3/17/2008

Shooting... myself.

What a weekend! I was shooting this years Easter movie over the weekend and... actually, I should say I was 'trying' to shoot this years Easter movie over the weekend and had all sorts of problems.


Bunny in a chroma-key setup. I didn't like the results of this lighting test
so he ended up being shot on a black background for a luma-key instead.


I've never had a film shoot like that before. All my shoots have been fast paced well organised finish early thanks for coming affairs.

But not this one. We had all sorts of delays. Sets took longer to put together than we expected, there were props (like a calendar) that required files to be downloaded and printed off that wouldn't download let alone print off, one of my new lights containing a bulb I had specifically rung the company about before purchase to ensure it wouldn't overheat the light housing decided to overheat and completely melt the light housing almost causing a fire, the Fluoro strip light (seen above) I was using as a fill instead of the melted lights decided to jump out across the room and land directly under my bare foot as I walked past so that it shattered into a million glass shards (yeah, OK it didn't jump out. I was just stupid enough to step on a light) rendering my foot very sore and making it impossible to shoot the puppets because we didn't have enough light without a replacement fluoro tube.


This was how I felt after a few hours - Burnt out! Although it's hard to see in this photo the
bulb is actually drooping downwards because the glass got so hot it melted slightly.

There was more than that as well, like Brun's head flying off two seconds before wanting to shoot with him, but those were the insurmountable problems that when added up meant that the shoot had to wrap without finishing the required shots.

I did, diligently with one other person, stick it out until 2 in the morning shooting backgrounds... Now, I'm all tired and want a sleep. Well, I have replacement fluro tubes now so the shoot will recommence this evening. Barring further disaster we'll knock it over tonight. Oh, and the company I bought my lights from had better replace my melted light for free or... well, we'll see.

What did you do with your weekend?

UPDATE: The lighting company will replace my melted light and reimburse me the cost of the bulbs I cannot use because they're too hot for the light housing. Now I can look at it as just an unfortunate inconvenience rather than an expensive stupid mistake and an inevitable no holds barred fight to the death. I just love it when people/companies do the right thing by their customers, don't you? Good for them!

Take: 37

Blogger Scarlet Hip mused...

That is the most phallic looking thing ever.

Mon Mar 17, 11:32:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

I might be hawt Scarlet but not even I'm THAT Hawt! Trust me, if you'd seen it almost at ignition point the last think you'd be thinking of would be getting anywhere close to a 'sensitve' part of your body.

Mon Mar 17, 11:42:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

They say one must suffer for art's sake. Enjoy the suffering.

I had a roomate one time put a 100 watt bulb in a 25 watt outlet. Well, I used his body to beat the flames.

Mon Mar 17, 11:53:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Oh yeah! Any normal film shoot will have at least 2 dozen things go wrong with it. But those are just the normal things that happen, and most filmmakers will laugh and say, 'how do I solve that?' come up with an answer and move forward.

But I've heard about film shoots where the universe seems to conspire against the shoot taking place... I always thought it was just that the Director couldn't think on their feet fast enough to solve the problems, but no! Now I see that yes, sometimes, the universe just hates an artistic project and calls a halt to it. Not that we'll let that stop us.

Huh? Americans have different Wattage outlets?? That doesn't seem sensible. Although it does seem sensible to use the offending party to put out the fire if using the wrong bulbs.

Mon Mar 17, 12:15:00 pm

 
Blogger Diana Crabtree mused...

I think your life is cool.

All I did this weekend was shop and eat salad.

Mon Mar 17, 01:05:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Shopping? Ewwww, now THAT is stressful!

Mon Mar 17, 01:10:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

hmmm, well...now that I'm single, some of my weekends are much more interesting. Not that I'm going to blab about it on the internet, though.

Mon Mar 17, 01:34:00 pm

 
Blogger JLee mused...

Are you sure you weren't shooting a demon bunny movie? Sounds like the set of "The Omen" or something?

Mon Mar 17, 02:42:00 pm

 
Blogger Is it sync'd yet? mused...

You should list the company with full credits for doing the right thing right here on your blog. That way they can get some good press from the effort.

People you will find often pay extra just to know that it something goes wrong the company they are dealing with will do the right thing.


Gnat.
.

Tue Mar 18, 05:22:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Handmaiden! I don't need to know such things. Yoinks.

Tue Mar 18, 10:12:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Well JLee, I am shooting a film about Easter that has absolutely no obvious reference to the meaning of Easter and it does involve an unfortunate incident and the Easter bunny. So I'm either pissing off god, if she exists, or I'm testing Karma by doing a terrible thing to a nice chocolate dispensing rabbit. So there may be some truth in that...

*shrugs*

I'll take my chances. But then again, maybe I shouldn't have sacrificed so many small furry animals before the shoot.

Tue Mar 18, 10:16:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Gnat, I would, but I'm not sure they would appreciate me advertising their poor effort in the first place that caused the problem. It's surprising how quickly word gets around about things like that.

I'm just happy that they know not to offer those bulbs with those lights again, they fixed my issue very quickly, and if anyone in the film community here wants cheap lights for use in video work I'll know I can recommend them.

Tue Mar 18, 10:21:00 am

 
Blogger jin mused...

How fascinating!
All I did was masterbate & eat chocolate.

Tue Mar 18, 11:40:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Ha! There's nothing like feminine subtlety Jin, glad you had fun weekend though...

...of course, I already knew that, I was the dude wearing the mask in the corner with the camera. All I can say is that if you're going to eat that much chocolate you've got to have some way to burn off the excess calories.

Tue Mar 18, 11:57:00 am

 
Blogger Ticharu mused...

I sat on my ass all weekend waiting to see your Easter film and you've let me down... :)

Tue Mar 18, 12:26:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Tich, you need to get a life!

Wait... by ass, you mean your Donkey don't you! All weekend! Gawd damn pervert.

You must be sore.

Seriously though, not quite sure when I'll put it up on the web. Maybe Thursday or Friday. Maybe Sunday. Just depends how much work I decide to do in the edit suite. It's looking quite good so I might spend some extra time animating some extra pieces over the top of it to give it more texture... actually, I'm so lazy at the moment I might have it ready for next Easter.

Tue Mar 18, 12:52:00 pm

 
Blogger jin mused...

Doesn't sexercise burn off chocolate calories?

Hmm... maybe I need more sex & less chocolate. I'll need to work on that.

I saw three guys in the corner with masks and cameras... which one were you?

Tue Mar 18, 01:12:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Well, of course it does but there has to be a balance Jin. I think more sex and more chocolate might be the key.

They were all me, the 'cup of tea' I gave you was making you see triple.

Tue Mar 18, 01:20:00 pm

 
Blogger jin mused...

Oh!
I'll try that out this weekend and let you know if it works!

So, since I did all the 'work' I get 70% of the profits (and more of that tea) & you get 30%, right?

Tue Mar 18, 01:38:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

What? You think making you look good on camera wasn't hard work. Sheesh! Yeah. OK. You might have a point. Not a hard job.

Of course you can have 70%... but first, here have another sip of tea.

Tue Mar 18, 01:46:00 pm

 
Blogger jamwall mused...

I'm alive. But I have to say those images give me funny feelings in my tickle spot.

Tue Mar 18, 01:55:00 pm

 
Blogger jin mused...

Awwww... flattery will get you way more % than you deserve!

*jin takes a sip of tea*

MMMMmmmm....

Wow! Rich... that bunny looks very large now... and his carrot looks suspiciously like a...

Tue Mar 18, 02:01:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

COWBELL!

No-one should call the local public toilet at night their 'tickle spot'. But I'm flattered you think about my pictures while you're there.

Tue Mar 18, 02:06:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

I've never heard it called a bunny before Jin! And his carrot does look like a bunny... wait...

Tue Mar 18, 02:08:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Well, there was reason I made that comment although I'm not quite sure why, now.

My weekend was NOT chocolately, that's for sure. I'd call it vanilla milkshakey, if I was going to attach a dessert moniker to it.

Tue Mar 18, 04:56:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

You do know that Vanilla has always been associated with Lesbianism don't you?

Tue Mar 18, 05:05:00 pm

 
Blogger Ticharu mused...

Are you sure an Easter film wouldn't make more sense at Halloween??? Just a thought...

Wed Mar 19, 05:24:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

I like your thinking Tich! Particularly considering this bunny.

Wed Mar 19, 08:45:00 am

 
Blogger jin mused...

BUNNY!

Wed Mar 19, 10:02:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Yikes! I think I'll just back out here...

Wed Mar 19, 12:47:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Well... I... um...

I don't watch Sex in the City, could be a bit of fun though...

Wed Mar 19, 12:49:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Wait L>t... I'll join you...

Wed Mar 19, 12:50:00 pm

 
Blogger A wildlife gardener mused...

How fascinating to be making films. The little videos on my blog only last a couple of minutes or so though I have often taken twenty or more 'go's' to reach the right one. I congratulate you on your prowess :)

Wed Mar 19, 11:56:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Hey Wildlife G, welcome to Get Films.

I love the 'little' videos on your blog. It must be wonderful to have such a beautiful 'set' to film in :) Your garden is delightful.

I think you'll find that it's just the nature of filming to shoot things twenty times. But when you get that one shot that looks perfect in your opinion it's all worth it.

Thu Mar 20, 08:56:00 am

 
Blogger Diana Crabtree mused...

I will pass on the opportunity to upstage Jin by posting a link of Sex and the City's "Charlotte" naked.

Instead I will say how glad I am to hear of a company standing by thier products the way they should.

Thu Mar 20, 05:43:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Diana, thank gawd you decided against it. For some reason that's just not a turn on. Charlotte is one of those people who against all odds should be completely hot but somehow always comes off as ewwww... I mean, she's got psycho written all over her. I bet in real life she damages kittens or watches badgers fight to the death or watches badgers fight to the death over a kitten she's just damaged or something. She's gross.

Thu Mar 27, 02:54:00 pm

 
Blogger Alizeth mused...

Hello there!!!
You said: "I'm not sure what these are but they look excellent. Did you make them? Do you even speak english? "

Nope, I didnt take this picture. I study architecture and this is a researching about a project Im doing on class. I'm definitely agree with you, these are amazing.
And like you can notice, I do speak english too. Thank you for your comment, even my blog is not common.
I see you got some interesting pictures on your own too, I like them.

Fri Apr 04, 01:03:00 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home