2/08/2008

CarrotLegs

Is the name that was given to this character after one of my workmates saw the original of the sketch in the last post. The name has just kind of stuck since then. So here's the puppet that I made from that sketch.

He's (Yes, after much debate at our house, it's a he... apparently) certainly got that 'hand-made' quality of a prototype but what do you expect from a little fella made from an old work sock (washed of course!).

I don't think much of his stripes. Some of which where wet when this photo was taken making them a little messy looking but they contract as they dry. So rather than use fabric-paint as I did here I'd probably get them sewn on before the 'sock' became a puppet. Either way, I still think he's terribly cute for a minor character... well, as cute as a 45 minute puppet making effort can be any way. I have about twenty or so designs of these types of puppets all based on various birds and animals and so forth but I'll probably only make one or two more, just to illustrate their use in the show. I don't think sewing is really my strong point.


CarrotLegs

Besides being an old sock he's actually a birdy-spirit of one of these fellas, or at least their cousins, who live not to far from my place. The ones that actually fly over my place, about three times a year (they're rare birds), tend to be the Short Bill Black Cockatoo which have yellow cheeks and tail. But hey, I thought red looked cool!


Red Tailed Black Cockatoo


Like all Black Cockatoos, CarrotLegs can be terribly cheeky and likes to make loud squawking noises for no other reason than it gives people a fright when they're not expecting it. But this is usually just to cover up the fact that he is really very shy and likes to hide away very high up in trees where no one can find him. He usually takes your car-keys with him, which is where they go when you think you've misplaced them, and will only return them when you're completely frustrated or when you ask him nicely for them back.

Take: 27

Blogger jin mused...

Haaahahaha!!!!
TOOOOOO cute!!!
Damn rich, you're good with your hands!
;-P

Fri Feb 08, 12:09:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Yeah, funnily he's much cuter in real life. I think it's because he's only about 4 inches high.

He was a lot of fun to make although I think if I spent more than 45 minutes on him he'd be a lot better. But, hey! It's much more about the idea at the moment.

Fri Feb 08, 01:01:00 pm

 
Blogger jin mused...

Only 4 inches?!!?
omg that's small.
*yes I am referring to the puppet!*

I actually pictured him at about a foot tall. His nose looks like a puppy tooth, you know the ones that fall out when they're a puppy!

Fri Feb 08, 02:05:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Ha! Jin, that's so... well, 'Jin' really! Yes, 4 inches IS small. By any persons measure. (Ha! that reminds me of a time a drunk friend as all despondent because he felt the girls would want more than 4 inches... I couldn't disagree with him but I could laugh at him for ever more! The drunk fool!)

Yeah, I know the teeth you're talking about... His beaky actually has I whole lot more detail in it than can be seen in this pic. I was thinking about it earlier, I should probably add some shading contour around the edge. It'd pick up better on camera.

Fri Feb 08, 02:28:00 pm

 
Blogger Shelley Noble mused...

Adorable! You've got the knack for characters!

Fri Feb 08, 09:15:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Awww thanks Shelley, that means a lot coming from the world of Halfland!

Although it probably sounds like a line, I personally dont think characters are one of my strong suits. I feel I spend (and waste) a lot of time on their design to make up for that short coming.

Where I feel most comfortable is more about designing the concepts behind shows. Every kid (boy or girl) of the right age group that I've shown the Sprites stuff too has really loved it. The last kid I showed it too (my wonderful little character of a nephew) said, "I want to see more of that. Would you hurry up and make it!" :) Bless him! Now shut-up and go home to your mother ;)

Sat Feb 09, 12:40:00 am

 
Blogger SafeTinspector mused...

Birds are sociopaths.
There, I said it.

Sat Feb 09, 01:32:00 am

 
Blogger Is it sync'd yet? mused...

The heart where the naugty bits should be is:

Creeping me out!



Gnat.
.

Sat Feb 09, 07:47:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Takes one to know one SafeT!

Birds that is...

Sat Feb 09, 02:10:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Scott! Gnat! That's! Just! So! Wrong!

Heart where the naughty bits should be? Ewww! Young man, Freud would have a field day with you. ;)

I should take a poll. Who thinks the belly button is a rude bit?

Sat Feb 09, 02:12:00 pm

 
Blogger Rita mused...

I see your imagination is in overdrive as usual. When I come over here it always makes me want to do something creative
I agree the fabric paint is rather tacky, but I've always hated the look of that stuff.

Mon Feb 11, 05:30:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Hey L>t,

I'd never used it before and figured it'd work just fine. Nah, it's not that cool. I like the sewn look around his belly though. So I'll probably just use that.

Well, if you want to do something creative, do it! :) Talk is cheap.

Mon Feb 11, 10:07:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Off topic, but I added a short chapter of Bark's saga to today's post. See what you think...

Wed Feb 13, 12:18:00 am

 
Blogger Is it sync'd yet? mused...

I kidd I kidd, it is like a heart belly button.


I think the thing is adorable.


Gnat..Scott...whatever.
.

Wed Feb 13, 05:45:00 am

 
Blogger Diana Crabtree mused...

Don't tell carrot legs I said this, but he reminds me of a penguin!

Wed Feb 13, 03:27:00 pm

 
Blogger concerned citizen mused...

talk is cheap...sure it is, but now I'm an actor!!! HA!

Thu Feb 14, 11:14:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

I see... Well, Squid, we don't do 'off topic' over here. We're all very focused.. Bahahaha... yeah, no, couldn't keep a straight face.

I have read it. And I have comments. But I'm busy tying up some loose ends at the moment. I'll be over to make more comments shortly. Great as usual though... not the ending I want, but still cool!

Thu Feb 14, 12:00:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

I see... Well, Gnat, we don't do 'jokes' over here. We're all very *looks at comment above* Oh, already did that joke...

Freud would have a field day with you. It appears you have multiple personalities as well!

Thu Feb 14, 12:04:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Diana! *Yells* Caaaaaaaarrot Leeeeeegs, you'll never believe what Diiiiiiiiiiana just saaaaaaid!

Yeah, he reminded me a little of this dude when I was making him. But then I realised it was because you cant see his legs. Once you look at the picture below and imagine those legs on him he looks a lot less like a penguin.

PS. CarrotLegs says, "I know you are but what am I?" I can see this ending badly!

Thu Feb 14, 12:11:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

L>t I guess it depends on how successful an actor you are... If you're really good and sellable talk wont be cheap. But If you're like 99% of the actors I know you'll be good and free... crazy business!

Thu Feb 14, 12:13:00 pm

 
Blogger Is it sync'd yet? mused...

Are you gett'n saucy with me?!

PS> I just got a job offer in Canberra...a good one at that. Trying to figure out how to pull it off.


Scott.
.

Fri Feb 15, 06:39:00 am

 
Blogger Rita mused...

You are right, this gig doesn't pay much, nothing as a matter of a fact. rehearsing, etc... takes up a good amount of my time, too.

I did hear that actors are a horny bunch & it's a good place to be if you want to get laid.

Not that I'm looking for that...

BTW, the more I look at your little fella the more enduring he becomes, one thing I find odd is that he has a beak & a mouth. if I cover the mouth with my finger & pretend open the beak a little he has quite a different look.

Sat Feb 16, 01:53:00 am

 
Blogger Gyrobo mused...

I call merchandising rights!

The trick is not actually selling the puppets. We'll sell subscriptions to other people so they can sell the puppets. But before they can sell puppets, they need to sell subscriptions of their own, with us getting a cut of course.

There's a word for that.

Sun Feb 17, 11:41:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Yo Gnat, nah... I getting sassy!

I lived in Canberra for years. my parents still live there in fact.

If there's anything you want to know?

Mon Feb 18, 09:16:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Well, my only advice is to go 'off script' as soon as possible and keep working the lines as much as possible until they're sound like they're not being delivered but naturally coming from you as the character.

Yeah, I agree about the beak and mouth giving him a totally different feel. But Hey, I prefer the feeling with the beak being a substitute, it's like he's a little spirit who has taken on the ownership of that particular bird rather than being born naturally to the role.

Mon Feb 18, 09:23:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Gyrobo, There is a word for that... Pyramid!

And our great pyramid will slowly take shape until it becomes an empire growing unabated throughout the world, we shall become demigods born of children's early morning TV programming, and in our rampant desire ever more Network sway we shall ascend the pyramid, board our gold plated rocket, and shoot straight for the stars. Upon our arrival we shall kill the fatted plushie calf and feast, feast upon anything we desire! Until we're all jailed for income tax evasion which was pretty silly 'cause it was just being greedy really...

PS. I already called the merchandising rights, like, last week!

Mon Feb 18, 09:37:00 am

 
Blogger Gyrobo mused...

The law is in the eye of the beholden.

Wed Feb 20, 03:15:00 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home