5/22/2008

It should be remembered...

...that one doesn't always need a camera to make films.




I haven't actually watched Whirligig for a couple of years now. I see it in a very different light than I did when I first made it. Although it's a shame it's not at higher resolution for you viewers... I know, shhhh... who ever heard of a filmmaker wanting their audience to see their film in the best possible way. Deep down I secretly love the design I did on this film and I'd love everyone who sees it to see it as I designed it. It's designed for the big screen. To me it was so lovely on the big screen... my opinion only. Typical Director! :)

Anyway, I can say I'm a lot more forgiving of the film now. When I first released it I was all too critical of every frame I felt had something out of place or was animated badly. It's nice to be able to look at it with a more relaxed mind set.

I'm also fairly shocked at how bare the sound track is... I guess that's what happens when you're not using music and don't have a professional sound mixer. I quite like it :) I also like the fact I have this back up in the big wide world webernet. I should fix more of my broken film links.

Anyway, who needs a camera!

eeep, me!

Take: 41

Blogger Anonymous mused...

What a lovely way to end a Thursday! Thanks for posting Whirlgig, I feel like a rainbow :))))

Thu May 22, 06:15:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Don't be fooled by the Rainbow Anonybird, there's a pot of gold at the end... but there's NO END! No one needs that enigma.

Thu May 22, 08:09:00 pm

 
Blogger Ruela mused...

I think is fantastic,
good job.

Thu May 22, 11:42:00 pm

 
Blogger Rita mused...

Oh I remember when you first shared this film :) I still love it just as much. ♥

Fri May 23, 12:55:00 am

 
Blogger Shelley Noble mused...

Wow, Rich. That's a very deep film, I loved it.

Fri May 23, 01:18:00 am

 
Blogger captain modroom9 mused...

That was brilliant. I loved every second of it. I could sit in a cinema all week watching films like this.

Fri May 23, 06:34:00 am

 
Blogger Bimbimbie mused...

Sigh *!* Wonderfully Entrancing. I loved it all, beautiful *!*

Fri May 23, 07:17:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Ruela, Thinking is fantastic.

Seriously though, thanks dude, I appreciate the comment.

Fri May 23, 08:52:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Yeah, Handmaiden, I that was easily the best comment stream I've had on this blog.It's nice when people such as yourself approach these subjects intelligently.

As opposed to my normal style ;)

Fri May 23, 08:54:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Thank you so much Shelley.

I'm used to animators casting a very critical eye over that film. It was a story about a subject dear to my heart.

Fri May 23, 08:56:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Me too, Cap'n, me too.

We used to have a great programme called Eat Carpet down here which showed an hour of shorts from around the world on Friday night (the timing was perfect so that it could be watched just as you poured in from the pub). It was little wonder that I 'grew-up' wanting to make short form films.

Now, now there is the Web. Continue the Magic!

Fri May 23, 09:02:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Thank you Bimbimbie. Entrancing is a such a lovely way to compliment the slow pace and static picture frames for which I strived.

Fri May 23, 09:04:00 am

 
Blogger Diana Crabtree mused...

I wish so much I could watch it again and write gushing comments like everyone else :( (I am on a hotel computer :( )

I cant believe you could ever criticize that! But I suppose it's that critical eye that made it so good in the first place :)

Fri May 23, 02:08:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Your Hotel sucks Diana! How dare they stand in the way of more gushing comments on my site.

I don't criticise it, I pass a critical eye over it. There's many things I would have changed if I'd been able to spend more time on them before the festival deadlines. But that's only visual stuff, I wouldn't have changed the story at all.

Oh, and remember to wish Jennifer happy birthday from the future. it's her birthday here already. But I know it's not until tommorrow there.

Sat May 24, 11:00:00 am

 
Blogger The Phosgene Kid mused...

Hmmmm - no workee. Probably my crap browser. Any news on if your camera can be fixed or no? Hope it can.

Sat May 24, 02:02:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Hey Phos,

It's YouTube, so it must be your browser. Have you tried upgrading it? I use firefox.

I don't expect to hear about the camera until next week. I'm sure they'll be able to fix it. It's just a matter of how much it'll cost. Any over a G and I'll probably invest that in another camera.

I'm using a high definition camera this weekend for one of my gigs. It's pretty freak'n cool. We'll see how long it takes me to geek out and buy one anyway.

Sat May 24, 08:19:00 pm

 
Blogger Anonymous mused...

You're right! THERE IS NO END!!!

*sob*

Sun May 25, 05:51:00 pm

 
Blogger KB mused...

Wow! I'm blown away. That was absolutely gorgeous. In every respect. Thanks =)

Mon May 26, 10:38:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Don't *sob* Anonybird! Jack'll be back.

On my way back from filming I even checked the bottle brush trees in my hood where I know there are Rainbows to make sure he wasn't hanging near us... and if he turned up he get such a beak adjustment for making everyone worry... and a hug...

Mon May 26, 11:44:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Hey KathBee,

Welcome to GetFilms! I'm so glad you liked it. There's plenty of other video linked in the sidebar, some even made for age groups more akin to your audiences. (I apologise for any links that are broken... something I intend to fix one year)

I'm definitely looking forward to hearing more of your songs.

Mon May 26, 11:50:00 am

 
Blogger The Phosgene Kid mused...

I'll have to try it again. KB could probably provide the sound track for one of your vids.

Mon May 26, 12:05:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

How can you live without youtube Phos?

I must admit Phos, I did entertain the opposite thought... I could provide the vision for one of her songs. Vid clips are really fun, especially when the songs are fun.

Although, I've never actually directed one, only DoP'd on them.

Mon May 26, 12:10:00 pm

 
Blogger Ces Adorio mused...

When I first watched this last week, I was mesmerized by the voice of the narrator. This is a fantastic film. I wonder why we don't have more of this. Maybe it's because it's quite artistic and intellectual. I think people are used to the dumb stuff on television.

Mon May 26, 01:28:00 pm

 
Blogger Anonymous mused...

Thankyou for scouring the bottlebrushes G3TFilms! Listen to Ces, she is right ;)

Mon May 26, 04:49:00 pm

 
Blogger Bimbimbie mused...

psst ... quick fly over to anony *!*

Mon May 26, 07:23:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Hey Ces, Thanks. The V/O is the ever lovely, irrepressible and often crazy Mooncar. In addition to being a wonderful voice artist she also has the dubious honour of being my partner. Hey, if she can put up with living with me AND my voice Direction she's gotta be some sort of superstar right?

Ahhh, yes, the question of popularisation... I think this sort of thing will always have a limited audience. It's in exactly the same way that documentary has limited audience. It's nothing to do with being artsy or intelligent but more to do with people watching media as a way to unwind and turn off. It's why I tried to keep the story as simple as possible and leave a lot of the content below the level of awareness. So it's there if you look for it but it doesn't try too hard to distract from an interesting little film.

But TV should be better, unfortunately really good consistent writers who can walk that line between content and enjoyment are few and far between. I wish I was one ;)

Tue May 27, 08:52:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

I was looking at a bunch of Rainbows as I walked to work this morning Anonybird, if only I'd had time to read your blog last night. That rapscallion!

PS. It's always easy to listen to people who praise your work Anonybird. But it's the critics (not the idiots in the media who offer opinion as a critique), the true critics who offer analysis who are hard to find and get interested in ones work.

Tue May 27, 08:58:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Bimbimbie.

I will, I did, Aye Aye Aye, Woo Hoo!

Tue May 27, 08:59:00 am

 
Blogger Bimbimbie mused...

... bet he had some explaining to do to his Wing Commander. Hope Possum hasn't been hero worshiping Jack *!*

Tue May 27, 11:36:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Indeed! If he keeps up these unauthorised flights we'll have to rename him Prince William instead of King Jack.

Shhh, quietly... to tell you the truth Possum isn't quite as tuned in as Jack. Only yesterday he figured out that if his door is open he can fly out, let alone how to pick the lock when it's closed. Possum is lovely if not a bit of a bird brain.

Tue May 27, 12:44:00 pm

 
Blogger Bimbimbie mused...

... ha ha ha ha ha ha Brilliant *!*


oh nooooooo no no no ... you've just insulted poor possum! Tis we humans who are bird brains. He's training you into a false sense of security, be very careful *!*

Tue May 27, 03:52:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

A false sense of serenity? That sounds nice Bimbimbie! Oh, security, you're probably right. He's studying us.

We thought it was very cute that he sat in his cage with the door open for hours and chirrup at us angrily as if to say, 'Oi! Are you getting me out of here or what?'.

I was so pleasantly surprised yesterday that he flew out of the cage. I think the break through came about because he was having trouble working out how to get back into his cage to feed so the previous night Mooncar spent a good half an hour showing him how to get to the door from all sides of his Mansion. It appears he also learnt not only how to get in but also out.

Tue May 27, 04:04:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

BWARK!!! I heard ALL that BIRDBRAINS!MWHHAHHAHHAAAA!!!!!

Tue May 27, 05:12:00 pm

 
Blogger Bimbimbie mused...

See he's a smart little possum *!*

I'm following King Jack's adventure, he's led me here ...

Tue May 27, 06:29:00 pm

 
Blogger Gledwood mused...

Something of that style reminds me of the French cartoon Agrapine... do you know that one? Tis my friend Rebsie's favourite kiddies' tellyprog... not that strangely Agrapine severely resembles HER!!!

Wed May 28, 03:48:00 am

 
Blogger Anonymous mused...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Wed May 28, 10:16:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

PS: Sounds like Bird Mooncar is a Secret Agent of the feathered variety! Well done Mooncar helping CHIRRUP, Chi'ip, Tsup, Chirrup, Tsup, Chi Chu, Chirrup, Tsup, Soooowoowwoo Chirrup with new 'door trick' BWARK!

HELLO GLEDWOOD!

Wed May 28, 10:17:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

I followed King Jacks adventure too Bimbimbie... now I feel drunk *hiccup* How'd I get shoome show fasshhh...

Wed May 28, 03:30:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Hey Gledwood, do you have a link to that French cartoon? I tried googling it and came up with nothing. I'd love to see it.

Wed May 28, 03:32:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Hello Comment Deleted, if I'd been you author I would have removed you too... I don't know what you said but I'm sure it was ridiculous!

Wed May 28, 03:33:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

It's funny Jack, she is wonderful with the bird but when he's out of the cage he always settles on my shoulder. I think it has something to do with him thinking I'm a toilet.

He flew out of the cage by himself again today. We believe we know why it took him so long. It's a little door and it appears he thinks he has to 'fly' out the entrance from a perch rather than fly to the entrance and then go out. Crazy burd!

Wed May 28, 03:35:00 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home