago. Now you all know in what high regard I hold the scumbag. So I am personally donating a bottle of twelve-year-old Scotch to whoever puts the collar on this quack.

Fri Sept 29, 02:14:00 pm

 
Blogger Wendy mused...

wow! Beautiful. It reminds me of the Cliff Dwellings here in NM. It is interesting how a world apart and humans lived the same ways.

Fri Sept 29, 02:21:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Wendy! I've seen photos of the Cliff Dwellings, I've always wanted to visit them actually, and I can assure you they are far far more impressive and culturally significant than this little deserted graffiti filled cave. But yes, they would have lived in very similar ways. And the area around this cave is really beautiful, the desert down your way is beautiful in a totally different way :)

Fri Sept 29, 03:40:00 pm

 
Blogger Monkey mused...

These photos make me miss Australia terribly!!

Thank you for risking life and limb to treck into the wilderness (1 hour north of Sydney?) to take these lovely photos. You always go the extra mile.

Sat Sept 30, 03:48:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

MOOOOOONKEY! If I was a monkey I would have pooped with excitment... I still may. You know I've missed you!

I wasn't aware that your were Miss Australia but it's no reason to call me terribly. I can imagine that would've been a hard pagent to win for a funky male monkey. But I'm not surprised you of all simians were able to achieve it.

If you jump on the last carriage of the train to Newcastle and let the gaurd know an hour laer they drop you off at the Hawkesbury River where this walk starts. It IS hard trekking but if you and Zoner ever make it out this way again I'll take you to meet the wildlife. Hopefully we wouldn't meet a vicious wallaby!

Anyway, the Sydney Swans plays in the AFL grand final today so I'm off for a round of beers, meat pies and tight shorts...

Sat Sept 30, 10:26:00 am

 
Blogger Bathroom Hippo mused...


I went to Australia once. Shazza just wasn't the same. But atleast Billy said hello.

Sat Sept 30, 10:40:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Well B-Hip, if you ever make it out of Utah and back down south you are more than welcome to come say hello. I'll send you to my Bro's place where not only would he be able to hook you up with a true Shazza or five but we could probably help you feed overly-friendly-Billy to a croc at BeeeeeerWah zoo. He lives just down the road.

Sat Sept 30, 11:48:00 pm

 
Blogger Monkey mused...

I was Miss Australia indeed! I won by wearing my pink "Hottie" shirt.

Tight shorts.... mmmmmm.

Sun Oct 01, 12:48:00 am

 
Blogger axx mused...

Walks accessible by train from Sydney sounds brill. Thanks for the info.

Poms lose the Ashes - I don't think so! Our Freddie and the Dreamers are set to hammer your boys :-)

Sun Oct 01, 02:17:00 am

 
Blogger Bathroom Hippo mused...



I miss Steve Irwin so bad =(

Sun Oct 01, 10:30:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

I thought the idea of Aussie footballers in tight shorts would appeal to Monkey :)

Tue Oct 03, 01:04:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Axx, it's my pleasure. It's hard to find info on that sort of thing in Sydney without being pointed in the right direction by a local. I'm sure your local family will have plenty of ideas too.

Pffft, in what world could England beat us on our on soil? Wont happen! But I agree the contest is going to be a corker this time around.

Tue Oct 03, 01:07:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

B-Hip, he was a friend to Hippos everywhere. Real or cartoon!

Tue Oct 03, 01:08:00 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home