3/10/2008

Go and Play

It's Monday morning. Bleech. Oh well, at least I don't have to work long today. I'm off to meet some award winning Aussie doco maker for a documentary master class in a couple of hours. Last week I got to meet Ray Argall, who is one of Australia's most elegantly simple cinematographers, which was a bit of a thrill cause I've always admired his work. Still, bed feels like the better alternative today. Who am I? Garfield? Mondays *sigh*

Oh well, to help break up the funk, go and play over at Gnat's place. He's running an awesome contest to win some of his beautiful hand crafted glassware. Be sure to mention that I sent you because if you win I will also get another marble. I already have one of his large glass marbles from a previous contest. It sits on my shelf at home and people often can't help picking it up and commenting on it. It's tactile like that.

Funny story about that Marble actually. It features in the most bizarre way in the THIS is Alan Chapman documentary. At the start there is a play off between Alan's love of Astronomy, he even has a star in Taurus named after him, and the fact that Alan comes from a family of stars. I have a shot in the Doco of a star exploding because Alan says about His star that, "If it ever explodes you'll hear on the news that the star Alan Scott Chapman just went Supernova"... queue star exploding and title slide! It's a bit of fun and that IS the kind of thing Alan says. He's an interesting lad. Anyway, the explosion is actually a digitally manipulated photo of Gnat's marble. Wait, let me go look for a copy of it... Oooo, through the magic of editing here is one I didn't prepare earlier...


This is also the queue for the wonderful title slide music of our good friend Tich.
Talk about impressive on the BIG screen. Yeah!


Anyway, as I was saying the exploding material coming out of this star (which is actually a background NASA let me use and an eclipsed Moon I shot from my frontyard last August) is actually Gnat's marble... which is posted here. Of course, I ran a couple of digital passes over it to remove all the non-whites while still allowing the metallic elements in the marble to act as noise, then added motion blurs and animated it in AfterFX until it actually looked like an explosion. When creating special FX you really have to think outside the box, no choice.

But hey, it's still Gnat's marble under all that movie magic manipulation. And if you'd like one yourself go to Gnat's and win it.

Take: 32

Blogger Diana Crabtree mused...

Be careful letting people play with your glass creation by Gnat. Lots of things can happen to it. It could break, get fingerprints all over it, or it could get lost or stolen.

You don't want to lose your marbles! HA HAHHA HAHHA HA HA HHHH AHA HA HAH AH AH AHHHAHAHAH AH AHAH AHHHAH AH AH A I am funny. or not.

Tue Mar 11, 04:21:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Bwaha ahahha ahahahaha hahaha ahahaha ha ha ha ahahah hahahhaha hahahaha hahaha hahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaHA HAA HAAAAA HAHAHAHA HAHAAAA HA AH AH AH AH AH AHAHAAAAAA HAHAHAHA HAHAHAHA HAHAHAHA HAA HAAAAA HAHAHAHA HAHAAAA HA AH AH AH AH AH AHAHAAAAAA HAHAHAHA HAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAher

no.

Now go guess!

PS Luv ya!

Tue Mar 11, 08:41:00 am

 
Blogger Diana Crabtree mused...

Recently I was at a birthday party for my friend, and her mom (who I hate) was there.

There was a game my friend's son initiated where we had to figure out how many m&ms were in a jar. Our guesses were written in crayon on a napkin.

I was declared the winner, but the mom exclaimed "but I guessed 212" which was closer. Well I didn't want or need a jar of m&ms so I was glad I didn't win, but then she basically forced me to take them.

So she didn't actually want the prize, she just didn't want me to steal the great honor and prestige of having guessed how many candies were in a plastic jar.

Tue Mar 11, 05:24:00 pm

 
Blogger Is it sync'd yet? mused...

Damn blogspot ate my post! Again.


Very sweet. So now I have my works of art in film. Art begets art.


Gnat.
.

Wed Mar 12, 02:15:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

It's funny you should say that Diana. I went over to Gnat's to see if anyone here had actually bothered to go and have a guess. And some person over there decided to guess 1 number above my guess. I was all, 'what kind a lousy person would cut someone's guess off like that, the lousy... oh wait, it's just a guessing competition I don't mind all that much'.

It appears that some people are just inappropriately competitive.

Like me! :)

Wed Mar 12, 08:37:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Actually Gnat, The mind begets art. It just appears in this case your mind beget a piece of art that mind mind could use to beget a piece of art.

But yes, you now have your work in film... now, whether it's a good film...

Wed Mar 12, 08:39:00 am

 
Blogger Rita mused...

I wasn't going to play but know i feel I want to go & guess 1 above the one that guessed 1 above your one.

Wed Mar 12, 10:42:00 am

 
Blogger Ticharu mused...

Que music!!!! Lights! Camera!! No, sorry people, the puppets weren't ready! Try again. Que music! Lights! Camera...

Wed Mar 12, 10:43:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Ha! That would be funny. Why weren't you going to play? What? You don't like purty things?

Wed Mar 12, 11:16:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Tich, that's quite alright, it's when the Donkey isn't ready that I get really upset.

Never work with animals or children... or puppet donkeys!

Wed Mar 12, 11:18:00 am

 
Blogger Diana Crabtree mused...

Yes, this is just a guessing contest, but the prize is something everyone would really want.

I was going to go over and change my answer to 422, but I really think my answer is right, so I am sticking with it.

But if who ever filled the bowl is a stoner, your answer just might be correct. Gnat, no offense.

Wed Mar 12, 12:49:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Nah, I think both our guesses will be way off. Still, I'm not sure why my guess equates to stonerism, Diana?

One wonders if it's not wishful thinking on your part.

Wed Mar 12, 02:01:00 pm

 
Blogger Diana Crabtree mused...

420 (april 20) is the day, and 4:20is the time of day that people smoke weed. 420 is code for smoking weed.

I think the number comes from the (US) police code for marijuana offenses.

Of course you already knew that, because you are a huge stoner and thats why you made that guess.

Wed Mar 12, 02:07:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Is that for real?

420 is an American dope thing? let me googlise that... Wow!!! That's like totally fer-real. 4-20 is all about the mari-juana... whoa, no wonder the clocks in Pulp Fiction are set to 4:20! I always wondered that... And here I was thinking that the 20th April was only recognised as Hitler's birthday.

PS. Apparently it doesn't come from anything to do with the police. It was popularised by some kids at San Rafael High School in California who used to meet at 4:20pm after school to smoke some buds.

Wed Mar 12, 02:21:00 pm

 
Blogger Diana Crabtree mused...

Wow, I can't believe an australian taught me that 420 is not a police code.

I was excited that I could finally share something about my country's culture, so much is the same there isn't much to share!

Wed Mar 12, 02:32:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Ha! Yeah, the power of the I-Net.

Now that's not true. We have remarkably different cultures. It just looks the same from a distance. Once you're seeing it up close it would totally weird you out with its differences.

A difference, for instance, our cars are really just a bunch of kangaroos taped together.

Wed Mar 12, 02:57:00 pm

 
Blogger Ticharu mused...

It's OK to work with eccentic gits who are socially unaware of how uncomfortable it makes the people around them to see the donkey tear up when he comes in the room... sorry, having a flashback... take the chill pill Tichy!

Thu Mar 13, 05:47:00 am

 
Blogger Bimbimbie mused...

...thanks for the intro to Gnat's marble - have left my guess *!*

Thu Mar 13, 06:53:00 pm

 
Blogger Fleur de Bee mused...

Oh that is a very clever slide! I love it!! I kept turning up the volume on my laptop waiting for the sound effects...perhaps next time :(

I love glass baubbles so I will check him out. My husband named a star after me for a romantic gesture....que the Awwwwws now. JK (kinda campy isn't it lol!)

Thanks for the hello in the blog comments below. I am still around just busy with life and all the fun it entails!

Don't be a stranger!
xx

Thu Mar 13, 10:56:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Aww, Tich, Dude! Everyone appears to tear up when you walk in the room, not just the Donkey. The people around you aren't uncomfortable. They're jealous! Jealous of that special bond between a Tich and his Donkey.

Why am I getting the most bizarre idea for a road/buddy movie?

Kinda like that Clyde movie. Do you think it's possible to teach a Donkey to drive a car?

Fri Mar 14, 09:04:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Hey Bimbimbie, yeah, Gnat's stuff is great. He makes some really nice pumpkins. Not sure why he does that...

They're nice though.

Fri Mar 14, 09:06:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

BG, yeah maybe one day I'll put the entire Doco up on the site. One day.

Fri Mar 14, 09:06:00 am

 
Blogger Diana Crabtree mused...

Rich, He makes pumpkins for halloween silly! First 420 and then this? It's like you arent even American!

Fri Mar 14, 05:32:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Hallowhat?

Fri Mar 14, 11:52:00 pm

 
Blogger Diana Crabtree mused...

Its the holiday when children dress in costumes and beg for candy from strangers- DUH!

Sat Mar 15, 04:39:00 am

 
Blogger Ticharu mused...

Hey, if you can teach a donkey to say "I'm a monkey man" anything is possible!

Sun Mar 16, 06:42:00 am

 
Blogger Scarlet Hip mused...

For some reason I am completely confused by this post. I think I need a drink.

Sun Mar 16, 08:51:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Wow Diana! In our country we implore our children never to accept candy from strangers. Sure, I know, the perverts are upset by our stance but at least the dental hygiene of our nations children is not compromised.

Mon Mar 17, 10:16:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Tich, Oh, he'll say it. He may not like it. But he'll say it!

Mon Mar 17, 10:17:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Yeah, Ms Hip, ignore the nerdy digital compositing talk and just know that some bloke who blows glass was running a competition. That I didn't win... drat!

Mon Mar 17, 10:18:00 am

 
Blogger Diana Crabtree mused...

Well your culture is weird then.

Sorry I didn't win you a marble :( Next time, I hope.

Mon Mar 17, 01:06:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Yes, well, we do live upside-down.

You do not have to apologise, you're always a winner in my books.

Is it just me or does that sound slightly disingenuous, almost insulting... maybe I'm just an old cynic, 'cause I was being sincere.

Tue Mar 18, 01:06:00 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home