6/17/2008

What's new in the world of film

The simple answer... nothing... there is nothing new happening. Except for maybe the strange blurring of lines between New Media and what Television Stations are calling 'New Media' as a way of somehow branding their products as hip and funky for their ill educated Gen Y target audience. But lets not get into THAT discussion, it's boring and ruled by the fact that there doesn't seem to be adequate ways of eliciting revenue from true New Media products so we have to masquerade old media as something new. Happily there ARE new films in the world of film and I've just spent a goodly amount of time sitting in dark rooms watching what Australia and the World have to offer at the Sydney Film Festival.

One of the more interesting sessions was the Dendy Awards screenings. With the documentary Rare Chicken Rescue probably the stand out film. It had that uniquely Australian flavour that we love so much down here.

There was also a short film about a dead Maori boy whose white friend, although somehow responsible for his death, went to the lounge room based funeral to say his farewells. The film revolved around the stand-off between the Maori family and the white kid. As an allegory on the state of affairs between indigenous and western culture it was probably the film with the most compelling idea in the session as it tried to talk about how without forgiveness and the giving up of anger on the part of the indigenous culture their future would be one doomed to destruction. It's just a shame that this excellent idea suffered from some really poor Direction with everything from the on-set cues, to the shot choices, to the editing being a decided turn off to the intrinsic message. Film can be an unforgiving medium even when using the best ideas.

There was also a film whose cinematographer was a very close childhood friend of my families. I'd heard along the grape-vine that he was involved in the industry and it turns out that Adam is now one of Australia's most talented young cinematographers. Good on him. His visuals in the film at the awards saved what I felt was an otherwise ho-hum effort.

But that's enough from me on the world of film. Whenever I critique other peoples work I always end up feeling like a bit of a duck-head. Who am I, with my film offerings, to tell other filmmakers what they should and shouldn't create. It's not like any of my films have appeared at SFF.


Duck Head
Compiled from Duck featured in The Mill and random emo girl.

In other news:
  • DSR is back, finally! YAY!
  • I haven't touched anything to do with Dragons all week.
  • Possum is molting... no, not molten, molting.
  • I'm trying to hire a camera operator for football.
  • I'm trying to get an appointment with my surgeon to convince him to operate before the shut down the elective surgery for Catholic Youth Week.
  • And a thousand little things need to be done.

I hope everyone is having fun out there.

Take: 61

Anonymous Anonymous mused...

SAVE lost breeds of poultry! BWARK! You sound good as a duckhead. DUCK! *flutter*

Tue Jun 17, 01:48:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Ha! Oh, there's no doubt I can be a duck head. Usually when there's a drive by pooping.

JACK, Don't be such a chicken and flutter-bye. It's a very cute movie with much humour and pathos.

Tue Jun 17, 02:59:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

I was in a rush! What's DSR doing for dinner, shooting any ducks? Are Catholics afraid of deformed faces? I think having a duck head is more scary. How do Possum's feathers taste?

Tue Jun 17, 03:47:00 pm

 
Blogger Bimbimbie mused...

I wondered if you got to spend time at the Sydney Film Festival. I think I may have seen the Rare Chicken Rescue doco recently on the tv I enjoyed it - I'm avoiding clicking on links at the moment to save on my on line time so I can't comment on your other two links.

So little Possum is going through his first molt - is he going to be a deeper green?

Ooooeeerrr I'm probably going to regret asking this question but is your surgeon a Catholic Youth? *!*

*!*Tsup King Jack*!*

Tue Jun 17, 03:53:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Quick! Rush, Jack, RUSH!

DSR shot that duck on top of the girls head. He didn't shoot the girl though, but being an Emo she may have deserved it.

Catholics are afraid that with so many in one spot that if there is a terrorist attack on the Pope and he needs a micro-maxiofacial surgeon my Dr will be operating on me at the time. I say the new Pope looks so evil already that a face blast may do him so good.

I think having any duck head inviting the worlds youth to Australia for a sleep over is VERY scary!

They taste like malt.

Tue Jun 17, 03:55:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Yup Bimbimbie, I believe it's already played on ABC. It's a very good doco. They also had one on the ten-pound poms who immigrated during the 50s and 60s. That was a slow start but ended up being a funny lovely doco too. Although the Computer Graphics looked a bit cheap.

He is! Poor little fella. At least he's loving getting his head scratched at the moment. I'm not sure if he'll be darker. I hope not, he's a nice avocado at the moment.

No, all Sydney's elective surgery is cancelled during that period in case there's a large scale emergency. My surgery is scheduled for the very last day before the cut-off.

TSUP*!* He's been demoted here at GetFilms. He's now Baron Von Jackerninny. Not until he defeats the hordes invading his Kingdom shall his title be restored.

Tue Jun 17, 04:03:00 pm

 
Blogger Anonymous mused...

That's not just a duck DSR shot, but a Chestnut Teal! How uniquely Australian flavoured do the rare chickens taste? It's too late to find out at 8pm on May the 6th. The press kit is impressive.

You must take some 'during' and 'after' snaps of Possum so we can compare him to his 'before' shots or we might not recognise him. Malt is good.

What day is it when they cut off your head, I'm not up on when the Catholics invade Sydney and will avoid Hyde Park at all costs if the Pope's government manages to pay the bond first. I'll also have to avoid gambling at Randwick Track that weekend. How long do they keep you in the surgery before the Pope's face is blasted?

What thousand little things need to be done?

Tue Jun 17, 05:27:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Anonybird, that's fantastic, I was wondering this afternoon what type of muck-duck that was. On the day I filmed it I needed that exact shot and expected to spend hours getting it, 3 minutes into the shoot that good ol' Chestnut Teal popped up on a rock and played for the camera. Good ol' Chesty Teal!

They taste veeery unique. I highly recomend a serve if the ABC chef puts it on the menu. I haven't looked at the Press kit... but that's my weakness, I've not much interest in the press.

Possum would be so embarassed of his porcupine face... I'll do it!

It should be 10 July the cut me up and the surgery should 'only' take about 10 hours... groan... I'd prefer the catholics. I had drinks with one of the head co-ordinators (non-catholic) of Youth Week tonight. His advice, AVOID AT ALL COSTS... you'll have the time of your eternal life! Hehehe.

Oh, you know, everything from a second pre-admission examination to review camera operators show-reels to buying some new PJs. *shrug* Lots actually... *sigh*

Tue Jun 17, 09:04:00 pm

 
Blogger Albrecht von Krappa mused...

Ich denk you trinkin drinkin a cuppa tee mit der ducks like in meine new Krappa filmen yah.

Wed Jun 18, 01:34:00 am

 
Blogger Bimbimbie mused...

Duckhead wasn't loading properly for me yesterday but now I see her. Was Chestnut Teal attracted to emo's fish like eyes*?*

Oh, you ARE having surgery - I thought you were having a little joke about the upcoming invasion of Sydney.

Tsup*!* ooohhh! the King has now become a Baron lol

Wed Jun 18, 06:00:00 am

 
Blogger poopee shmoopee mused...

hai!

Wed Jun 18, 10:02:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

I'm no Baron Von Jackerninny! You get a projectile poop for that and NO eyebrow pluck!

Wed Jun 18, 10:19:00 am

 
Blogger Anonymous mused...

Heehee, Chesty must like the emo as a nest because grooming his chest :)

YAY porcupine head shots!

I keep forgetting we're being invaded by young Christians trying to hear the pope, and not just Catholics! Might go bush that weekend and think of you being cut up. Seriously, good luck you'll be fine and won't notice the Christians because bedridden for a bit.

Put the PJs first on your list! Hospitals are cold and after they make you wear a backless gown you'll be thankful :)

Wed Jun 18, 10:25:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Albrecht von Krappa, your film is a work of madness... sweet, sweet tea flavoured madness. Remind me to pour water on the duck.

Wed Jun 18, 04:38:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Ha! Bimbimbie, Chesty Teal was attracted to her nest like hair, her fish like eyes, AND her weed... um... well, she is an emo. Surely she has some weed on her.

I was having a joke about the upcoming invasion of Sydney, unfortunately it's a joke at my expense because it'll probably mean I wont get the surgery.

I know, if he slips any more he'll be a princess.

Wed Jun 18, 04:41:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Poopee... um... that's really rude! Tsat! to you. ;)

Wed Jun 18, 04:42:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Now, now Baron. Don't be like that. I've seen that how those Noisey brats have taken over much of your castle. You are lucky you haven't been demoted to Countessa. :)

Dang, and I wanted to be so stylish.

Wed Jun 18, 04:44:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Anonybird, I KNOW! And I don't even own a pair of PJs. At least the gown will make all the nurses feel as sick as I do.

I think Chesty Teal is VERY comfortable in his new home.

Wed Jun 18, 04:46:00 pm

 
Blogger The Phosgene Kid mused...

I smell a remake of the Maori boy film in the wind, now that the ol' camera is back in action....

Thu Jun 19, 06:27:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Ah, I doubt it Phos. Somehow I think that if you're going to make a film about how indigenous cultures need to meter their approach to reconciliation with white culture the filmmaker needs to be of that indigenous culture. Otherwise it's a little too much like us 'whitefellas telling them blacks to get overit'.

Now the camera is back in action I plan to shoot paper dragons... and football.

Thu Jun 19, 10:17:00 am

 
Blogger Murp! mused...

Is that Mooncar? You really need to tell her that when applying her eyeliner, she missed.

Thu Jun 19, 01:26:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Murp!

Mooncar is not only much prettier but she doesn't have that much purple hair, wear that much make-up, wear clothes with detachable sleeves. She does, of course, wear a duck.

Thu Jun 19, 01:36:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Ummm, so you are finally getting thr evil twin detached? I will be thinking good thoughts about that. Since I,m not religious that is the best I can do. Quite inadequate isn't it?

Sincerely, "Best of luck to ya anyway!"

Thu Jun 19, 02:21:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

That's the plan Handmaiden. Whether it goes ahead or not is up to the gods... and as I'm not religious either the gods are what I call the doctors. I'm sure they'll do a fine job if I can get them to actually do the operation.

Thu Jun 19, 04:03:00 pm

 
Blogger Is it sync'd yet? mused...

Is that what you emo girls looks like down under. They look more like the homeless here.


Gnat.
.

Fri Jun 20, 10:16:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

*pling*!* That was flicking your eyelid. I saw you wink! BWARK!

Fri Jun 20, 10:46:00 am

 
Blogger Rita mused...

I hear Doctors can perform miracles if you give them enough money.

Re: Emu kids. There are at least two kids in town that think they are emos. There is also one guy I'm not sure of. He wears a ring in his nose & an orange dress. Well, he's not really a kid either, he looks about 35. I don't know what to call him.

Fri Jun 20, 02:17:00 pm

 
Blogger Diana Crabtree mused...

Why would you want to outsource the job of camera operator for nude womens soccer?

"Emu" kid, ha ha ha!

Fri Jun 20, 03:01:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Gnat, the homeless in your town look like cute little emo girls... they need somewhere to live, you should export them to my bedroom!

Fri Jun 20, 04:48:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Jack!

0.0

My eye!

o.0

My eye!

^.0

My beautiful eye!

x.0

It's been damaged by a feathered countessa!

+.0

Someone call the pest control!

X.0

My eye!

0.0

Just kidding! Had ya worried though.

Fri Jun 20, 04:53:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

hahaha! Emu kids... they're like goths but with long necks?

I believe they call that guy a Scotsman!

Fri Jun 20, 04:54:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Diana, I need to outsource so the Doctors can give me noggin a floggin. I'm really miffed with my institution actually, I emailed them a couple of times and spoke to the head of drama but they didn't forward my job offer to the students. What, students dont need extra experience and money? So I don't have a camera operator for this weekend. Twats!

Emu kids... Heeeeee... I know you are but what am i?

Fri Jun 20, 04:58:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

A Scotsman! Ha! I'm going to ask him next time I see him if he's Scottish. He'll probably lift up his dress or something.

My eyes!

♥♥

Sat Jun 21, 06:49:00 am

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

*peck* *peck*

ooops

Sun Jun 22, 05:49:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Yeah, no, I wouldn't ask him to lift up his Kilt, he might poke out your etes with his Claymore.

Unless you're into that type of thing...

Mon Jun 23, 12:00:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

SWAT!

*spiral out of control*

*crash*

ooops

Mon Jun 23, 12:00:00 pm

 
Blogger Anonymous mused...

POOR little JACK!

Mon Jun 23, 01:57:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

He's alright Anonybird. It's part of our new stunt parrot role.

Mind you, THAT was how he REALLY hurt his foot. Stunt parrots are brave but not known for their high survival rate.

Mon Jun 23, 02:41:00 pm

 
Blogger Bimbimbie mused...

Ahaaaaa! So those minor marauders at King Jack's Palace were actually after his beakograph now that word's out he's moonlighting over here Tsup*!*

Tue Jun 24, 06:41:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Yes Bimbimbie, the Countessa Jack the Stunt Redneck is the biggest thing since Jackie Chan's Uncles Stunt Carp.

Tue Jun 24, 12:16:00 pm

 
Blogger The Phosgene Kid mused...

Crazy bwana making films of paper Maoris.

Can;t wait to see the dragon film!!!

Tue Jun 24, 01:59:00 pm

 
Blogger Anonymous mused...

Can't wait to see the Easter film too! Will that and the Dragon one be finished by the tenth or next Easter?

Tue Jun 24, 06:30:00 pm

 
Blogger Ruela mused...

Just fantastic!



Thank you g3t.

Wed Jun 25, 07:39:00 am

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Yeah, the dragon film should be fun Phos. Now, if only I can get some time to sit down and play with them a little more. Should be possible by the weekend I think...

hmmm... I wonder what craziness I have on this weekend...

Wed Jun 25, 04:32:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

I think the Easter film will be for next Easter. The dragon film will probably end up as my project to play with while recuperating after surgery. We'll see. Everyone involved in the dragon film, both Kath and the Nani-Birds, know it'll be a drawn out process. (Hahaha, animation/paper, drawn out... I kill me)

Wed Jun 25, 04:34:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Thank you Ruela... but it's definitely time for an update on something else.

Wed Jun 25, 04:34:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

You ever go to make a pork sausage and find its got hairs all in it?

Thu Jun 26, 02:02:00 pm

 
Blogger The Phosgene Kid mused...

The USDA allows a certain percentage of rat hairs in each sausage so no worries.

Sun Jun 29, 05:18:00 am

 
Blogger merlinprincesse mused...

I'm loosing you all.... :(

Mon Jun 30, 01:25:00 pm

 
Blogger Lapin Poulain mused...

MP is loosing you all...

Mon Jun 30, 01:26:00 pm

 
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

I'm here MP! I'm NOT lost! BWARK!!

*gasp* WHERE'S Possum!?!

Tue Jul 01, 10:01:00 am

 
Blogger The Phosgene Kid mused...

losing?

Tue Jul 01, 01:38:00 pm

 
Blogger Diana Crabtree mused...

http://jcsimpson.blogspot.com/2007/05/corkscrew-penises-and-fancy-vaginas.html

Tue Jul 01, 03:46:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

No Squid but I have gone to make it with a real porker and found her too hairy.

But you know, that's the price you pay when you've dated Ms Eastern Block.

Wed Jul 02, 02:28:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Phos!

Rat Hairs? What about pigs, don't they have hairs? What's the quota for pig hairs in a pig sausage?

Wed Jul 02, 02:31:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

MerlinPrincesse, I don't know who you are... who are you losing? Personally, I hope you are personifying the pixels on your screen and are talking to them about losing them due to a temporary screen fault which can be fixed by a simple degauss. The thought of losing people is would be terribleness.

Wed Jul 02, 02:34:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

So she says Master Poulain but everyone is still here. I'm not sure who she is talking too?! I think it's a faulty monitor that is to blame.

Is Poulain French for 'whiskers'? Because if Lapin was French for 'curly' then it would make a lot of sense. Although if Poulain meant Buuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnneeeeeeee then it would make more sense for Lapin to mean 'inanimate' or 'stuffed' or 'pot bound'; these are the questions we need answered in life!

Wed Jul 02, 02:39:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Jack, if you insist on shouting the occasional word while talking to Ministers of Parliament that way at least put on the cerimonial hat and embroidered Kangaroo skin socks.

Possum is in a dirigible, wait, no, that's his body. He is in his body.

Wed Jul 02, 02:42:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Phos

Winning!

Wed Jul 02, 02:43:00 pm

 
Blogger G3T Films mused...

Diana

Pervert. You are a pervert!

Wed Jul 02, 02:43:00 pm

 
Blogger merlinprincesse mused...

I yam who I yam.... That's because my English is very impurrrfect. I was loooosing the sense of that virtual conversation.... Lapin means Rabbit and Poulain is a family name (Like Emilie Poulain) meaning also foal... Clear? I hope not...heheheh...

Sat Jul 05, 02:00:00 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home