6/04/2008

Playing with Paper

So, a long time ago now I found this cool website where they give you free designs to make all manner of paper birds. They're lots of fun to make and look at. They're what my Japanese friends would probably call 'kawaii'. Go, make, have fun!

So as I continued playing with the ideas of dragons I thought to myself that it'd be really cool if the dragons came directly from the imagination of the child and the best way to illustrate that would be to have the dragon come to life directly from a child's drawings, ie. you could have a Nani-bird-style dragon where the designs on the dragons are the chidlers pictures and then stop-mo animate the paper dragons running around the room destroying things.

So, last night while watching that His Dark Materials movie (which I really quite like, 'cause I understand it will never be a patch on the books, except for some of the voice direction) I had a go at creating my own little paper dragon. He needs some design changes to his snout and will have to be somewhat bigger to animate properly but I think he worked out really well and is quite cute. With some wire inserts it would be quite animatable in my opinion.




Now, if only I had children's pictures. I guess I could go all out and ask the local supermarket to co-sponsor a colouring competition with me, with the 'winners' being included in the video clip... Hmmm... is that direct advertising to the age group the song is intended for or what?! And we'd probably get at least 20 pictures back to make into Dragons. Hmmm... I'll have to talk to my financial officers (that's Me and Mooncar ;) BTW) and see what we can rustle up as prizes. I like the idea of that.

Of course, It'd mean I'd probably have to finish this project *cough* Easter film still needs some editing *cough*.

So, what do people out there in the big wide world think?

--------------------
UPDATE: Paper dragon Mk II - The snout is heaps better now but he still needs a couple of changes.


BURN!

Take: 58

Blogger Anonymous mused...

We're big fans here of origami and other forms of paper folding! I like the idea of 'using' children to design the dragons for you :) Be prepared for some scary results, their imaginations aren't just wild these days but terrifying! Hehhee

OH NO the Easter Film!!! You shouldn't have reminded us.... ;)

Wed Jun 04, 02:48:00 pm

 
Blogger Diana Crabtree mused...

I love that you used it as your avatar :)

Wed Jun 04, 02:53:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

I've got Nieces and Nephews in that age group Anonybird their imaginations are wonderful. Mind you, the nephew with ADHD is remarkably terrifying as well. He tried to beat me up with a cricket bat not so long ago.

Wed Jun 04, 03:06:00 pm

 
Blogger Anonymous mused...

He's ultra cute! How about some teeth and spikey bits? THIS is a nine year old's drawing ...

Wed Jun 04, 03:08:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

What? The dragon has invaded my Avatar? Oh. My. God. They're everywhere... help, help, they're...

well, better than the smoking Monkey. It needed an update.

Wed Jun 04, 03:09:00 pm

 
Blogger Anonymous mused...

Ooops, commented at the same time ... your nephew beating you up isn't cute. What age group are you looking at? I think your Nieces and Nephews would be delighted to help!

Wed Jun 04, 03:10:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

That's a super cool drawing. But I'd probably prefer a colouring comp so that they fit my design.

Yeah, I want to redesign his snout so that there's room for teeth. Spiky bits will be individually put on to help individualise each dragon.

Wed Jun 04, 03:11:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Sorry Anonybird, got momentarily busy there. Yeah, the sprogs would be more than happy to help... I'm talking about the age group that goes with Kath Bees song. What ages do think that would be? I'm thinking it'd be pre-schoolers to year two or something like that.

Wed Jun 04, 03:32:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Wait... Diana! How did you know I'd used it as my Avatar? I hadn't posted any comments at that stage? Hmmmm?

Wed Jun 04, 03:40:00 pm

 
Blogger Anonymous mused...

That's just scribbling then! Perhaps you could suggest techniques like stamping and straw blowing for their creative use ... just a thought. Or ask Primary aged children to 'design' for their younger siblings...

BTW your profile is cute too ;)

Wed Jun 04, 04:15:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Just scribbling! Oh Anonybird, When you were five years old were you just scribbling when asked to colour something in? I strongly doubt it. There was a reason behind your choice of colour whether you remember it or not.

Pablo, of the recognisable sort, once said something to the effect of, 'It took me two weeks to learn to paint like Monet and a life time to paint like a child'.

I'm a great defender of people who believe in the choices of a child; Even when it's as arbitrary as whether a paper dragon should be pink or green.

Wed Jun 04, 08:50:00 pm

 
Blogger Anonymous mused...

Okay! I agree to that, just didn't understand to what extent you couldn't design the dragons yourself };-} It's all about marketing! Great idea ... hehheheee

Wed Jun 04, 09:41:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Annnnnonyyyyybiiiiiird! Marketing? Really? Is that what you think it is. I just thought is was seeing the beauty of young peoples colouring in.

The reality would be that I'd give a feint outline that would mark out on the paper where the dragon would be and the kids would colour that in and then I'd cut out the template and glue it together to make the dragon with the kids designs on the outside. How is that Marketing? Except that the age group interested in a colouring comp would be the same age group wanting to listen to KB's excellent song. Is it marketing or symbiosis?

Wed Jun 04, 09:56:00 pm

 
Blogger Anonymous mused...

HAHA, it's whatever you want it to be G3TFilms!

Thu Jun 05, 08:57:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

I want it to be Lime flavoured. Green is good.

Thu Jun 05, 09:08:00 am

 
Blogger Anonymous mused...

Better use recycled paper made with cordial then ...

Thu Jun 05, 10:03:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Or I could use Limes?

Thu Jun 05, 11:11:00 am

 
Blogger Anonymous mused...

BRILLIANT! The children can decorate with a food fight!!!!!

Thu Jun 05, 11:39:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

When it comes to fruit, I'm a lover not a fighter.

Thu Jun 05, 12:20:00 pm

 
Blogger The Phosgene Kid mused...

Very life like paper dragon, may want to forget the fire-breathing part, though.

Thu Jun 05, 02:05:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Ha! I don't think so Phos. I'm sure I could have all sort of fun with paper dragons and fire. Paper fire that is.

This is only a prototype. They'll be much better with the bugs ironed out.

Thu Jun 05, 02:31:00 pm

 
Blogger Diana Crabtree mused...

Thats pretty crazy that I knew, right? It's because I am psychotic. I mean Psychic.

Someone was looking at my blog specifically in June & July of 05. During that period I had an exciting online friendship with a girl who liked to play spidersolitaire and threaten suicide.

I had linked to a blog by this girl's husband, where he wrote some sci-fi fantasy type of stuff, I dont remember because it was far too boring to read. And Satan commented on his blog!

I thought "Satan has a website? NO WAY!" and I went to it, and sneaky devil, it linked to you!!!

I suspect the devil was the one who changed your avatar.

Thu Jun 05, 02:58:00 pm

 
Blogger Diana Crabtree mused...

Hey...does the winning child have to live in NSW? And do they have to be younger than 31?

Thu Jun 05, 02:59:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

The paper dragon is very cute. It appears you are talented with paper.

I'm wanting to make a sky lantern. Do you know what shape a octangular is? Apparently it is the shape to cut out for a sky lantern. the bottom is supposed to be smaller then the top, so at some point the octagon shape deviates...

Thu Jun 05, 03:30:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Diana! You are psychoticchicchick? Uh oh... you are, like, totally stalking me! I knew you would because I'm, like, dead sexy and stuff. Is that you who keeps ringing up my house and breathing heavy into the phone. 'Cause it's totally hot in a 'super creepy hope you're not hiding outside the window with a axe' sort of way. Which is totally what I look for in a first date/stalker/futuremotherofmychildren.

:D

I think Satan met you through Og's site BTW! Remember those high heels she used to whack him with... yeah, not as hot as being stalked by you.

PS. Yeah, OK, it wasn't until I looked at my site meter that I realised you'd come to the site through my profile.

Thu Jun 05, 03:42:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Oh, sorry, the answer to both those questions is yes. But you're allowed to put a drawing into the competition and have it put in the film as long as you're willing to be disqualified from prize winning.

Thu Jun 05, 03:44:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Actually Handmaiden, he's really crappy looking. I didn't have a glue-stick, so I sticky-taped him together instead. He's a bit crumpled as a result. He'll be much better when I make him bigger and out of stronger paper.

I know exactly what you're talking about but for the life of me I've never built one. There HAS to be instructions out there on the web. octangular is eight sided.

Thu Jun 05, 03:48:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

You could probably use these pictures to make one.

http://www.skylighter.com/fireworks/help/Skylanterns_Instructions.asp

Thu Jun 05, 03:49:00 pm

 
Blogger Bimbimbie mused...

I just saw your new avatar over at anony's ... Mk 11 dragon is looking great with the teeth and flames *!*

Fri Jun 06, 05:33:00 am

 
Blogger Anonymous mused...

Look at MkII!! I like the teeth, glowing red eye and of course scribbled lime and orange :) WHAAAAA he's spitting fire!

Fri Jun 06, 09:02:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

I like the new avatar too. It's fun when there's more than one comment on a page and it looks like the paper dragons are synchronised dancers. Too much fun!

I think he looks a little scary Bimbimbie! Just the way I wanted it.

Fri Jun 06, 09:12:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Anonybird, interestingly enough, the scibbled lime is actually a photo of some grass that I put of over the template of the dragon. There's a little extra pencil scribbled in there around the mouth because I didnt like the way it looked.

Don't be too scared Anonybird it's only pretend fire. It doesn't really burn, see, I'll show yo *tsssssssss* ArrrrrrrrrrgGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH! It's HOT. Everyone RUN!

Fri Jun 06, 09:18:00 am

 
Blogger Bimbimbie mused...

I think Burn is nicely scary ... I can hear those little squeeeels of happy terror coming from the kiddywinks *!*

Fri Jun 06, 12:22:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

That's actually an interesting point Bimbimbie, paper toys like this are so fun for kids to make and yet the people who seem to enjoy it the most tend to be adults.

Strange!

Happy terror squeels are so much fun :D

Fri Jun 06, 03:04:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

WHAAAAAAA-HAHHAHHAHAAAA-WEEEEEEEE WHAAAAA!!!!!

Fri Jun 06, 06:40:00 pm

 
Blogger ..................... mused...

you could talk to your local elementary art teachers about getting
dragon drawings ..
of course, it's summer now .. no school.
cool idea though ..

(foam)

Fri Jun 06, 09:27:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Rich
He's looking awfully cute. The fire is a nice touch.
He inspires me to creativity.

This is the site where they mention octangular. It looks like you start with a octagon & balloon it out where it widens. since the top of the finished lantern has to be wider then the bottom. That's what I figure anyway.

Sat Jun 07, 12:13:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

That's the spirit Jack!

Look! Dragon! Grrrrrr!

Mon Jun 09, 11:22:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Welcome to GetFilms Foam.

In truth, it's Winter here. And as far as I know, School is operating as we speak. I guess there's many, many options. It'll be fun seeing how this thing pans out.

Mon Jun 09, 11:26:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Thanks Handmaiden.

hmmm... yeah there is something about that design that's not spelt out. They're bad instructions. But it shouldn't be too hard to figure out. Basically you just need a light weight sleeve closed at one end with a fire underneath it.

A friend of mine did something similar with a normal large plastic garbage where I grew up. It flew right across town and got a mention as a UFO in the local paper. Ha! Have fun!

Mon Jun 09, 11:31:00 am

 
Blogger Murp! mused...

You sure made a lot of those. I was counting each one as it appeared on the screen, but i lost count after eleventeen. At what point do you set them on fire?

Mon Jun 09, 01:25:00 pm

 
Blogger Bimbimbie mused...

Morning*!* Has Burn morphed into MkIII over the weekend?

Tue Jun 10, 09:26:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Don't you know Dragons serve The King!?! BWARK!! Keep away from my Castle, Dragon!

Tue Jun 10, 09:35:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

MURP!

Long time no see! I've missed you, you little psycho. Eleventeen was the funnest one anyway.

There is a film I saw on Shelley Nobles blog, 50% Land, that actually had animation done with both ice melting and paper on fire. That looked a little too intense for me... I only set them on fire for my own private pleasure.

Tue Jun 10, 09:45:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Hey Bimbimbie!

I would say the dragon has morphed yes. But there's also some potentially exciting news involving the Dragons and the inventor of the Nani-Birds who I contacted in Japan to make sure he was cool with me modifying his designs. But that'll have to wait...

As for filming the Music Video *shrugs* Maybe I'll just do my own little dragon film. *shrugs*

Tue Jun 10, 09:50:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Wow! Dragons serve Elvis! That must make them sad that he's gone into hiding. He's not hiding in your castle is he King Jack? Is that why the Dragons are trying to visit.

Tue Jun 10, 09:52:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

I'm The KING! I'm The KING! I'm The KING, Silly! BWARK!!!! I'm also hiding ...

Anon made a film with melting ice and fire but it was during prehistoric times. Anon making the film, not the film subject.

Tue Jun 10, 10:06:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Oooooooooooooh, Jack I'm sorry. It would appear that I just haven't received the memo from the Dragon Guild that you've taken over the leadership. I'm sure we'll recognise your position... the moment the memo comes through ;)

You tell that Anonybird there are some of us out here who are more than a little interested in prehistoric ice and fire films. Should totally come out of hiding :)

Tue Jun 10, 10:24:00 am

 
Blogger KB mused...

Wanna know what I'm thinking?.....A CD as the prize....I win that way too! ;) AND what about paper everything - bed, boy (can he be singing it kinda? )etc... I like your dragon and (sorry Phos) the fire is a very cool idea. Yay =)

Tue Jun 10, 10:35:00 am

 
Blogger Bimbimbie mused...

I think your Dragon deserves his own movie ... is that his name - Burn or his temperament *?*

The Japanese connection sounds interesting

Tue Jun 10, 10:49:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

It's about time you turned up Miss Kath Bee! :D

The idea of doing something completely in paper is really cool. The film I shot at Easter (which still hasn't been editing) was done with paper backgrounds and puppets bluescreened into the action. It certainly makes for an interesting look. The only thing I found was that there was a very short life on the paper sets as they warped when even the smallest amount of moisture was present. It was super fun though.

I think a CD as a prize would be great. But I'd want to get the idea right and tested to make sure it works before we talk about running comps. Although, I'm sure between Get Films, Kath Bee and Nani Bird we could come up with some cool prizes.

Tue Jun 10, 10:54:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Bimbimbie, He could be a star... or some type of bright burning object.

I think it's his name, temperament, and favourite past time.

Tue Jun 10, 10:58:00 am

 
Blogger Gyrobo mused...

You're the original sensational origami swami!

He has your eyes.

Tue Jun 10, 11:37:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

G-g-g-gyrobo? Eeeep! It's, It's, It's a ghost! A robot ghost? ... in the machine... Ahhhhh.

Yeah, Ok, that's a little over the top. Nice to see, through my paper eyes, that you're not dead.

PS.. You'll find the original is over at Nani Bird. I'm more the temporal aberrational origami swami.

Tue Jun 10, 12:03:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

I'M The King of the Castle and you're the *BWARK*! Hhehheee Hello loyal Subject :)

Tue Jun 10, 03:17:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

I don't remember seeing a single red-neck in the Castle... wait, they were all Red-necks... that doesn't narrow it down!

Tue Jun 10, 03:24:00 pm

 
Blogger arthbard mused...

Groovy dragon. I like the fire breathing ... Or tulip vomiting ... Either way, it's adorable.

Sun Jun 15, 11:12:00 am

 
Blogger Ces Adorio mused...

I love the avatar and now that I know the story, I love it even more.

Mon Jun 16, 12:11:00 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home