11/07/2006

I've learnt a new word!

There's a day every year that Australians really prove their mettle as Aussies.

Today is that day! It's the day of the Melbourne Cup. A horse race. The Race (capital R) that stops the nation. From functioning as adults.

It's a day of horses, little men in brightly coloured silk shirts, of 'betting' men who briefly become experts on track condition and the lineage of some Nag that no-one had heard of two days previous.

It's a day of Alcoholic abandon, of making out with strangers, or worse, office co-workers, of expensive silk ties worn as headbands and high heels slung carelessly over the shoulder of a little dress sporting the latest in red wine stain chic.

But between the hype, the money lost and won, it is first and foremost the day of the FASCINATOR!


The "Pheasant" Fascinator


The "Black Foliage" Fascinator


The "Red Arrow-Head" Fascinator


...and last but not least. The "I've had too many schamp, champ, sczchampers. Let's go back to my place" Fascinator. Of course when this girl gives you this look on Melbourne Cup day she will appear to be a super hot lingerie model which will leave you wondering the following morning how you missed that HUGE mole on her face.

So, while I'm off getting plastered and checking out the fascinators (great word). What was the last new word you learnt?

Take: 26

Blogger Wendy mused...

what the dead birds?

Tue Nov 07, 10:11:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Yes! Wendy apparently those dead birds are called 'Fascinators'. It's a lovely word for an ugly, ugly, UGLY fashion accessory.

Tue Nov 07, 10:14:00 am

 
Blogger Gyrobo mused...

The last new word I learned was "apocryphal," thanks to the books at my local library.

Tue Nov 07, 10:44:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Gyrobo! Are you trying to say I didn't author this piece? Well I did, no doubt!

I did learn the word paronomasia from a book at the local library recently. Surprisingly it was from a book called 'Good Bees, Bad Bees'. It was about bees. God bless the local Library.

Tue Nov 07, 10:53:00 am

 
Blogger Ticharu mused...

Cleptogarchy!

Tue Nov 07, 11:12:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

You TOTALLY made that word up! That is not part of the english language in any way, shape or form.

Fantastic!

It reminds me of a doco I have at home called The Russian Oligarchs, it's about the Olligarchy of bazillionaires who 'ran' Russia but were outed by the Putin regime. Fascinator, I mean, fascnating stuff. I've never seen such frank and open access to the shady figures who run the world with money. Putin was a clever, clever boy. It'll kill him one day. If the Oligarchs have anything to do with it.

Watch it if you get a chance. It makes you understand what insignificant pawns we are to those type of people.

Tue Nov 07, 11:21:00 am

 
Blogger jin mused...

the last new word I learnt:

Beeea

:-D

Call me 'unhip' if you will, but I think I'll pass on the fascinator fashion!

(I did learn, though, that 'Aussies' & 'Brits' say "learnt" while Americans say "learned". Well...a few white trash will say "Knowed"...but we won't make fun. *giggle*)

Tue Nov 07, 12:01:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

I'm pushing it here... I've got to be gone like a half hour ago.

Beeea is my favouritist word in the whole world! Good choice Miss Jin.

PS. We are speaking English, you know, from England. It's LEARNT, grumble grumble, groan groan!

We have the same sort of white trash here. But we also get 'I Knewit' or 'knowdit' instead of 'I knew that'.

Tue Nov 07, 12:15:00 pm

 
Blogger Gyrobo mused...

I don't imply; I infer.

There's a slight difference when converting to Celsius.

Tue Nov 07, 03:26:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Your infernal inference is implicitly irritating.

Tue Nov 07, 04:33:00 pm

 
Blogger JLee mused...

I learnt the word "learnt" Have fun! sounds like a party...

Tue Nov 07, 04:57:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

It IS a party, on a national scale.
Disturbing yet wholey enjoyable, you've LEARNT something new :)

Tue Nov 07, 07:03:00 pm

 
Blogger Lil Mizfit mused...

Addendum has been the latest augmentation to my already exhaustingly exhaustive English vocabulary.
:)

Tue Nov 07, 08:22:00 pm

 
Blogger Bathroom Hippo mused...



apology: an expression of regret

I don't know how it's pronounced...but WOW man... I sure hope I'll never have to use this word.

Wed Nov 08, 12:13:00 am

 
Blogger Wendy mused...

hey! Post a pic of that mask you got from Africa...

Wed Nov 08, 06:58:00 am

 
Blogger Ticharu mused...

Putin just became the ultimate Oligarch. He's been consolidating his power all along, I mean, that would be my guess. He's one of them for sure.

Did you get my revised Monkey Theme???

Wed Nov 08, 11:04:00 am

 
Blogger Deluria mused...

Now, "fascinator" is the last word i've learnt. And, actually, i would like one. With flowers and golden insects :-)

Wed Nov 08, 07:45:00 pm

 
Blogger jin mused...

Since I value your opinion so much I widened my template...not a LOT, mind you...but a little over an inch. (I had a few problems :-S LOL) Let me know what you think!?

P.S. Did you take a picture of your cheesecake? I bet you didn't. I bet you ate it all.

Wed Nov 08, 08:54:00 pm

 
Blogger SafeTinspector mused...

advertastic: applies to MySpace, or any other advertising heavy web space.
truthiness: coined by Stephen Colbert
falliscalp: a nice way to say dick-head.

Thu Nov 09, 03:32:00 am

 
Blogger Arcturus mused...

Is that last picture a picture of you, Rich? I really like the reconstructive surgery after that encounter you had with a horse and a plexiglass window.

Fascinator.

Thu Nov 09, 07:41:00 am

 
Blogger Diana Crabtree mused...

I want one too! Will you mail us all one?

Thu Nov 09, 10:09:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Sorry people, I've been busy trying to finish something...

Mizfit, and here I was thinking Adden-dum was just somebody who added 2 and 2 and was dumb enough to get 5.
____________

B-Hip, I'm sorry. I can't help you with the usage of that one.
____________

Wendygirl, Yes, I will, shortly, I've been a little busy playing with an animated friend.
____________

Tich, Nah, I don't think he was an Oligarch, he may be now though. I just think he was a very bright man who wielded a lot of State power as head of the KGB. When he got the chance he put his opposition out of power by taking their money. Ruthless son of a bitch.
____________

Delu, I could definitely see women in your paintings wearing one. I could only imagine you with gold DragonFly's, anything else would be too plain.
____________

Jin, I've got the photo! It will be posted soon. Your site looks great.
____________

SafeT, hahahaha, falliscalp! I love it. I'm going to use that a LOT from now on.
____________

Squid, um, stook? I'm not sure I've ever heard it in that context. A friend of mine with a farm used to grow lucerne for hay feed. When cut and dried we used to stook the lucerne. You know, create haystacks.
____________

Arcturus, that's my girlfriend! Are trying to say she looks like a guy. Maaaaan, I oughta...
____________

Diana, sure. Why not. Can you believe that some women will spend up to $400 on their fascinators? I, of course, will find you the ugliest cheapest on I can find for you. I'm a very generous person.

Thu Nov 09, 10:53:00 am

 
Blogger Arcturus mused...

That's your girlfriend? No, I was sayin' IF that was you, the new look is fab ... puts you in touch with the feminine side of existence. Some people can't pull off a pretty off-the-shoulder dress look but the person in that picture can. It's okay if it's you. This is 2006. No need to get kangaroo-like hoppin' about mad.

By the way, you don't happen to own a didgeridoo do you?

Thu Nov 09, 11:35:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Hahaha! No Arcturus, it's not my girlfriend. She would slay me if I put a picture of her on the web. It's not me either, I look much better in an off the shoulder dress!

No, no didgeridoo, I've always wanted to learn though. The circular breathing would come in handy for other wind instruments I play.

Thu Nov 09, 11:47:00 am

 
Blogger dizzy von damn! mused...

i collect fascinators, but mine aren't ugly.

i promise.

also, i have a mole, but it's much smaller and less scary that that mole right there.

i promise.

Thu Nov 09, 05:30:00 pm

 
Blogger axx mused...

Loved fascinators.

My new word was heard this week -tinnies - to mean a small boat, not tin cans of beer ...... :-)

Sat Nov 11, 06:58:00 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home