4/07/2008

Kayaking down Dora

This was our Kayak... maybe a little larger than most but we like it none the less. We enjoyed taking it on a dinner cruise every afternoon.




At our first stop we had to negotiate one of the proud local youth, Barry, he acted pretty tough.



But in a white wine and cream sauce mixed with mushrooms and baked pumpkin he was quite tender; particularly the bill which was fried in a Tempura batter.



Ahhh, pelicans! The other white meat. We couldn't eat just one. Poor Barry and his mates.



A very rare and strangely deformed Red Beaky Black Pelican named Ethel. Not good eating at all!



This was Stevo. An even more deformed Pelican... or maybe he was a deformed Penguin. Either way I don't want to know what they're dumping in this lake. Stevo guarded the middle of the lake. A valiant adversary. He tasted like chicken and was served in a sweet piquante pepper sauce with a fresh apricot side dish.



This was Doreen. All sorts of trouble this one. We certainly couldn't persuade her down from the tree. I think it was something to do with the smell of garlic butter sizzling in a nearby pan.



Luckily we fooled her into thinking she had won this house in a BoysTown lottery. Our chef, seen here wearing a tuft of grass as camouflage, quickly had her in the pan with the garlic sauce and lemon and served her on a bed of Jasmine rice. Not much meat on those legs but the crispy skin was delicious.



These were the luckiest locals of the day. James, Barb and Duncan. We were just too full for our Corella chocmint gelato; so we only ate their legs in Lime jello with mini-marshmallows.



And who said bush tucker had to be boring. I'm hungry now. I'm off to get some lunch.

Take: 36

Blogger Anonymous mused...

HAHA!! Excellent post - I'm really excited about traveling via Dora now! However wondering whether I will know the difference between a six fingered local or octopus if there's something in the water... which your post indicates there must be!

Mon Apr 07, 03:56:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Anonybird, it's much better in person. The variety of local wildlife is quite remarkable. I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself.

There's an easy way to tell, locals taste like chicken and the octopus are impossible to catch. In reality of course I was extremely impressed with the cleanliness of the waterway. I saw maybe one plastic bag all day on the lake.

Mon Apr 07, 04:21:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

OMG! No wonder the flora & the fauna are disappearing.

I wish someone would develop a taste for the ants that are invading my apartment.

Mon Apr 07, 04:21:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Well Handmaiden, there are plenty of birds that eat ants. Then you could eat the birds... remember it's all a complex cycle which starts with your willingness to eat wildlife.

Mon Apr 07, 04:44:00 pm

 
Blogger Rita mused...

Well, I hadn't quite thought of it that way.

Reading this post & harking back to my married life...I remember that naming each victim really could make their horrible deaths seem friendly & sociable. I'm thinking of course of all the severed animal heads my ex husband used to display in the game room. The fact that they were tasty also added to their reputation.

Tue Apr 08, 07:54:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Nah, Handmaiden obviously I agree with your first statement. I'm only joking about eating wildlife.

Although it was too easy to turn that back on you considering the posts you put up about shooting deer and turning them into hamburgers.

Of course I do eat the fish I catch. My partner Mooncar caught her first dinner on the trip, a beautiful plate sized Bream. I killed it but she gutted and scaled it which was impressive. No photo's though, people don't need to see fish gutting... or do they?

Tue Apr 08, 09:33:00 am

 
Blogger Anonymous mused...

People do! Especially about the whales and dolphins you read about in the media... Bream might not be tasty enough for the audience.

Tue Apr 08, 10:22:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Yeah, but those Media dolphins can't be trusted to tell the truth. The pictures look bad but they're completely biased. A nice Japanese scientist told me so!

Tue Apr 08, 10:39:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

The only way to redeem yourself for murdering wildlife is to eat it.

Your partner did the right thing by participating in the time honored sacrificial rituals of scaling & gutting. Did she also remember to eat the still beating heart?

Tue Apr 08, 10:48:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Crikey, we're not animals Handmaiden. Of course we ate the still beating heart. And sucked the roe from it's floppily doppilies.

That's just gross, so of course I love it! :)

I think the better statement might be to say, don't murder wildlife unless you intend to eat it.

Tue Apr 08, 11:10:00 am

 
Blogger Diana Crabtree mused...

MMMMM, your post made me hungry too! I think I'll have a snack

Tue Apr 08, 12:53:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Skeksis have always made me hungry too.

But that's mostly because they remind me of this sexy friend of have in Minneapolis ;)

Tue Apr 08, 02:40:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

And sucked the roe from it's floppily doppilies. There is no way I can top that. But I am not defeated. ARGH!

Tue Apr 08, 02:46:00 pm

 
Blogger Diana Crabtree mused...

Skin that leathery couldnt come from Minnesota, they have no sun!!! Maybe you are thinking of a girl from Texas

Tue Apr 08, 03:15:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Ah Handmaiden, to not fret, I have a thousand years of disgusting English language heritage behind me. No-one can top that.

Tue Apr 08, 03:19:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

No, it's a euphemism. The girl I know is that leathery on the inside. Has a soul with the texture of Satan's patootie I say!

Why do I get the impression I'm digging a hole I'm never getting out of... yoinks, if that girl from Minnesota is reading this I hope she knows I'm joking... hee hee heeeerrr... *eeep*

Tue Apr 08, 03:25:00 pm

 
Blogger Diana Crabtree mused...

I bet she is leathery on the inside, because she has such a sunny disposition, right?

RIGHT!?!?!?!?!?!??!

Tue Apr 08, 03:27:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

*Whew* Yes, that's exactly what I meant!

*thinks - thank god she gave me an out*

You know I kid you cause I love you, right? right? Why are you looking at me like that? And do you need a baseball bat inside? really?

Tue Apr 08, 03:44:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Yes, I know you kid because you love me. I am the girl from Minnesota. We don't know where Diana is from, she doesn't disclose personal information like that because her blog is too vulgar.

Tue Apr 08, 03:50:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Is it? I don't read Diana's blog, she bores me. It's all, 'I like this boy but he's an idiot' and 'how many calories is that'.

Of course I'd like to read your blog but from what I understand it's not so much words as naughty pictures of you in semi-attired-superhero costumes. These are just rumours of course because I don't know anyone who can afford the access. Must be great even if you do have a soul as rough as Beelzebub's boobies.

Tue Apr 08, 03:58:00 pm

 
Blogger Diana Crabtree mused...

ouch

Tue Apr 08, 04:03:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Did J Lo hit you with that bat? What a bitch!

I only say that because you know how jealous she gets. Really! I read you daily.

Tue Apr 08, 04:06:00 pm

 
Blogger Bimbimbie mused...

I don't like the way Dora is checking out her new des res. Bet she's contemplating "makeover" ... next time you look there will be Pink Flamingos lined up on that lawn *!*

Great post ... just hoping you're not giving Gordon "fluffing" Ramsey any ideas *!*

Tue Apr 08, 04:08:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

My bet is that it will be concrete donkeys actually... you know, if she wants to fit in with the neighbours!

Ramsey wouldn't know good food if he fell in it. This idea couldn't be any worse than the ideas he has now. Anyone who actually knows me will be able to tell you how seriously I take fine dining. I've never heard anything from Ramsey's mouth that would indicate he could put anything more than dolled up slop on a plate. Ooops, can you tell I don't like Mr Gordon?

Tue Apr 08, 04:14:00 pm

 
Blogger Anonymous mused...

Hmmmm, I've never understood what "h8ing" is, but suspect it's the secret to your 'fine dining'...

Tue Apr 08, 05:06:00 pm

 
Blogger Bimbimbie mused...

hew haw *!* ... what about donkey doings? lol Don't have to apologise for your dislikes of Mr Sewer Mouth .. I only know him from having to switch him off when his adds come on the tele ugh!

Tue Apr 08, 06:42:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Ha Anonybird, it's totally, like, 1990's skater (Sk8er) talk. The eight becomes 8 becomes ate becomes some totally sick dirty dude shred'n up on the world an' be'n a total h8ter cause 'is wrinkleys just don't care to know the lingo n understand yo!

...

...

Yeah, OK, there wasn't a lot to do in the country town I grew up in :P

Wed Apr 09, 08:51:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

No Bimbimbie, I've never watched his show either. The ads are more than enough.

Don't get me wrong though I'm sure his restaurant in Chelsea is still fine, although it was probably only at the top of Zagat and Harden's food guides because it catered to wannabe seen tossers (which is kinda usual for restaurants like that - especially in Sydney... can anyone say Guillaume... hehehe.) but his recipe ideas are just little, um, how to put it, English? Yes, a little too English!

No offence to the English, they're just not renowned for a history of exceptional food... unless it's brown. Their brown food is better than a lot of other peoples brown food.

Wed Apr 09, 09:22:00 am

 
Blogger Anonymous mused...

You just called me a "wrinkley"! I was too busy spitting out babies then - more confining than a country town ;)

Wed Apr 09, 03:46:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Anonybird, I wouldn't take offence. I seem to remember thinking that anyone over 23 was a wrinkly. 'Cause a young teenage skater boy in a country town is sooo intrinsically wise in that sort of way :)

Yeah, maybe I'm selfish but I've never been tempted to procreate for exactly that reason. Well... I'm not sure if I've procreated... no-one has come forth.

Wed Apr 09, 03:55:00 pm

 
Blogger Is it sync'd yet? mused...

Those birds look like good eat'n.


Gnat.
.

Thu Apr 10, 02:02:00 am

 
Blogger A wildlife gardener mused...

Ha ha ha ha ha ! Excellent post. Great pics :)

Thu Apr 10, 02:40:00 am

 
Blogger The Phosgene Kid mused...

Nice bird pictures. I found pelican to be a bit on the fishy side though...

Thu Apr 10, 03:27:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

You know it Gnat! The only thing better would be anything.

Thu Apr 10, 08:40:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Thanks Wildlife G. They're not frogs legs but they're pretty nice.

Thu Apr 10, 08:43:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Ha! Phos, those pelicans were fishy for sure.

Actually, it's pretty cool to sit on a kayak and watch Pelicans feed on bait fish in the shallows. They fish in groups of about 5 or 6, surround them is the shallows so they can't escape and just pig out. Really proficient, well... more so than me and a piece of twine and a hook.

Thu Apr 10, 08:47:00 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home