9/23/2006

Back from the Bush... with photos!

Hey Peoples! I've been out exploring a little bit of the Aussie bush and Aboriginal culture. The photos below are the first part of our trip to Pindar Cave which was home to an Aboriginal tribe for, ohhhh, only about 40 000 years. I would have liked to show you the walk we did along the ancient highway of the Wodi-Wodi peoples (by highway I mean invisible track that took all my bush knowledge to navigate) but I didn't take a camera. Which was a shame. We had a lot of close encounters with the wildlife. Extremely close. During lunch I looked down to see a very scaley head poking out from under the rock I was sitting on and happily using the back of my shoe as a pillow. After pooing my pants and gently persuading the little bugger to move his head I was able to determine it wasn't a snake. Only a 50cm lizard. Which quickly became six 50cm lizards and a little 10cm baby. We spent the next half hour playing hide and seek with them and convincing them we weren't climbing equipment or that our lunch wasn't lizard food. It was a unique experience, I've never met a more friendly and tenacious bunch of wild animals. Sorry, no camera.

Anyway, to Pindar...



This is the view off the train platform at Wondabyne. I have to climb that? Damn the train has already left and there isn't another for hours.

Luckily some nice person put in some stairs... surely an escalator would have been more appropriate!

We did eventually make it to the top only to find this poor Blue Gum bleeding freely. Apparently it had been shot during a drive-bye by a rival stand of Forest She-Oaks. The Aussie bush is a dangerous place.

This is the view back down the hill to Mullet Creek... I sat there for hours but didn't see a single bad haircut. Ripped off.


The track was hard to follow on this walk too. Somehow we managed to follow it.


The Greenies aren't going to be happy, someone left this whale laying in the bush. I assume it's part of some Japanese research project.


This old gentleman of the forest thought it would be a good idea to grow directly out of the rock face. ScribblyBarks aren't known for their common sense.



Why they're called ScribblyBarks! It takes local artists thousands of hours to mark the trees this way. It's not the Mona Lisa but it's a living.


OK, where'd the path go... this thing was meant to be easy to follow... um... it's out there somewhere... hopefully.



A beautiful example of tesselated rocks, or the ancient remnants of 'honeycomb' made by a now extinct race of giant stone bees. Bees!


Still no path... Only cliffs... Nice view though, time to stop for lunch!

Oh well, we're not that far from Broken Bay and Dangar Island, we can always swim back to civilisation. If you can call an island inhabited by millionaire two-headed giants civilisation. Rather than being eaten by giants I think we'll finish lunch and keep heading onwards to the cave. Mmmm, Lunch.

More later.

Take: 20

Blogger JLee mused...

spectacular pics! I like the mullet creek part, but then I've always been partial to mullets. We met the most delightful man from Melbourne tonight at dinner. He was a history teacher and we all talked about American culture, etc. and he kept on about how Steve Irwin was a "dickhead" lol

Sat Sept 23, 01:09:00 pm

 
Blogger Wendy mused...

wow! I would have loved to hike that with you. That inspires me to get Squid off his bum and get out on the trails again. Beautiful shots.

Sat Sept 23, 05:29:00 pm

 
Blogger concerned citizen mused...

I always thought my part of the world was beautiful but, yours certainly rivals it. It's the trees that make it in my book. :)

Sat Sept 23, 10:40:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

JLee

Mullets are gross! Horrible tiny little slimey bad tasting fish. You can eat them, but you'd have to be starving. Later in the day when I was waiting for the train I did see a lot of nice sized brown trout in Mullet Creek.

Steve Irwin was a dickhead. Just the right sort of dickhead. But I've never met a delightful person from Melbourne let alone a history teacher who was nice! But that's enough of Sydney - Melbourne rivalary... my many many Melbourniene history teaching friends might not like the joke.

Sun Sept 24, 05:47:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Hey Wendy!

You and Squid are always welcome to come to Oz and go hiking. This particular hike is really pretty easy. That and the diversity of terrain and the attraction of the cave make it one of the best hikes in the Sydney region. Mind you, I wouldn't go when it was too hot. There's not a lot of drinkable water out there and you'd probably walk on carpet of snakes.

Sun Sept 24, 05:56:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

l>t

I do agree, it is absolutely paradise down this end of the world. But States has more than it's fair share of natural beauty.

If you like the trees you should have seen the walk we did earlier in the week. It started on the beach and ended up in a forest of 100ft blackbutts (that's a tree, not a joke). Gorgeous.

Sun Sept 24, 06:03:00 pm

 
Blogger concerned citizen mused...

I went & goggled your eucalypts(nothing else to do at 3:00 in the morning.
It was interesting
I had no idea you have like 700 varietys. & such cute names for some of them.

Sun Sept 24, 08:30:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Yep, 700 varieties, and with a taste that can't be beat...

My favs are the Ghost Gum and the Snow Gum.

Mon Sept 25, 11:26:00 am

 
Blogger concerned citizen mused...

The bark of the trees on the "snow gum" link is amazing. I've never seen anything like it.

So now I'm thinking Australia smells like Vicks vapor-rub.

Mon Sept 25, 02:35:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Strangely, Australia smells like Wombat. Even more strangely is that Wombats smell like Vicks Vapour Rub.

Mon Sept 25, 02:52:00 pm

 
Blogger kikazinha mused...

well, you're not secret anymore :).Tell me, is that illustration with bees yours? Or it is an animated film.It is lovely, I love it.C. :)

Tue Sept 26, 08:41:00 am

 
Blogger SafeTinspector mused...

That looks nothing like the version of Australia they simulate at our local theme restaurants.
I see no "bloomin' onions," nor any hispanic waiters forced to greet me with an awkward "g'day, mate!"
I don't believe it was Australia at all.

Tue Sept 26, 01:00:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Hey Kika...zin...haaaaI have trouble typing that... Hey Carla! Sorry for lurking about your site for so long, it's nice to meet you finally :)

Yeah, the bees are mine. Just playing around really. They're the first step in getting back into doing a few of oil paintings. They're coming along quite nicely but illustration and painting isn't my greatest strength. I'd say story telling is more my thing. I'm more than flattered that you like them though.

Tue Sept 26, 01:02:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Squidoo! How you do?

Koalas are the cute little furry things. You're thinking of 'Drop Bears'. Large ugly suckers who drop from trees, sink their teeth into the back of your neck, and rip your arm off and beat you to death with it. I've only ever seen one once... once... I was the only survivor. True, it was because I left my fellow hikers for dead, crawled inside a wallaby carcass and stayed there for 3 days. I did survive though! Even if I do have to live every day with my cowardice and the dreams of olive greens, pooling blood, and the screams... oh god... the screaming...

Tue Sept 26, 01:12:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

I've eaten at that restaurant SafeT! I'd say it's an incredibly accurate portrayal of Australia... right down to the hispanics which we call 'Victorians' here.

These photos are from 'New South Wales' though. We have less 'bloom'n onions' and more 'awkard g'days'. If you could hear the photos, that would be the sound track!

Tue Sept 26, 01:19:00 pm

 
Blogger Lil Mizfit mused...

welcome 2 civilization! nice pix. too bad that there r no pix of the lizard!

Wed Sept 27, 04:49:00 am

 
Blogger Arcturus mused...

Wonderful pictures of Australia. What part of the country is this region? I don't know Australia all that way. For some reason, based on your drunken near-death-experience and mentioning mounted policemen, I thought perhaps Canada.

Anyway, there is this other blogger named Rackorf who lives in Australia. I don't know if you know him or if the Australia link was just a coincidence.

Wed Sept 27, 09:50:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Hey Mizfit,

I know, I know, I haven't even been able to find out what type of lizards they were. Funny little things that they were... well, not so little. I should put up some more pix shortly.

Wed Sept 27, 11:38:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Arcturus, this bush-walk is about an hour north of Sydney. No, not Canada, in Sydney we have mounted officers who patrol the inner city. No idea why we still have them, it's quaint really.

I haven't seen that blog, I may go check it out.

Wed Sept 27, 11:43:00 am

 
Blogger Diana Crabtree mused...

Until today, I have never audibly laughed at forest pictures...beautiful!

Thu Oct 05, 01:11:00 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home