6/01/2007

Fleshlumpeater



The BFG has always been on my top 5 films I would love to make. Of course, it's kind of hard in the climate of todays children's cinema to make a film about scary loin cloth wearing giants that make a daily habit of eating children from all over the world except Wellington (because of their boot-y flavour). Then there's the logistical problem of writing a script that is mostly one on one dialogue between the BFG and young Sofie that is filled with nonsensical banter playing on the written form of the English language. Ah well, I guess it'll be up to me to crack the formula and convince people to let me make it.

I still haven't gotten around to uploading anything of the puppet project I'm playing with at the moment. The puppets look pretty cool on the few camera tests I've done to make sure their mouth mechanisms work properly. Yep, their mouths work... well, one mouth works and one big nose and mustache that 'bobbles up and down effectively imitating someone talking' works. Now all they need is arms. I've only today received the 'blank' hand casts that I skived from a doll manufacturer (beg, borrow, and steal people... it's the only way to make films) so I'll start re-casting them into latex and working out the hand mechanisms this weekend. It'll should all be ready for shooting next weekend (or the one after) .

Hopefully the shoot and edit for the first episode wont take more than 4 weeks cause after that I'll BUSY. Yes busier than I am now. Busy learning, learning to produce/direct a documentary and learning the finer points of production design with the other newbies at the prestigious (*cough* *cough*) Sydney Film School. I haven't been a serious student since high school... gawd help me, how am I going to do two years of Uni... but in the film industry you need networks of people to do big projects and institutions of higher learning are a great place to pick up and refine ones skills while making those ever needed contacts. So I'm a tad nervous about the idea of having to convince people to make my films through a pitch process rather than just convincing myself and then making a film, but ultimately it's the nature of the industry and I'm keen as a savoury spread to start the course... at the soon to be prestigious, now I'm attending, Sydney Film School. (No really, they've got a brilliant track record of International Film Festival representation of their work. I wouldn't go there if they didn't).

I hope everyone else out here is doing well.

Oh... and that picture above was going to be so much more detailed but after 5 days I decided to cut it down and colour it 'cause I just couldn't get enough time to take it any further than this...


Take: 22

Blogger Calzone mused...

Freak

Sun Jun 03, 02:33:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Thanks Zoner!

Sun Jun 03, 10:52:00 am

 
Blogger Diana Crabtree mused...

Can I hire the fleshlumpeater to eat the fleshlumps around my waist, my thighs, and my upper arms?

Cheers from London

Sun Jun 03, 09:57:00 pm

 
Blogger JLee mused...

Looks like one of my exes.

Mon Jun 04, 07:49:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Hey Diana! Glad to see you made it out of Africa alive :)

I don't think Roald Dahl quite had idea that the monstrous giants from the BFG were a weight loss regime. My guess would be it's an all or nothing sort of eating.

Mon Jun 04, 12:48:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Hence why he's one of your Exes, right JLee?

Mon Jun 04, 12:49:00 pm

 
Blogger jin mused...

Oh wow...that's funny. I was going to say exactly what jlee said. LOL! Seriously!
...
...
*thinking of a new comment*
...
...
*takes a bite out of a caramel pecan chocolate bar*
...
...
"MMMMmmmmmmm."
...
...
*takes another bite*
...
...
"MMMMMMmmmmmmmmm."
...
...
*jin starts staring at the delicious little slice of heaven she is nibbling on like she does when she is thouroughly enjoying something; analyzing the flavours, the texture, the chocolate. MMMing & Ahhhing until it is gone!*
...
...
*takes a sip of strong hot coffee*
...
...
"MMMmmmm."
...
...
*she finally decides on a new comment*

Excellent drawing rich!! :-)
Will you still know me after you are internationally famous for your films or will I be cast aside like your crocodile hunter cardboard cut-out???

Mon Jun 04, 03:56:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Well, that depends on whether you share your caramel pecan chocolate bar...

No really, if ever I do become internationally recognised I will claim that a large part of my success was due to the secret ingredients contained within the Uniquely Yours cakes that I've never tried. By the time the world press has beaten down your door to try and find out what the hell I'm talking about you'll have more wedding cake orders than you'll know what to do with.

Mon Jun 04, 04:56:00 pm

 
Blogger jin mused...

I like it.
I won't let on to the press about your ingenious plan.

I will share my caramel pecan chocolate bar with you...er, or not. Looks like I ate all of them.

*jin wipes the chocolate off her lips, the caramel off her chin & flicks the pecans off of her keyboard.

Mon Jun 04, 05:49:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

I sure would like to know more about the inner workings of the puppets. My prototype is just that...
I hope your project is successful, unlike my project.

Tue Jun 05, 12:43:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Jin, It's a plan then :)

Tue Jun 05, 01:15:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Hey Squid!

The inner workings of the puppets are really simple wire triggers. Pull a piece of wire and it pulls down on the mouth to open it. I didn't actually record the making of the mechanisms but I'll be sure to include a diagram. I did record the molding process so you may be interested to see how I did the latex heads.

Tue Jun 05, 02:40:00 pm

 
Blogger SafeTinspector mused...

Bring on the puppets, Rich. You know we all want them bad.

As for fleshlumpeater, I initially assumed it was an alternative breast cancer treatment, but not now. No... not now.

Wed Jun 06, 08:41:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Hey SafeT, do I sense a smattering of sarcasm there? Just for that I'll explain more... The puppets will be along shortly, I'm still struggling with the hands. I did a mould of the hands in silcone but for one reason or another the silicon didn't set properly, either I stuffed up the two part mixture, I didn't mix the agents properly, or the setting agent is too old and has changed it's chemical composition properly. Now I have to clean the half set silicon goo off the blank hands before trying again. *shrugs* Annoying but all part of the process.

As for Fleshlumpeater, I was about your daughters age when I first read the BFG. I would suggest reading it to her, it's one of the best books ever written... breast cancer treatment and all.

Wed Jun 06, 10:14:00 am

 
Blogger SafeTinspector mused...

Rich: No sarcasm meant. Not that time, anyway.
I'll go look for this book next time we're on a book expedition. She does like the twisted funny stuff. "Bad Case of the Stripes" and "The Real Story of the Three Little Pigs" and "Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Book" are some of her favorites.

Thu Jun 07, 11:19:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Damn, my sarcasm radar is right off. I figured out why my mould didn't work. I can't read. When the mixture calls for 100:10 do not read it as 100:1, I know, the third zero was slightly faded... slightly... not really an excuse I've used the stuff before and should have remembered... It was two years ago... No excuse? Shut up, I know I'm stupid... Stupid half set goo!

Those are some great books! She'll love The BFG (The Big Friendly Giant). It's by Roald Dahl if that helps in your search.

Fri Jun 08, 09:03:00 am

 
Blogger Ticharu mused...

I hope you need loads of texturally significant soundtrack music for this project! ha ha!

Fri Jun 08, 10:55:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Ticharu, long time no type brother! As much as I love you and your texturally significant soundtrack music what I really need is some communist era workers hymns. I'd never steal your work, but thankfully the copyright owners of the music I need were the first up against the wall when the revolution came. I'll just use it and the composers family, if they're alive, can sue the new Russian govt for killing the composers before they were paid. Ha!

Good to see you back out and about again. Missed ya!

Sat Jun 09, 12:22:00 am

 
Blogger concerned citizen mused...

Hi rich! (it's me L>T) :) Jumping right into it... your fella looks like someone smacked him on the top of the head hard with a mallet.

Speaking of really great childrens books ("The Real Story of the Three Little Pigs" is pretty good, but...) I have "Uncle Shelby's ABZ Book" By Shel Silverstein. Now that is a book to reckon with.

Sat Jun 09, 02:01:00 pm

 
Blogger Bathroom Hippo mused...


FILM SCHOOL?!

You traitor!

What kind of documentaries would you like to do?

Croc-u-mentaries?

Why do I always think every Australian secretly wants to wrestle crocs? My media has failed me.

Tue Jun 12, 11:44:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Hey L>t! You look concerned! Hope everything if funky-dory with you.

I don't think I know "Uncle Shelby's ABZ Book", I'll have a look for it.

Wed Jun 13, 05:08:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

B-Hip,

Croc-u-mentaries? Terrible, terrible joke... I mean, really!

I dunno what doco I'm going to do. Maybe something on New Media. I'm not really into making docos. But I have to make one so I thought I'd do that first. It's easier to Direct a doco than a drama. An easier way to start the course for sure.

Wed Jun 13, 05:12:00 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home