10/06/2006

Philomena & Spy

I haven't really got anything to post about. Just been trying to catch up on work after a week off and the public holiday and so forth, damnable fun limiter that work stuff! Oh well, it's friday and it's almost beer o'clock.

Talking of clocks, here's another illustration of mine to tide you over for the weekend. This is the first illustration of a story I wrote to be read to children at bed time. You'll notice Philomena and her best friend Spy (the Tasmanian Tiger) in the bottom right hand corner. It's based on a poem I made up for my then 4 year old niece one night and starts off...


     Tick-Tock another day’s clock

has struck the chime of another bedtime,

and with polished teeth and pyjamas donned

we hope you dream a pleasant dream,

of an ice blue lake

between warm amber hills,

where a rainbow fish

flicks his golden tail

at a dragonfly, who dodges by

the dancing reeds

growing along the stony path,

that rambles through the… the…

     Philomena woke with a start. “Where has my dream gone? It was right here”. Philomena picked up her pillow and looked underneath. She searched through all her blankets and under her bed. She even checked in her slippers to make sure it hadn’t fallen in by accident.
     But there was no sign of Philomena’s dream.

Take: 43

Blogger pal mused...

Beautiful. Reminds me of the song Summertime .....

Have a great weekend.

Fri Oct 06, 04:57:00 pm

 
Blogger SafeTinspector mused...

That fish, splashing water on a defenceless dragon fly....what a dick!
Otherwise, I like the illustration.

Fri Oct 06, 11:03:00 pm

 
Blogger JLee mused...

that's right...it was your (or y'alls) Labor Day holiday week. See I know these things..I collect Australians.

Fri Oct 06, 11:39:00 pm

 
Blogger JLee mused...

oh, and great illustration! very Dali-ish :)

Fri Oct 06, 11:40:00 pm

 
Blogger concerned citizen mused...

looks like "sims" on mushrooms. Much better then the original.

Fri Oct 06, 11:42:00 pm

 
Blogger Arcturus mused...

The fish in the pond represents Christ ... the dragon fly represents Satan ... the drops of water coming off the fish tail represent 'the water of life,' which when joined to the points of light in the pond represent procreation, man and woman, yea verily ... but the rainbow markings on the fish indicate an affirmation of homosexuality ... the tree is the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil ... the path represents the journey of life ... the grove of trees represents nature in its wildness ... the woman in bed represents civilization ... the question mark over her head represents humanity's question of 'why are we here?' ... the dog represents tamed nature as our friend ... and the fact the moon is facing away from daylight (i.e. the sunlit side of the planet, so it should be facing the other way) represents confusion and irrationality...

Am I close? Didn't you just hate English and poetry class?

Sat Oct 07, 11:30:00 am

 
Blogger JLee mused...

wow...and here I thought it was a dream he had after eating anchovy pizza.

Sat Oct 07, 11:33:00 pm

 
Blogger Bathroom Hippo mused...


Beer o' clock?!?

Damn that Jefferson.

Sun Oct 08, 07:01:00 am

 
Blogger concerned citizen mused...

BTW, I've taken your advice & started touring through peoples blog-rolls instead of going through random blogs. a much better method, I must say. :)

Sun Oct 08, 08:51:00 am

 
Blogger Monkey mused...

What a lovely and yet somehow disturbing illustration. I do hope your keeping up with your visits to the therapist.

I like the new layout here. I do!

Mon Oct 09, 06:59:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Hey Pal,

It was good weekend thankyou.

You're not talking about that Gershwin tune are you? Cause I could never quite understand why a baby would cry if it's parents were not rich or average looking or even ugly for that matter. What a shallow fellow. My guess is you're thinking of the fish jumping line?!

Mon Oct 09, 02:03:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

SafeT, whats wrong with moistening a dragon fly... I'm not sure what you're upset about?

Mon Oct 09, 02:04:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Hey JLee

Indeed! It was our Labour Day. But strangely, there wasn't a lot of labour performed.

I'm glad you liked the illustration but poor Dali, it must be uncomfortable for him to roll over in his grave that way.

Mon Oct 09, 02:06:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

I'm not sure what these 'sims' are that you speak of... at least my copy??? is better.

Mon Oct 09, 02:08:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Arcturus, that was the biggest 'load' I've ever heard. But if that's what it means to you then I hope it added some sort of enjoyment to the picture for you.

I've always enjoyed the usage of words and language so although it's not always apparent english and poetry are some of my greatest joys.

You just forgot the first question before delving into the meaning of a piece. "What was the artist trying to convey?"

Mon Oct 09, 02:12:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

JLee, that's as bad as Arcturus' interpretation... but no less funny.

Mon Oct 09, 02:13:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

B-Hip,

You don't have Beer O'Clock in the states? I'm truly saddened for you. It is that time when your work is finished for the week and one must open a beer. It tends to fall at about 5pm on Fridays. Sometimes earlier but never, never, never later than 6pm.

But don't damn Jefferson, wasn't it him who said...

"I had rather be shut up in a very modest cottage with my books, my family and a few old friends, dining on simple bacon, and letting Beer O'Clock roll on as it liked, than to occupy the most splendid post, which any human power can give."

Mon Oct 09, 02:21:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

l>t, good for you! Enjoy!

Mon Oct 09, 02:22:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Therapist? Monkey, therapist?

What on earth is that? If you mean your good mates that you chat to about your life down at the Pub, then yes, I do keep up with my therapist, at least once a week if I can help it.

I'm glad you like and are disturbed by the illustration. I've been told that Freud would have a field day with that illustration. My response is; I don't know what you're talking about. If you're seeing something I'm not then maybe Freud would have a field day with you.

Mon Oct 09, 02:27:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Hey Squideskie - Hope you're well dude!

I dont actually use drugs for the creation of childrens work, just a combination of naturally occuring brain damage (playing with kids at their level) and imagination.

For this illustration I used photoshop. You too could easily create this type of thing. It's just a matter of knowing the programme back-to-front and having a little imagination. I know for a fact that you have imagination in spades.

Mon Oct 09, 02:44:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Nonsense, it's jus' playing & practice. It's kinda like street-art (or as must some must call it - graffiti) Don't just slap paint on the wall cause that's where you get smudgies, start off with masking and making the simple shapes and then build-up to detail. In photoshop, if you're unsure if the shapes will fit together create another layer and keep working.

It's the textures (through combination of multiple filters) that requires a little imagination and a lot of the Undo button. Doing the fish was a lot like that on this one. On the large versions of this illlustration you can see every scale on the fish. Lots of work but a good result.

Mon Oct 09, 03:41:00 pm

 
Blogger Fleur de Bee mused...

so just what are some of your illustrations of? Past acid trips still haunting you? ok kidding (or am I? lol)

Mon Oct 09, 07:19:00 pm

 
Blogger Jane mused...

:)

Mon Oct 09, 11:40:00 pm

 
Blogger Monkey mused...

Rich... Ah yes, the therapists you visit while imbibing are indeed the best. I forgot you were in Australia.

Tue Oct 10, 12:18:00 am

 
Blogger Ticharu mused...

Did you follow a rabbit down a hole? No bloody wonder you like paper tube solos!

Tue Oct 10, 06:30:00 am

 
Blogger jin mused...

EXCELLENT illustration!!!
Love the new set-up here, too!
:-)

Tue Oct 10, 09:46:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Hey BG,

What is it with you peoples and the idea that I'm a drug user. It must be my colour set. Kids love these bright pictures. I can assure you that when I'm producing work where my target audience is children there is absolutely no drugs involved whatsoever.

This particular picture is the first panel in a bed-time story I made up one night for my niece when she was about 4. Maybe I'd better post the first page of text to quash this rediculous innuendo.

Tue Oct 10, 10:59:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

I thought you might like it Jane. :)

Tue Oct 10, 11:00:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Monkey, *nods* It may just be my group of friends but it really is the only therapy I need. The best of people my friends!

Tue Oct 10, 11:02:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Tich, man! Not you too?!

I like the paper tube solo because it's a unique expression. Obviously, music as an emotional outlet (like all art forms) has impediments to expressions. I like the fact that you dont let too much stand in the way of that emotional outlet. If you need to use a Paper Tube to get the sound and emotion you want in a piece then you'll do it. To me, that's inspirational.

I don't need a chemical enabler when there's good stuff like that around.

Tue Oct 10, 11:09:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Thanks Jin.

Like cakes, the results are indicitive of how much love you put into it. There are things I'd probably change about it now, but the recipe is good.

Tue Oct 10, 11:12:00 am

 
Blogger Ticharu mused...

I was a big fan of chemical frequency modification but now I find anything like that just gets in the way. Inspiration comes through unaltered states of being much more clearly. So even though what I do sounds pretty druggy, it would just sound like crap if there were actually drugs involved!

Tue Oct 10, 11:19:00 am

 
Blogger Ticharu mused...

Hey! New Beat The Dutch on the Beat The Dutch MySpace player!
How do I get there? Rich asks.
It's easy from the Plum Flower MySpace page.

Tue Oct 10, 11:22:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Bingo! My thoughts exactly.

I'll be right over :)

Tue Oct 10, 11:24:00 am

 
Blogger kikazinha mused...

That's lovely, I would rather illustrate your story than the awful ones sometimes I have to work at.

And about the Tarot, sadly the magazine wanted to pay me a surreal underpaid budget for the project...

Tue Oct 10, 07:03:00 pm

 
Blogger Bathroom Hippo mused...


Hey you! Rich!

Make another movie! This time kill everyone! Muhahaha.

Wed Oct 11, 12:30:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Hey Carla,

Don't you hate it when that happens! I've had that happen, it's very frustrating. Unfortunately I pay myself nothing all the the time. I've had strong words with myself but I never seem to listen.

I think your illustrations would suit this story very well.

Wed Oct 11, 09:12:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

B-Hip!

I wouldn't feel right about borrowing your style. I'd love to make some web-based films with one particular furry little blogger but I haven't cracked how to do that between Oz and the US yet. I don't think killing everyone would work in those films. He's very sweet, mildly innocent and very funny.

Wed Oct 11, 09:16:00 am

 
Blogger Bathroom Hippo mused...


Hey man...

Feel free to steal stuff from me anytime! I'll even help you with anything you want.

I steal stuff from Roboshrub Inc. all the time man! They haven't told me to "cut it out" yet!

Wed Oct 11, 01:23:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

B-Hip! You inspired me. You're about to star in a video with a very special guest. It will be up sometime today. It's encoding as we speak.

Wed Oct 11, 02:14:00 pm

 
Blogger Bathroom Hippo mused...


Wuh oh!

=D

Wed Oct 11, 02:22:00 pm

 
Blogger Bathroom Hippo mused...


Oh I forgot...

When you say "today" you mean Australia time...which means my night... I'm about to go to bed in an hour man. I'll watch it as soon as I can!

Wed Oct 11, 02:23:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Indeed, your tonight.

It'll be here when you next drop through.

I really wanted to get you to do your own voice but for the sake of expediency I mumbled my way through it. Hope you enjoy it :)

Wed Oct 11, 02:26:00 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home