5/13/2008

I dont normally do these types of posts

because it's not my work but everyone in the entire world really should see this brilliant piece of animation.


MUTO a wall-painted animation by BLU from blu on Vimeo.

Just crazy! This dude 'BLU' deserves some type of award, wait, I'm sure he'll get it.

Anyway, Hope everyone is cool. Chat to you soon.

Take: 26

Blogger Anonymous mused...

That was cool, thanks for showing it! I liked from when the hand turned the corner with the diamond, and it just got better from there ... going underground, around corners etc. with bat-like emn and ants were great!

Tue May 13, 05:24:00 pm

 
Blogger Anonymous mused...

An 'emn' is a mass of men. I made that up ;)

Tue May 13, 05:25:00 pm

 
Blogger Rita mused...

Now that was just totally freak'n awesome!!! Thanks!

Wed May 14, 12:19:00 am

 
Blogger Shelley Noble mused...

Ingenious. Remarkable, at moments, sublime.

What creative use of animation. I love the approach of using daylight so much, I want to be brave enough to shoot mine that way.

I found some of the animation images disturbing, but then so often when people loose their subconscious it does go to this kind of imagery for some reason.

However, I am in total awe of the fearless attitude of BLU that enabled them to use city buildings for such a massive achievement as this film.

Wed May 14, 01:43:00 am

 
Blogger Diana Crabtree mused...

That was incredible! I am assuming he or she got a licence to do that, because how else could they do it without getting arrested?

Wed May 14, 03:16:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Anonybird, I make stuff up all the time.

Yeah, 2D animating in the 3d world is quite a remarkable effect. I could watch this again and again.

Wed May 14, 09:06:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Handmaiden, You thought that was awesome? You should check out the other animations on blublu.org, they're done in a more traditional medium but they ideas encapsulated in this person animation are worth seeing.

Wed May 14, 09:08:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Shelley, there were a few times during this that I thought the obvious changes in times of day were detracting from the animation... and then I kicked myself into remembering what I was watching. Brave is exactly the right word; if we're not a little trepidatious at the start of animating a sequence then can it be said we're really pushing ourselves as animators/artists. BLU seems to pull it off quite effortlessly but you just know there were moments where they really wondered if they could pull it off.

As for the disturbing images, yes, if you look at the artists site there's a lot of imagery about either drug use or people losing their identity to a 'system'. Not easy subjects by any means.

I think your project although very different is equally ambitious. Reach for the sky! Oh wait, you're still working out how to put the sky into HalfLand ;)

Wed May 14, 09:18:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Hey Diana, I'm not sure if the artist got a license to do it. They're background is as a street artist. They'd be pretty used to breaking the law to paint their work.

A lot of the big scale stuff appears to have been shot in run down parts of Buenos Aires so there's a real chance they didn't need a license. Some of the 'street level' work appears to have been shot from inside a car, probably used a camera dolly, but there's a real chance that it was so they could make a quick get away.

Pretty exciting way to do a project, hey?

Wed May 14, 09:24:00 am

 
Blogger Bimbimbie mused...

Very creative ... do you suppose he had a childhood mishap with a Babooshka doll *!*

Wed May 14, 11:21:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

That's an awfully good question Bimbimbie! :) Too funny.

Wed May 14, 11:40:00 am

 
Blogger Ces Adorio mused...

Wow, that is amazing! Awesome!Thank you for sharing it. Hello!

Wed May 14, 12:46:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Indeed! I try to imagine what this guy would do with a script writer... I don't think structured story really suits his fluid style though.

Wed May 14, 01:53:00 pm

 
Blogger The Phosgene Kid mused...

Reminds me of some of the cartoons form the 60's...

Wed May 14, 02:54:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

For me it's like a really disturbing version of the Sesame Street animations from the 1970s! Yeah!

Totally a Yellow Submarine experience. :)

Wed May 14, 03:12:00 pm

 
Blogger jin mused...

Damn... I can't watch it right now, I don't have enough time...

I swear I'll come back and watch it in it's entirety!

I will too!!!

Sheesh... just be patient... no need to get your knickers in a twist.

Wed May 14, 03:51:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Jin, really, it'll be there later... like reeeeeeeeeeLAX!

PS. What if I like my knickers knotted?

Wed May 14, 03:56:00 pm

 
Blogger jin mused...

Kewl... I'll relax... in fact I think I'm going to go try and catch 3 hours of sleep before I have to get up and start working again... remind me why us young hot artists torture ourselves like we do?

PS. Then buy yourself a thong and try to wear it backwards.

PPS. Post a montage of photos as proof.

Wed May 14, 04:29:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Because we're old souls and want to look that way before our time ;)

PS. OUCH!

PPS. DONE! I'm just not telling you we're they're posted.

Wed May 14, 04:36:00 pm

 
Blogger arthbard mused...

That's really beautiful stuff.

Speaking of ... er ... unconventional animation mediums, did you ever see this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxZJYbVd1hE

Okay, it's rather a bit less, shall we say, ambitious than the BLU project, but still pretty cool.

(Incidentally, looking for that video again, I just saw that the same user apparently also has a music video animated with an Etch-a-Sketch. I shall have to view this, straight away.)

Sun May 18, 03:26:00 am

 
Blogger Ticharu mused...

Awesome!!!! You should steal their idea!

Sun May 18, 06:54:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Wow Arth, that was, well... is annoying to harsh a critic?

Damnable Robots!

Mon May 19, 09:15:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Tich. Totally awesome. I would totally steal his idea... except that he's spent so much time developing it no matter what I produced he'd always be leaving me in his dust. He can have it. Me? I'll, I'll, I don't know what I'll do... maybe take up knitting?

Mon May 19, 09:18:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

That kind of stuffis cool when you see it in a video, but when it is happening in your living room it kinda freaks you out.

Tue May 27, 01:34:00 am

 
Blogger SafeTinspector mused...

A bit on the PLymptonian side of the street, but I can't believe how long this video is. It would be impressive at a quarter the length!

Now if only it had a more meaningful narrative than "wouldn't it be cool if..."

Mon Jun 02, 04:34:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Squid, TrueDat!

SafeT, That's why there are script writers.

Tue Jun 03, 04:55:00 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home